October 09, 2023
2491 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2692 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

I am resurrecting the F:ATCast

More
29 Mar 2018 17:01 - 30 Mar 2018 00:03 #266654 by Josh Look
I am resurrecting and re-envisioning the long dormant F:ATCast, the official podcast of the Fort.

I feel like the survival of the site rests in generating new content, and that content needs to live in places beyond our corner of the Internet here. Things have slowed considerably on the front page, and I’m not pointing fingers or putting anyone on trial here for it. Those of us on the staff do not get paid for our work here, we do it because we have a passion for it and the community here. Even if we were still pumping out new articles 5 times a week, I still think we wouldn’t be growing. We need to embrace mediums outside of the written word.

Enter the new F:ATCast. What I’m setting out to do here is something not just completely unlike any other board gaming podcast, but something unlike most other podcasts period. Something that stands as an example of what this site is all about: Quality, curated content different and more in depth than what’s typically found on BGG or other gaming podcasts, with a strong inclusion and participation of a stellar community to back it up.

What I’ll be doing is picking a topic, be it a specific game, publisher, genre, designer, mechanic, etc, and I’ll be putting it out to you, the F:AT community to talk about it. I’ll be writing up “questionnaires” for you guys to fill out and send to me. I’ll edit your responses into something of a cohesive narrative and then, with a team of readers, read the compiled content, with the readers taking the “roles” of personalities from the site. I know some people might want to read their own responses, but I want to maintain a level of sound quality (or consistency, at least) and I want the timing of this to fall on me and not other people.

Hopefully this gives you all an idea of what I want to do and that some of you will be willing to help out. Any questions, let me know. I’ll be settling on a first topic soon enough, or if you have a suggestion, let’s hear them.
Last edit: 30 Mar 2018 00:03 by Josh Look.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Mar 2018 17:26 #266658 by Not Sure
How about an audio unboxing episode?

(sorry, my shitposting nature is strong)

On topic, this sounds great. Count me in for responding, although my random schedule would probably preclude me from doing much more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Black Barney, Josh Look, Colorcrayons

More
29 Mar 2018 17:34 #266659 by Josh Look

Not Sure wrote: How about an audio unboxing episode?

(sorry, my shitposting nature is strong)

On topic, this sounds great. Count me in for responding, although my random schedule would probably preclude me from doing much more.

Awesome, thanks! Like I said, I’m not looking for anything other than people chiming in about stuff they’d be chiming in about anyways here on the forums. I’m doing most of the heavy lifting on this and my cast of readers have already been tapped. Except for Jeff. He’ll read whether he wants to or not.

More
29 Mar 2018 17:56 #266663 by Jackwraith
In my experience, most podcasts work best with some kind of interplay between the people presenting. There are exceptions, as with most history podcasts like Mike Duncan's Revolutions, because they're telling a story. But any of the gaming podcasts I've listened to (Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm) or sports (Liverpool, Michigan) have always benefited from having at least two people to debate the issues/changes/games at hand. If you want to try a new format, I'm interested to hear it. But if you'd rather have an assist in constructing and running it, I'd be interested, as well.

More
29 Mar 2018 18:00 #266664 by Josh Look
I listened to the audiobook of The 50 Year Mission and was pretty inspired by it. I’m shooting more for audio documentary series than standard podcast.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
29 Mar 2018 18:31 #266666 by SuperflyPete
I’m happy to hear it. The old one was cool but seemed like the “edginess” was forced.

I’m down if you need me for anything.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh Look

More
29 Mar 2018 18:50 #266668 by Josh Look

SuperflyTNT wrote: I’m happy to hear it. The old one was cool but seemed like the “edginess” was forced.

I’m down if you need me for anything.

Thanks, Pete. That edginess has not aged well, but I think we were all more full of that “us vs them” spirit back then.

I of course reserve the right to ignore any comments involving a “spit roast.”
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
29 Mar 2018 22:09 #266673 by Sagrilarus
Sounds like a great idea.

More
30 Mar 2018 13:31 #266708 by cdennett
I would like to formally request that response readers take on the the following roles for some of our regulars:

Michael Barnes -> Michael Caine
Sagrilarus -> Yoda
Pete Ruth -> Yosemite Sam
Black Barney -> Barney the Dinosaur

More
30 Mar 2018 13:34 #266709 by SebastianBludd

cdennett wrote: Black Barney -> Barney the Dinosaur

I don't know, I pictured him more as a post-arrest Paul Ruebens.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Colorcrayons, cdennett

More
30 Mar 2018 13:45 - 30 Mar 2018 13:45 #266710 by ChristopherMD
Good luck with this. Personally I really wouldn't want anyone pretending to be me and I wouldn't be surprised if there are others who feel the same. Maybe you should create fake personas specifically for the show such as;

Excited Man
Neckbeard
Lord Vader

That way its clear the person isn't necessarily speaking their own words but they also aren't claiming to be Michael Barnes or Charles Theel or Matt Thrower.
Last edit: 30 Mar 2018 13:45 by ChristopherMD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
30 Mar 2018 13:46 #266711 by Colorcrayons

SebastianBludd wrote:

cdennett wrote: Black Barney -> Barney the Dinosaur

I don't know, I pictured him more as a post-arrest Paul Ruebens.

I always imagined him pre-arrest. With hand in situ.
Wearing a Richard Simmons mask.
Jazzercizing his way to the squad car. Screaming at fat girls to lift their knees higher in the air as if they have a purpose in life.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd, Black Barney

More
30 Mar 2018 14:38 #266721 by Shellhead
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Sagrilarus, Black Barney, Colorcrayons, stoic

More
31 Mar 2018 08:35 - 31 Mar 2018 08:37 #266747 by Josh Look

Mad Dog wrote: Good luck with this. Personally I really wouldn't want anyone pretending to be me and I wouldn't be surprised if there are others who feel the same. Maybe you should create fake personas specifically for the show such as;

Excited Man
Neckbeard
Lord Vader

That way its clear the person isn't necessarily speaking their own words but they also aren't claiming to be Michael Barnes or Charles Theel or Matt Thrower.

It’s not pretending. It’s not like I’m getting a group together and we’re having a conversation while posing as other people. It’s structured in a way that when someone’s quote is applicable to where we’re at, someone comes on, says who said it with F:AT handle, real name optional, then reads what that person had to say. Nobody is pretending, let’s put that notion to rest right now. You’re being quoted with your credit being given before anything is said every single time.

I’m at work and can’t check right now, but if the 50 Year Mission has a sample clip up on Audible, it might make this whole concept abundantly clear.
Last edit: 31 Mar 2018 08:37 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
31 Mar 2018 10:14 #266752 by engineer Al
Sounds very cool. i'm in!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.350 seconds