Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Flash Point: Fire Rescue- What are the best expansions?

Flash Point: Fire Rescue- What are the best expansions? 27 Feb 2015 15:57 #198487

So Flash Point was a HUGE hit with the kids. It's very tangible for them that you're firefighters saving people from a burning building. Scarlett got upset when the cat burned up "I miss her." I think it's a damn near perfect family game with the basic rules.

I really liked it solo too using the advanced rules and I think my gang might dig it too.

And of course, since I'm an all-in psychopath, I immediately filled a cart with all of the expansions at CSI. BUT I'd kind of like to not get all of them at once. Has anyone played with any of them? Which are the "must-haves"? It seems to me that the building boards don't make a huge difference, but the rules and add-on elements do.
  • Michael Barnes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Mountebank
  • Thank you received: 6058
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Flash Point: Fire Rescue- What are the best expansions? 27 Feb 2015 16:08 #198488

Flash Point is great, kicks the shit out of Pandemic.

Urban Structures is hot because it provides for two very difficult maps if you're wanting to up the ante. It also has the Structural Engineer - a new role that can repair walls.

2nd Story is interesting because it introduces multi-level maps, almost like a game changing terrain element in a skirmish game.

I'd stay away from the newer ones until you've played those two as they continually get more complex and build off previous ideas.

Also, I created a campaign mode where you carried Firefighters over between missions earning experience for your individual guy as well as for your Firehouse (from achievements). You can buy upgrades for your guy as well as the Firehouse and it kicked the game into high gear for me making it one of my most played solo games for awhile as I grew attached to my characters and really struggled with the temptation of staying in the building and risking a bit more right before it collapsed.

My design is a bit dated at this point as I've grown more experienced as a designer I'd change a couple of things but I think it's pretty solid. It is very difficult though and your guys can actually die, probably not desirable with children.

The files for my campaign mode (Ladder 11) can be found on BGG.
  • charlest
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 1683
Last Edit: 27 Feb 2015 16:09 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Gary Sax, JEM

Flash Point: Fire Rescue- What are the best expansions? 27 Feb 2015 16:37 #198492

Yeah, I think it's much better than Pandemic. It's so straightforward, and the rules are firmly grounded in real-world common sense. If a fire causes an explosion, it does this. It's harder to move carrying somebody or through a fire. You have to walk to the truck to use the deck gun. Under the basic rules, there is zero card text involved. No event cards to drive it or anything like that- just a simple action point scheme, grid-based movement and the fire advancement mechanic. Such a clean design.

2nd Story was definitely one I was thinking about first. I think what I'll do is just try them out in order.
  • Michael Barnes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Mountebank

Flash Point: Fire Rescue- What are the best expansions? 28 Feb 2015 18:33 #198554

The only expansion I've bought/played is Dangerous Waters.

I got it because I thought fighting fires on a sub would be bad ass, and guess what, it is.
  • Stonecutter
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 253

Flash Point: Fire Rescue- What are the best expansions? 28 Feb 2015 18:46 #198555

i don't know the names of the expansions but basically get more boards. 2nd story is a solid addition.

Flash Point: Fire Rescue- What are the best expansions? 28 Feb 2015 20:01 #198556

I went with 2nd Story and Urban Structures...definitely want the others.

The sub one sounds pretty awesome...there's an airplane too.
  • Michael Barnes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Mountebank

Flash Point: Fire Rescue- What are the best expansions? 28 Feb 2015 20:22 #198557

I was going to suggest 2nd Story and Urban structures as well. It's one of my favorite coops, and has one of the most well-integrated themes ever. Killed any desire to play Pandemic for me.
  • gversace
  • D4
  • Thank you received: 39

Flash Point: Fire Rescue- What are the best expansions? 28 Feb 2015 23:45 #198563

I was actually at the same boat a while ago. Tried playing it with a friend's some time ago, and was looking at the expansions. It seems Extreme Danger was the most attractive to me. But only because it was mainly boards, which you want to avoid.

As for it being a Pandemic killer? Not really. Pandemic has this "put on top of the deck" mechanic which makes the game random at first, but later the disease spread in a somewhat predictable, but still random and sometimes in unexpected manner.
  • Sevej
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 672

Flash Point: Fire Rescue- What are the best expansions? 02 Mar 2015 08:30 #198607

I really like the split level, ladders, windows and thin wall elements that 2nd Story adds to the game. To be honest, Extreme Danger is the only set I'm not interested in. I do have Honor & Duty from the kickstarter (I know...)m but haven't played it yet.
  • JEM
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 581
Moderators: Jackwraith, Mad Dog, wadenels
Time to create page: 0.269 seconds