October 09, 2023
2421 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2630 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Just watched Scott Pilgrim vs. the World again

More
07 Feb 2011 17:24 #87063 by Black Barney
El Cuajinais wrote:

Since you mentioned Before Sunset, I'm going to make an effort to watch every movie on your list. That movie is the standard to which I judge performances for "normal" characters in a film. There is much praise for actors depicting serial killers, the mentally challenged, geniuses, etc, etc. But I have yet to see a more down to earth portrayal of two simple strangers than the couple in Before Sunrise. Looking back, I think it was that film and Forest Gump which triggered my respect for the good Hollywood actors as "pros" in another level. Much like pro athletes play at another level. There is so much talent in films that the fact the 95% of the films are cheesy and predictable makes me want to pull my hair out.

SO GLAD you like/love Before Sunset. I find that movie is the perfect barometer to see if you're speaking to an adult or not. I know so many people who hated that movie and loved Transformers, for instance. I find people that love Before Sunset are pretty much on the same page as me for other films, in general. Or at the very least, can appreciate great movies.

Before I forget, let me add THE LIVES OF OTHERS to that list. You have to see this movie, it's just so amazingly feel good. One of the best endings ever I think.

Did you see Before Sunrise too? I assume you saw both. I prefer the sequel cuz it's SOOO real and the ending is SOOO good. But the oriignal is sublime as well.

Remains of the Day does a good job at making really deeply believeable characters (in my opinion) so I love it for that.

Anyway, let me know if you see any of those other movies,,,

Barnes, you're so right about Hellboy II. Plastic describes it perfectly. The sick part is that I know it must be a really good movie, I just can't enjoy it at all and didn't like it. So much good stuff in that movie but SO much crap too.

and whoever recommended AUGUST RUSH is out of their mind. (ending did make my cry tho...)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Feb 2011 17:25 #87064 by bfkiller
The movie with the closest vibe to Scott Pilgrim that I've seen is probably Kung Fu Hustle.

More
07 Feb 2011 17:30 #87065 by Black Barney
UGH! I just read more of this thread. Putting Ang Lee's HULK against Dark Knight?! FOR REAL? Man... I really respected HULK for trying but I don't think it worked out. Dark Knight is just perfect, in my opinion.

Yeah I really loved Social Network, but I respect movies like Scott Pilgrim which make people leave a movie theatre REALLY happy and satisfied. That's awesome. I don't think it's way above SPEED RACER tho.

Did anyone else love the first IRON MAN as much as I did? I thought it was well above your standard popcorn movie which is what it was billed as. Really smart and fun. Last fight sequence was atrocious but if you want to know how to make a really average superhero movie, see the second Iron Man movie. The first one is really great.

Chapel's list is really interesting cuz their is empty predictable crap like AUGUST RUSH in there but there is also terrific stuff like WHALE RIDER, CAPOTE, RUSHMORE and Finding Neverland.

I think Chapel is almost perfectly in line with my wife's movie tastes. She brought up Secondhand Lions yesterday trying to get me to grab it on Netflix. And Pirate Radio is her favourite recent movie.

yay movies, endlessly fun to talk about

More
07 Feb 2011 17:31 #87066 by Black Barney
the barefoot killer wrote:

The movie with the closest vibe to Scott Pilgrim that I've seen is probably Kung Fu Hustle.

wow, really? Ok, I'm going to have to see Scott Pilgrim now

More
07 Feb 2011 17:40 - 07 Feb 2011 17:41 #87067 by bfkiller
Black Barney wrote:

the barefoot killer wrote:

wow, really? Ok, I'm going to have to see Scott Pilgrim now

Same vibe but, IMO, Kung Fu Hustle is head and shoulders better than Scott Pilgrim. KFH was one of my very favourite movies from the previous decade.

But you'd probably dig it, even if for no other reason than all the video game references (including a nice nod to Ocarina of Time).
Last edit: 07 Feb 2011 17:41 by bfkiller.

More
07 Feb 2011 18:16 #87071 by Black Barney
but i HATE Ocarina of Time! (yay for needling Ken)

More
07 Feb 2011 18:17 #87072 by Hatchling
El Cuajinais wrote:

Black Barney wrote:

The Remains of the Day
Man on Wire (HOLY CRAP is this ever amazing)
Any of the TOY STORY movies
Waste Land (probably my favourite movie of 2010)
Cool Hand Luke (I love this movie)
Before Sunrise / Before Sunset (both of these are probably the best romantic movies I have ever seen)

...I'm going to make an effort to watch every movie on your list. ...

I'm going to do this film list too. We should make it a regular thing: Black Barney's FATfilmic assignments.

More
07 Feb 2011 18:27 #87074 by El Cuajinais
Black Barney wrote:

El Cuajinais wrote:

Since you mentioned Before Sunset, I'm going to make an effort to watch every movie on your list. That movie is the standard to which I judge performances for "normal" characters in a film. There is much praise for actors depicting serial killers, the mentally challenged, geniuses, etc, etc. But I have yet to see a more down to earth portrayal of two simple strangers than the couple in Before Sunrise. Looking back, I think it was that film and Forest Gump which triggered my respect for the good Hollywood actors as "pros" in another level. Much like pro athletes play at another level. There is so much talent in films that the fact the 95% of the films are cheesy and predictable makes me want to pull my hair out.

