October 09, 2023
2487 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2687 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Just watched Scott Pilgrim vs. the World again

More
08 Feb 2011 08:20 #87104 by Dair
I have to agree with Barney that Ang Lee's Hulk was not good. I love weird movies, but this one just fell flat. I actually fell asleep three times before I finally finished it, and I NEVER fall asleep during movies.

I have seen and enjoyed Before Sunrise, but still need to see Before Sunset. I love Richard Linklater and just watched Slacker within the last year. How impressive is that movie considering the budget and equipment they were working with? I was floored by it. I also loved his "animated" movie with Keanu Reeves, although I can't remember the name of it. It was an adaptation of a Philip Dick story. Very good. Dazed and Confused also holds great nostalgia factor for me (not of the 70s, I'm only 32, just of high school and the freedom of adolescence).

I also have to disagree with Rushmore. I prefer Royal Tennenbaums too, but Rushmore is still fantastic. It is a completely different movie than Squid and the Whale (also good), so they really shouldn't be compared. One is a comedy and one is a drama. Both work very well.

Man I want to call in sick and just stay home and watch movies now. Thanks a lot guys.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Feb 2011 16:13 #87161 by moss_icon
wdgrant wrote:

I have to agree with Barney that Ang Lee's Hulk was not good.

not good?! it's fucking horrendous. i had seen it a while back and i caught a bit of it again the other day and it blew my mind. did they intentionally make a movie in 2003 that looked like it had been made for tv in 1993? also, it was fucking horrendous. and 138 minutes long.

More
08 Feb 2011 16:50 #87170 by SGT Dave
moofrank wrote:

Hmmm. Feel Good movies:

2. The Miracle of Morgan's Creek. This is a 40's movie by Preston Sturges that is probably just required viewing. It is a wonderful screwball comedy, made all the crazier that it goes some places that you just didn't think old b/w movies go.

Second this, and anything by Preston Sturges. "The SPOTS!"

More
08 Feb 2011 17:09 #87174 by SGT Dave
Fantastic Mr. Fox surprised me. Thought I would hate it, but I didn't. And I'm a hater.

I'm throwing this one out there:

Easy Wheels was written by a couple Raimi bothers, Ivan and Sam (under a pseudonym). It's about a biker gang led by a guy named Bruce who has visions due to the steel plate in his head. It's not great, but if you you're punch-drunk tired channel-surfing at 3am, you'll laugh a great deal. It's silly and mindless. This is my late night guilty pleasure along with Return of the Killer Tomatoes and Omega Man. For years it was only available on VHS and Showtime in the wee hours. But I think I saw it on Netflix streaming lately.

Also, Steve Lisberger made a cartoon called Animalympics before he made Tron. It was my favorite cartoon-movie ever growing up. Voiced by Billy Crystal, Gilda Radner and Harry Shearer. I've never seen it on DVD or VHS. They played it a lot on cable in the late 70s.

More
08 Feb 2011 18:25 #87186 by Michael Barnes
I loved Fantastic Mr. Fox. I thought I would hate it too. But it's genuine, and it has some really smart writing. It also totally makes fun of the disco dancing animal shit in most of the CGI cartoons these days, which scores points for me.

As for Preston Sturges, Sullivan's Travels is the one for me. Morgan Creek is a great one too, playfuly, subtly bawdy but never vulgar or lewd. A full half of the Coen Brothers' schtick is recycled Sturges.

More
08 Feb 2011 19:50 #87200 by trif
JonJacob wrote:

Scott Pilgrim reminded me a lot of Speed Racer. Not for the story or the dialogue (although I don't think they're all that far removed from each other) but for how it managed to impress me on a number of levels that have nothing to do with those features. They both embrace everything pop in their artistic designs and it made for a very stimulating visual experience. Top ten is going to far but it was good.

I'm not sure what a feel good movie is but I like Wizard of Oz, A Christmas Carol (Alistar Sim), When Harry met Sally, Brad Bird, typical stuff.

I wholeheartedly agree. The comparison to Speed Racer struck me as well. I'm not a Wachowski Brothers fan by any means, but I thought they really demonstrated some brilliant new cinematic narrative ideas in what is basically a kids film.

I won't list my top movies as they're mostly French and long.

More
08 Feb 2011 19:58 #87202 by trif
JonJacob wrote:

Stephen Chow was a good call. Kung Fu Hustel and his superior effort Shaolin Soccer are both great films and definitely feel good over the top sensational. I think they're both better but they also feel like Hong Kong films and that doesn't work for everyone. Iron Monkey while we're at it.

.. and Incredibles is still the best super hero film. But that Ang Lee Hulk was pretty cool too.

I'm a huge Stephen Chow fan - I prefer Shaolin Soccer over Kung Fu Hustle but my favourite film of his is his Bond parody - From Beijing with Love. The (kind of) prequel, Forbidden City Cop, is worth seeking out as well.

And I like the Ang Lee Hulk much better than the Marvel Hulk - but I hate the ending.

More
08 Feb 2011 23:16 #87224 by Black Barney
trif, let's hear some French movies you liked. I've liked a half-dozen or so a ton.

More
08 Feb 2011 23:25 #87225 by trif
Black Barney wrote:

trif, let's hear some French movies you liked. I've liked a half-dozen or so a ton.

Children of Paradise and Celine and Julie Go Boating are the main ones.

More
08 Feb 2011 23:32 - 08 Feb 2011 23:35 #87228 by Black Barney
k, cool. I haven't seen or heard of those.

recent ones I liked were that one of the adult siblings who get together to discuss what to do with their mother's home after she passes away. I can't remember the title but it was very good.

And before that, Une Dimanche de Fiancailles or something (with the Amelie girl), the ending was so good (it made me cry).

I think my favourite french movie so far is Papillion et le *insert word for underwater bathysphere-ish outfit* about the Elle guy who had a stroke. holy crap was that ever amazing.

There were a couple Quebec movies which I liked a bunch too
Last edit: 08 Feb 2011 23:35 by Black Barney.

More
09 Feb 2011 00:08 #87235 by trif
They're old - Children of Paradise was made during the Nazi occupation of France (and hid many resistance fighters amongst the extras) and Celine and Julie Go Boating was made in the 70s.

More
09 Feb 2011 08:14 #87250 by Dair
Since we are on French movies, I'll throw out one I enjoyed greatly. How about Delicatessen? I haven't seen it for years, but really liked it when it came out. The director's follow up, City of Lost Children (I think?), was strange and interesting, but just not all that great.

More
09 Feb 2011 11:55 #87287 by OldHippy
wdgrant wrote:

Since we are on French movies, I'll throw out one I enjoyed greatly. How about Delicatessen? I haven't seen it for years, but really liked it when it came out. The director's follow up, City of Lost Children (I think?), was strange and interesting, but just not all that great.

I actually perferred City of Lost Children but both are good. His new one Mic Macs is fun too if you like his style. I think it's on Netflix now.

Celine and Judy go Boating is also a fantastic film and thanks to trif for bringing it up. I am convinced, even though I can't find any info to confirm it, that the film is in some way inspiered by the writer Louis Ferdinand Celine. I mean, magic and memory are two of his biggest themes and the film certainly shares those.

In any case it doesn't matter, great flick.

French films in the 70's were awesome. If I'm not mistaken that's when Louis Buenel was there making some of my fav's like Phantom of Liberty, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie... great surrealist films.. fantasy if you like.

More
09 Feb 2011 16:51 #87389 by Michael Barnes
French movies? Jean-Pierre Melville all the way. Red Circle, Le Samourai, Le Doulous...

Then there's Shoot the Piano Player, Le Boucher, Diabolique, Les Yeuxs Sans Visage...

And don't get me started on the great Godard pictures...Breathless (duh), Pierrot Le Fou, Alphaville...

The Cocteau films...Beauty and the Beast...Orphee...

I'm probably some kind of cinematic heretic, but I think Brotherhood of the Wolf may be my all-time favorite French film. I fucking adore that movie.

The Jeunet et Caro films were good for their time, but that shit is SOOOOO dated now. I can't watch City of Lost Children anymore because it just makes me think of the Steampunkers that have overrun conventions these days.

Still can't figure out why they thought he was the man for Alien Resurrection...

More
09 Feb 2011 18:32 #87411 by Space Ghost

I'm probably some kind of cinematic heretic, but I think Brotherhood of the Wolf may be my all-time favorite French film. I fucking adore that movie.

You may be indeed. The way you know is that I love that movie too, and it has been well established on this site that I don't know what the hell I am talking about when it comes to movies/art.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds