October 09, 2023
2286 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

MERRY X-MAS Y'ALL!!!

More
25 Dec 2010 15:36 #82981 by Dogmatix
Replied by Dogmatix on topic Re:MERRY X-MAS Y'ALL!!!
Hope folks are having a good holiday. I'm spending mine deciding what to "just top this glass off" with next while dodging my wife trying to take her billionth picture this afternoon with her new camera. (I'm suddenly very grateful that pregnant women can't move that all fast. Means I won't spill too much of this drink ;) )

Happy holidays, feasting, and generally lazing about to all y'all...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Dec 2010 17:00 #82985 by billyz
Replied by billyz on topic Re:MERRY X-MAS Y'ALL!!!
Stephen Avery wrote:

Ha! We've got that on a christams compilation we listen to every year.

Merry Xmas Billy. My youngest daughter just got a tea set for Christmas so she won't have to steal your netty pot.

Steve"Ewww"Avery

Here, here to the funniest untold story of Averyfest '10!

More
25 Dec 2010 21:29 #82998 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Re:MERRY X-MAS Y'ALL!!!
Two other Christmas favorites.

Merry Christmas, All!

More
25 Dec 2010 23:21 #83004 by Michael Barnes
I have to say, that there isn't much better in the world than watching your kid have his first Christmas. Anybody that thinks Christmas "sucks" for whatever reason can fuck right off, you don't know what the fuck you're talking about and you obviously don't have children. When my boy picked up this drum that I knew he was going to love, I openly and proudly wept. We didn't do a big thing for him since his birthday is in three weeks, but his grandparents more than picked up the slack. He gave us a grand finale about an hour ago, barfing up pretty much everything he ate all day.

As for us, I did get my wife that Macbook Pro that I sold a bunch of games to help finance. $2500. Fortunately, it's a huge tax write-off since she uses it for business. She didn't get anything else.

But my wife is notoriously bad about getting me stuff that for whatever reason we wind returning the day after Christmas. Every year. Wrong size, wrong cut, wrong thing, wrong color, wrong everything. This year she hit it out of the park.

The main gift is a session at Atlanta Motor Speedway including racing classes and a full-on 8 lap race ("passing allowed"). I am fucking STOKED. "You've been playing that car game a lot"...she's noticed GRAN TURISMO 5 in the PS3 every time she puts in one of River's DVDs and I'm all the time talking about Maseratis and Aston Martins we see around town. So she picked one of the most unexpected and exciting things I've ever gotten.

But she also got me some little things that were awesome-

- Some fine single-source chocolates
- A really high-end modern wallet made from recycled plastics
- Nonleather belt that looks GOOD and may actually last for more than a month (Vegans know these are stupidly hard to come by)
- A book called "Destroy All Movies" that catalogs almost every appearance by a punk or new waver in a motion picture- everything from SUBURBIA and the films of Nick Zedd to STAR TREK IV and THE TERMINATOR is in there- awesome poster artwork throughout
- A book from Popular Science magazine about all of this future technology...that never came to pass

No games.

So yeah, we had a good one...hope all of you guys did as well!

Oh- and thanks Ken B. for making this a proper Southern Christmas greeting!

One more thing- a great, forgotten Christmas song to add to Jeff's is "Dead By Christmas", Hanoi Rocks.

More
25 Dec 2010 23:27 - 25 Dec 2010 23:30 #83005 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re:MERRY X-MAS Y'ALL!!!
Damn, nice gift from your wife re: racing lessons.

FWIW, my Christmas highlight was consoling my significant other when her family insulted her and teased her at the table, resulting in a huge blow up. I swear to god I am just going to do next Christmas alone with her without family and a bottle of scotch next year.
Last edit: 25 Dec 2010 23:30 by Gary Sax.

More
26 Dec 2010 04:55 #83011 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re:MERRY X-MAS Y'ALL!!!
This song is a bit about Christmas:

More
26 Dec 2010 06:13 - 26 Dec 2010 06:14 #83012 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic Re:MERRY X-MAS Y'ALL!!!
Yes indeedy, Happy Christmas to you all.

I spent most of the day cooking a big fuck off rib of quality beef which I and my wife scoffed down later on with the old Christmas pudding and (illegal) brandy butter. Washed down with two pints of illegally distilled Gin and Tonic. Yay for Christmas in Kuwait!!

Today is eating illegal bacon and sausage day....mmmmm you only miss it when its illegal to have it....

A big gaming day Christmas dinner on 28th when it will probably be a drunken go at BSG (as it is easy to play when pissed up). Might bring Summoner Wars for some light relief...

Have a great holiday....hope to catch up with as many of you as possible at WBC in the summer.
Last edit: 26 Dec 2010 06:14 by ThirstyMan.

More
26 Dec 2010 11:34 - 26 Dec 2010 11:54 #83020 by jay718
Replied by jay718 on topic Re:MERRY X-MAS Y'ALL!!!
Mike, that's gotta be about the coolest gift I've ver heard of. This was my boy's second holiday season, an at not quite 18 months, he's still much more interested in wrapping paper than anything else. I gotta say, this is the first winter holidays I've enjoyed since I was about 7. Limited family drama, no police or fistfights, no drunken admonishments and three happy grandkids for moms. Moms gave a copy of Settlers to each of the 5 kids as well. She said she heard about it on Oprah or something... Anyway, I was really dreading this weekend, and it turned out better than I could have imagined. Hope all of y'all had a great one as well.
Last edit: 26 Dec 2010 11:54 by jay718.

More
26 Dec 2010 13:52 #83023 by NeonPeon
Replied by NeonPeon on topic Re:MERRY X-MAS Y'ALL!!!
Yup, lots of family fun and gift exchanging…and cakes and pie.

I finally got Chaos In The Old World which I'm looking forward to playing. I was looking through the pieces in my bed, and woke up to find I had accidentally slept on a Slaanesh cultist, which amused me.

Barnes I almost felt like you did when my son got a little guitar (real, six strings) so he could play with me. I'm just far too manly to tear up, of course. (Man, this room is dusty…)

Many a light saber duel was had, as I got myself the Darth Vader Force FX saber, my cousin the blue Anakin one, and my son the much more "kiddie" General Grievous blades. My dad actually knows how to fence, so he beat my ass even with one of the kiddie blades against mine with twice the reach. :D

We played a hilarious 7 player session of Eat Poop You Cat. Haven't seen my dad laugh that hard in ages...

And now we're being buried in snow.

More
26 Dec 2010 15:05 #83027 by Ancient_of_MuMu
I had a moment on Christmas morning which makes you realize how good a day it can be. My eldest daughter is nearly 7 and rational beyond belief for such a small child. She won't accept anything without a couple of layers of proof (frustrating as a parent because you lose the 'because I say so' defence). The funny thing is, in spite of being this incredibly rational child who questions everything, she still believes in Santa and other magical present givers, and for the last 18 months or so we have been waiting for it to click with her, as it just doesn't fit with the way she views the world.

On Christmas morning she got up and was excited about the toys Santa provided, and then she saw the plate of treats she had left out for Santa, which now had crumbs and a stump of a carrot on it and exclaimed "He is real! I thought it might be just the two of you putting out presents, but this is proof he is real."

Now I am just stumped. I want to know why she doesn't think it could be just her parents eating the treats, but then I don't want to mess with her belief system, so I have to remain mute. My theory is that it is because of the carrot, as she can't see why a rational person would eat a raw carrot on Christmas Eve.

More
28 Dec 2010 18:52 #83125 by MrZir
Replied by MrZir on topic Re:MERRY X-MAS Y'ALL!!!
Barnes, that is one cool gift regarding the racing lessons.

My son received light sabers and nerf guns for Christmas, and I was more excited about the gift giving this year than I have since I was about his age.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.522 seconds