Did you see Before Sunrise too? I assume you saw both. I prefer the sequel cuz it's SOOO real and the ending is SOOO good. But the oriignal is sublime as well.

Yes, I saw both. Actually the past message was a mistake because I saw Before Sunrise first (and is my favorite of the two). Seriously Barney, Scott Pilgrim is based in Canada and is possibly the most videogame-influenced film ever. You will love it. I liked the nod to the original Prince of Persia at the end.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

More
07 Feb 2011 19:38 - 07 Feb 2011 19:39 #87079 by OldHippy
Stephen Chow was a good call. Kung Fu Hustel and his superior effort Shaolin Soccer are both great films and definitely feel good over the top sensational. I think they're both better but they also feel like Hong Kong films and that doesn't work for everyone. Iron Monkey while we're at it.

.. and Incredibles is still the best super hero film. But that Ang Lee Hulk was pretty cool too.
Last edit: 07 Feb 2011 19:39 by OldHippy.

More
07 Feb 2011 21:48 #87083 by Chapel
Black Barney wrote:

and whoever recommended AUGUST RUSH is out of their mind. (ending did make my cry tho...)

Oh, come on. Sure it's predictable and an intentional tug at the heart windings, but it sure did it's job well. :)

More
07 Feb 2011 21:52 #87084 by Chapel
Black Barney wrote:

I think Chapel is almost perfectly in line with my wife's movie tastes. She brought up Secondhand Lions yesterday trying to get me to grab it on Netflix. And Pirate Radio is her favourite recent movie.

yay movies, endlessly fun to talk about

So what did you think of "Across the Universe"?

Also, have you or your wife ever see Fandango? If not, I thoroughly suggest it.

More
07 Feb 2011 22:49 - 07 Feb 2011 22:55 #87085 by dragonstout
moofrank wrote:

Hmmm. Feel Good movies:

1. Suck. It is loud, funny, indie, and thoroughly Rock n Roll. There is a healthy dose of the cynic involved.
2. The Miracle of Morgan's Creek. This is a 40's movie by Preston Sturges that is probably just required viewing. It is a wonderful screwball comedy, made all the crazier that it goes some places that you just didn't think old b/w movies go.
3. Hausu. (House). Perhaps not a feel-good comedy. More of a classic horror-comedy, but done with such a light hand and goofy-morbid deaths that you'd not notice. The movie itself careens about with crazy excess.

And anything on this list which Edgar Wright put together.
io9.com/#!5686693/10-must+watch-movies-t...uenced-scott-pilgrim

All (almost) of Preston Sturges is gold, but I'll see your "Miracle of Morgan's Creek" and raise you a "The Palm Beach Story", which is the most fast-paced and screwy of all his comedies.

"Hausu/House"...I saw this for the first time last year, and it was easily my second favorite movie of the year. You think Scott Pilgrim is anarchic? This movie is anarchy pure, but also pure joy and love of filmmaking.

And if you like Before Sunrise/Sunset for their completely naturalistic acting, then you've got to see my favorite movie of all time (though decidedly NOT an upper), "Scenes from a Marriage", the five-hour version not the wimpy 3-hour version. Even if you've seen other Bergman you don't like, this is different, and is not at all excruciatingly painful like, say, "Cries and Whispers", but extremely rich, observant, and human.

For the record, not a big fan of the Scott Pilgrim movie; but I'd just finished reading the comic with my wife, and while the comic was not complete genius or anything, I liked how most of everything was handled in the comic better than in the movie.
Last edit: 07 Feb 2011 22:55 by dragonstout.

More
07 Feb 2011 23:01 #87087 by Space Ghost
August Rush isn't bad, neither is Secondhand Lions....

I can't believe you threw RUSHMORE out there --- The Squid and The Whale is much better (hell, Royal Tenenbaums is much better). I chalk RUSHMORE up as just another one of Bill Murray's failed attempts to get an Oscar.

More
07 Feb 2011 23:15 #87088 by Amontillado
Jeff White wrote:

I feel like there have been three great ones. Braveheart, Gladiator, and that Master and Commander film (if that counts).[/quote]

I agree wholesale with that statement. I've particularly fond of the last 2 you mentioned. MaC is one of the finest films ever made. I'm certain of it.

More
08 Feb 2011 00:51 #87091 by Black Barney
RUSHMORE is just plain fun. SQUID AND THE WHALE is genius but man it's uncomfortable to watch. Bill Murray in Rushmore is hilariuos with those two idiot sons of his. I can never decide if I prefer Royal Tenenbaums or not.

you guys liked Master & Commander? Man, I loved every visual aspect of that film but just couldn't get into the screenplay. I think it was the characters but I'm not sure. I think the doctor guy ruined it for me. Too bad cuz I really dug the era.

Chapel, haven't seen Across the Universe. I had heard bad things. But I'm a big Beatles fan so I probably should.

My Xbox gold is expiring soon (this month) and with it, my Netflix subsciption so I've been tearing through it this month. Today, I went for horror and saw Diary of the Dead (disappointing, I thought I was renting Day of the Dead, whoops) and, I can't believe I did it, Human Centipede. It was more gross when it's left to your imagination. Really poorly executed.

Hatchling, that's awesome! Let me know what you think.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds