Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: SOS Titanic

SOS Titanic 04 Mar 2015 15:44 #198794

Years ago, I saw the Titanic exhibit in Memphis and was amazed to see among the artifacts were some playing cards displayed. Well preserved for being at the bottom of the ocean all those years and being a gamer had to wonder what games were being played aboard the Titanic.

Fast forward to SOS Titanic a game based on solitaire which puts you aboard the Titanic in an official role to try to save as many passengers as possible. If you play
solitaire you know most of the rules already. What is clever though is how the rules tie in with the sinking of the ship. Women and children passengers are saved first to the Aces rows in a normal game of solitaire. If you can't play a card on a row you have to turn the booklet which shows the gradual sinking of the Titanic with each page turn.. Eventually your rows sink and are gone and any passengers in those rows are shuffled together and start a new row, simulating the scrambling of the passengers to high parts of the ship. Action cards are added to help you dig through the discard and play piles as well as other things to aid you. Also each Crew member character you play has a special ability to help you in your quest to save the passengers.

I enjoyed this quite a bit and it was a welcome addition to my solitaire game collection, which includes B17 Queen of the Skies and Hooyah. You can of course play this with more players but you just take turns with a different character each, I haven't tried it that way yet. It took me about 4 games before I saved all the passengers and when I did I was surprised because the first few games were brutal.

The only knock I have on the game is that it kind of goes crazy with special powers. The characters and action cards make for a lot of these and I found myself checking the rule book often even after I had a few plays under my belt. As to game, balance I will check with Pierre the Eurosnoot to get an analysis because I won't begin to think how some of these powers may throw the game off.

If your only experience with solitaire has been playing it in the office on your PC, you should try this game. I recently was playing solitaire with an actual deck of cards, away from the PC and found I really enjoyed it, a real organic and "de-nerding" experience and a scene right out of James Bond Doctor No.
Last Edit: 04 Mar 2015 15:48 by The*Mad*Gamer.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Mad Dog, JEM

SOS Titanic 04 Mar 2015 16:05 #198797

I had this and hated it. The iOS version is better but it's just too slow paced and kind of borders on boring.
  • Nulluser
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 3200
youtube.com/watch?v=ZkHxIlNZTk4

SOS Titanic 04 Mar 2015 16:12 #198799

You were just too hyped up from playing Space Cadets after eating your normal 3 bowls of fruit loops and browsing the net while playing xbox at the same time.
Slow down TNT, take a visit to Mayberry, it will do you good! What's your hurry?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nulluser

SOS Titanic 04 Mar 2015 17:07 #198804

I'm a Cap'n Crunch kid of guy. The Cap'n makes me a better crimefighter.

Actually, this isn't the game I thought. I was looking at the photo and thinking it was Collapsible D...
www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/108012/c...inal-minutes-titanic
...which was the shitfest I had spoken of.

There was an OLD Milton-Bradley game that was fun, which I remember fairly vividly, but it seems to me that it's sad that such a tragic story has been so poorly represented as a board game. I would love to see a game like Survive! ported to this theme, because I can think of nothing more fun than taking a horror story like this and making it about punching women and children in the face to save your own ass.
  • Nulluser
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 3200
youtube.com/watch?v=ZkHxIlNZTk4

SOS Titanic 04 Mar 2015 17:19 #198805

I am a Milton Bradley /Parker Brothers sage but the game of which you speak never made it to my table. Will have to seek it out!

Your Survive idea is a good one and it certainly plays well into the current crop of gamers who already punch kids in the face indirectly by hoarding games like Loupin' Louie and making the supply shorter for the intended audience. No doubt the new Star Wars Loopin' Louie will be bought by more adults than kids which is an unfortunate influence of "The Gathering" on modern game design.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nulluser

SOS Titanic 04 Mar 2015 19:29 #198815

SuperflyTNT wrote:
I had this and hated it. The iOS version is better but it's just too slow paced and kind of borders on boring.

You're thinking of a different Titanic game, Pete. This one is a riff on the old Patience card game, and there isn't an iOS version of it. I know the game you're referring to, but can't remember the name.

EDIT: Whoops, didn't see your reply. Sorry.
  • Grudunza
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 808
Last Edit: 04 Mar 2015 19:30 by Grudunza.
Moderators: Jackwraith, Mad Dog, wadenels
Time to create page: 0.267 seconds