Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 25 'popular' board games article linked off of CNN

25 'popular' board games article linked off of CNN 28 Apr 2014 10:00 #176738

Was perusing CNN today and got linked to a crappy article about 25 popular board games while growing up.

Here it is

The usual suspects are there but Hero Quest was a surprise for me.
  • Black Barney
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 2677
"We must let go of the life we had planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us." - Joseph Campbell
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 25 'popular' board games article linked off of CNN 28 Apr 2014 10:14 #176739

the fuck is Grape Escape?
  • Legomancer
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 1851

Re: 25 'popular' board games article linked off of CNN 28 Apr 2014 10:18 #176740

...sorry I forgot to give this context on why I posted it (I had to rush to a meeting).

Do you guys think 20 years from now, there were be an article like this that will be the exact same thing? Or will we see some of the games we know and love in that list? I will always expect Risk, Monopoly to forever be the staples but there is so much crap in this list and I'm wondering if mainstream shovelware will always be more popular than quality.

Obviously I'm not expecting Twilight Struggle or War of the Ring to ever make it into a popular list but I thought, as an example, Dungeon! was more popular than Grape Escape.

edit: I'm not saying I wish board games were popular (we discussed how that's an annoying wish in another thread last week), I'm just saying that I hope that people start playing better games now that they're out there. Or can we only make a 25 list from what's available at Walmart? So maybe Settlers gets added in 20 years and that's it.
  • Black Barney
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
"We must let go of the life we had planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us." - Joseph Campbell
Last Edit: 28 Apr 2014 10:24 by Black Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Re: 25 'popular' board games article linked off of CNN 28 Apr 2014 10:56 #176748

Looks like a list of what a few people around the office in their 30's remember playing as a kid that they bought from Toys R Us or other Big-Box Retailers.

20 years from now, the timeless games like Monopoly, Candyland...etc. will still be on the list. Girl Talk, Fireball Island, HeroQuest and other long out of print games will drop. Replacements would be HeroScape, Settlers, Pokemon, Magic, Munchkin.
  • VonTush
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 897
Doing my part to poison the health of the hobby one game at a time!

Re: 25 'popular' board games article linked off of CNN 28 Apr 2014 11:08 #176751

YuGuyOh?

Is Munchkin really that popular? I hope that game dies in a fire.

Is HeroQuest out of print? I think our local Walmarts have half an aisle dedicated to it
  • Black Barney
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20

Re: 25 'popular' board games article linked off of CNN 28 Apr 2014 11:13 #176752

Yeah, HQ has been out of print for a decade now.
I think Munchkin is...That's the only reason why I can understand the game having umpteen different iterations.

YuGuyOh is possible as well. I think a handful of the CCGs that have had some staying power will start appearing on these lists.
  • VonTush
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 897
Doing my part to poison the health of the hobby one game at a time!

Re: 25 'popular' board games article linked off of CNN 28 Apr 2014 11:42 #176758

Black Barney wrote:
Is HeroQuest out of print? I think our local Walmarts have half an aisle dedicated to it

You are confusing Heroscape with HeroQuest. Common misconception with board gaming small folk. *haughty sniff*
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Re: 25 'popular' board games article linked off of CNN 28 Apr 2014 11:48 #176761

Black Barney wrote:
Do you guys think 20 years from now, there were be an article like this that will be the exact same thing? Or will we see some of the games we know and love in that list? I will always expect Risk, Monopoly to forever be the staples but there is so much crap in this list and I'm wondering if mainstream shovelware will always be more popular than quality.

Bingo. This kind of stuff won't change.
  • Gary Sax
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 2412

Re: 25 'popular' board games article linked off of CNN 28 Apr 2014 13:33 #176775

They asked for opinions on Twitter and got twenty-five responses. CNN's usual level of quality. To think I used to freebase this channel back in the 80s.

S.
  • Sagrilarus
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 2518
Last Edit: 28 Apr 2014 13:34 by Sagrilarus.

Re: 25 'popular' board games article linked off of CNN 28 Apr 2014 13:44 #176778

Sagrilarus wrote:
They asked for opinions on Twitter and got twenty-five responses. CNN's usual level of quality. To think I used to freebase this channel back in the 80s.

S.

If I were to ever make a comment in the comments section of CNN, I think more than two-thirds of them would simply be, "HOW IS THIS NEWS??!"

Growing up, CNN not only had Desert Strike (Storm? I can't remember which was the first), but would show cameras on cruise missiles flying into radar bunkers and such. How could you not turn that channel off? I bet people missed flights in airports.

It's awful now. It's mostly entertainment (Hillary said something recently on this that was pretty spot on) and the only reason we're seeing hourly updates on that Malaysian flight is cuz its good for ratings, not what people need to be hearing. Ugh.

Green Lantern, that's it exactly. I had them mixed up and have no idea what the differences between the two are anyway :(
  • Black Barney
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20

Re: 25 'popular' board games article linked off of CNN 28 Apr 2014 13:51 #176780

I know that CNN had gone into the shitter, but I didn't think they'd sunk to publishing crappy clickbait quite yet. Next, we'll see 'Four Mathmatical Operations That Will Restore Your Faith In Humanity'.
  • RobertB
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 373

Re: 25 'popular' board games article linked off of CNN 28 Apr 2014 14:57 #176793

You guys aren't going to believe me but as at 3pm today (EST), this story has been promoted to FRONT PAGE CNN news under the column "More Top Stories" where about a dozen top stories headlines are available to be clicked to their full story. Hungry-Hungry Hippos is sharing the top story headline space with:

Egypt sentences 683 to death
Basketball Hall of Famer Ramsay dies
16-year-old attacked on prom day
Surprise! Catcher is soldier dad
Why this 23-year-old has 24 kids
Socialite dies, throws a party
10 things Indiana Jones taught us HLN
Beyonce and Jay Z touring together
Google fine-tunes self-driving cars
How superheroes help kids soar
Searchers unearth grave of 'E.T.'
25 board games you played to death
Best airport restaurants

Worst news network in the world. Do you notice how one of those headlines sort of doesn't fit with the rest? At first I was sure it was going to be the boardgames one but now upon reading the list, Egypt sentencing almost 700 people to death seems a little too "actual news" to fit with the rest.

At this point, I think "More Top Stories" is driven by hits rather than editorial control. It must be which stories are trending, since this is nuts.
  • Black Barney
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20

Re: 25 'popular' board games article linked off of CNN 29 Apr 2014 16:27 #176917

Black Barney wrote:
Green Lantern, that's it exactly. I had them mixed up and have no idea what the differences between the two are anyway :(

Happy to help, Barney. Heroscape is a tactical army building experience with cool 3-D terrain the affects the game mechanically. HeroQuest is a classic dungeon crawler, complete with a DM and the four basic classes from D&D. Both contain excellent components that include terrain features and kick ass miniatures to drool over.

Re: 25 'popular' board games article linked off of CNN 29 Apr 2014 16:58 #176926

I got sick of CNN after the first month of coverage following 9/11. I turned it off and haven't watched it ever since. Then again maybe its not for me, I'm Canadian...
  • thejinx13
  • D4
  • Thank you received: 20
"Hey man careful there's a beverage here!" -The Dude
Moderators: Jackwraith, Mad Dog, wadenels
Time to create page: 0.258 seconds