October 09, 2023
2294 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

swords in the news

More
16 Sep 2009 12:12 #41554 by MattFantastic
Replied by MattFantastic on topic Re:swords in the news
Black Barney wrote:

Call me crazy, but I see about 10 light years of difference between buying a copy of Le Havre and slicing through someone's rib cage with a Katana.

Clearly it is different in terms of what you are doing, but in terms of net result it's not all that different. If you see someone hanging off a cliff and you don't stop to help them up so they fall to their death, is that morally equivalent to if you had pushed them off yourself?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Sep 2009 12:53 - 16 Sep 2009 12:55 #41567 by Dogmatix
Replied by Dogmatix on topic Re:swords in the news
Mad Dog wrote:

Shellhead wrote:

I think that the resident gets into trouble if they are setting up traps designed to injure or kill intruders.

Absolutely they get into trouble. Imagine a fireman kicking in your front door to try and save your life only to get a shotgun blast to the face or stepping in a bear trap on his way in.

Which does really happens from time to time. Americans can be unbelievably inventive when exercising our nearly limitless capacity for dumb [the homeowner, not the poor sucker-punched firefighter, that is]...

MattLoter wrote:

Black Barney wrote:

Call me crazy, but I see about 10 light years of difference between buying a copy of Le Havre and slicing through someone's rib cage with a Katana.

Clearly it is different in terms of what you are doing, but in terms of net result it's not all that different. If you see someone hanging off a cliff and you don't stop to help them up so they fall to their death, is that morally equivalent to if you had pushed them off yourself?

Morally? I dunno, that's personal. Legally, however, it can be depending on where you live. Didn't New York or California recently add some fairly severe criminal penalties for failing to render aid under their good samaritan laws? [And, god help me, I hope I'm not confusing something I read with a fucking episode of Law & Order]
Last edit: 16 Sep 2009 12:55 by Dogmatix.

More
16 Sep 2009 13:21 #41577 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Re:swords in the news
...or the series finale of Seinfeld

More
16 Sep 2009 13:24 #41578 by Citadel
Replied by Citadel on topic Re:swords in the news
Dogmatix wrote:

Morally? I dunno, that's personal. Legally, however, it can be depending on where you live. Didn't New York or California recently add some fairly severe criminal penalties for failing to render aid under their good samaritan laws? [And, god help me, I hope I'm not confusing something I read with a fucking episode of Law & Order]

In the UK, they now tell people including trained first aiders employed by companies to never give first aid to anyone. Only paramedics and doctors should provide aid. This is apparently due to the number of cases of first aiders being sued by the people they were helping or their families. When you here something like this you know your country is screwed.

More
16 Sep 2009 13:31 #41579 by Black Barney
there was a cool story where some dude gave CPR to some guy who had collapsed and stopped breathing. Paramedics eventually arrived and took over and the guy survived. The random guy that gave the CPR ended up breaking one of the guy's ribs in the process and the dude sued him. It made it to court and the judge through it out and told the guy that he should seek help or something. Basically laughed right out of court.

awesome

More
16 Sep 2009 13:38 #41581 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Re:swords in the news
Black Barney wrote:

there was a cool story where some dude gave CPR to some guy who had collapsed and stopped breathing. Paramedics eventually arrived and took over and the guy survived. The random guy that gave the CPR ended up breaking one of the guy's ribs in the process and the dude sued him. It made it to court and the judge through it out and told the guy that he should seek help or something. Basically laughed right out of court.

awesome

"I'll pay the damages for the broken rib, but in order to put this back to the way it was I'm going to require that you stop breathing."

More
16 Sep 2009 13:46 #41583 by Citadel
Replied by Citadel on topic Re:swords in the news
Merkles wrote:

To answer your first question--and, more specifically, on rates of violent crime per 100,000 residents as of 2009:

Belgium: 1,006 (rate per 100,000 residents)
US: 466 (rate per 100,000 residents)

I could only find those numbers in the Daily Mail, which is Britain's equivalent of the National Enquirer but with 99% less fact. Wikipedia show the US as having four times the homicide rate of Belgium, which sounds more like what I would expect. However, crime rates from different countries aren't comparable because what counts as one crime in one country counts as something else in another.

More
16 Sep 2009 13:52 #41585 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:swords in the news
Black Barney wrote:

awesome

I bet every judge has fantasized at least once about hitting somebody on top of the head with the gavel.

"Will the plaintiff please approach the bench?"

WHAM!

More
16 Sep 2009 13:55 #41586 by Black Barney
yeah, i totally got to find the write-up about that court case. I remember what the judge said was total pwnage to the guy.

More
16 Sep 2009 14:02 #41588 by mikoyan
Replied by mikoyan on topic Re:swords in the news
Citadel wrote:

Dogmatix wrote:

In the UK, they now tell people including trained first aiders employed by companies to never give first aid to anyone. Only paramedics and doctors should provide aid. This is apparently due to the number of cases of first aiders being sued by the people they were helping or their families. When you here something like this you know your country is screwed.

According to the Red Cross, you can not be sued if you act in accordance with your training. If you try something above and beyond first aid training, you can be sued.

More
16 Sep 2009 14:50 #41598 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Re:swords in the news
mikoyan wrote:

Citadel wrote:

Dogmatix wrote:

According to the Red Cross, you can not be sued if you act in accordance with your training. If you try something above and beyond first aid training, you can be sued.

I think that depends upon state law. Some states have a "Good Samaritan" law where you cannot be sued if you administer first aid or try to help someone in an emergency.

More
16 Sep 2009 14:54 - 16 Sep 2009 14:56 #41600 by Black Barney
nah, I think he's right. i took a first aid class and now I'm bound to help someone in distress. Our province doesn't have good samaritan laws.

someone should put a linky to that Peter Griffin video where he 'has' to help the guy who he thinks is in distress (but is actually fine), so he's forcing mouth-to-mouth on him and then checks to see if he soiled himself. lol

"Hey! Leave my friend alone!"
"Sir, I'll be with you in just a minute"
Last edit: 16 Sep 2009 14:56 by Black Barney.

More
16 Sep 2009 16:36 #41621 by VonTush
Replied by VonTush on topic Re:swords in the news
So'd anyone else get the professional firearms training class banner like I did when reading this thread? Remember: "Gunfights don't give second chances".

More
16 Sep 2009 16:43 #41623 by Black Barney
nah i keep getting the Kung Fu Panda copywrite infringement ad

More
29 Sep 2010 14:30 #75410 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:swords in the news
"An Australian sports star was attacked by his cousin with a samurai sword during a family dispute"

msn.foxsports.com/other/story/australian...ord-092810?gt1=39002

The hits keep coming.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.866 seconds