Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: The Lessons of the Cabin In The Woods

The Lessons of the Cabin In The Woods 22 Apr 2016 13:28 #226301

No, not the movie; It's about games.

I recently was in a place that was remote enough to have no internet or cell service to speak of, and despite bringing "family favorites", we were drawn to a crappy 10-in-1 wooden game box.

This place was a dump, and the game set was in the same shape - not enough tokens, chessmen, etc. That said, we played the shit out of Checkers and Chinese Checkers, and it reminded me that despite having no cards, no dice, and only having enough marbles of any one color that we had to create " color sets " to play, these old ass games are still awesome and are far deeper than half the hundred dollar Albatrosses that Kickstarter peddles daily.

There were no glow in the dark pieces, no perfectly sculpted metal coins, and no custom dice. Well, those shitty King/Queen dice, but I still don't know what the hell those are for.

Either I'm getting old, or I've become so damned jaded by the neverending sea of bullshit coming from the industry proper that I found myself digging in our "Beyond" boxes (as in, the boxes that contain random hoardings that fall into the third category of Bed, Bath, and Beyond) to find my own old-school "multi game set" so that we can keep playing.

The lesson I took away from it all is that despite having no navigation system, no surround sound system, no sunroof, no airbags, and no traction control, a 69 Stingray Corvette still rocks the fuck out, so why would classic board games be any different?
  • Nulluser
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 3200
youtube.com/watch?v=ZkHxIlNZTk4
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, wadenels

The Lessons of the Cabin In The Woods 22 Apr 2016 13:37 #226302

Guess you're not interested in Xia and its perfectly sculpted metal coins anymore?
  • charlest
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 1613
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nulluser

The Lessons of the Cabin In The Woods 22 Apr 2016 13:43 #226303

I'd still bite the head off of a kitten for that one. I mean, one must still have standards.

I'm actually looking at 24 karat white and yellow gold marbles for Chinese Checkers, but only because it's hard to slice Chinese baby fingers thin enough to make proper checkers.
  • Nulluser
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 3200
youtube.com/watch?v=ZkHxIlNZTk4

The Lessons of the Cabin In The Woods 22 Apr 2016 14:07 #226304

For the benefit of anybody disappointed by this thread so far:

• Shellhead
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 2356
The following user(s) said Thank You: HiveGod, Black Barney, Nulluser, Gregarius

The Lessons of the Cabin In The Woods 22 Apr 2016 14:17 #226305

THANK YOU

so who won the pool? Was it Ronny the intern or Maintenance? Why does Ronny get his own pool entry?

lol @ sexy witches right after witches. How bad could the sexy witches possibly be? Sounds like a good way to go.

lol, angry molesting tree! WHAT?!

who or what is KEVIN?!

The Huron?

anyway, i think the scariest of all of them was "The Doctors"

way to save the thread, Shell. nice job.
  • Black Barney
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 2677
"We must let go of the life we had planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us." - Joseph Campbell
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nulluser

The Lessons of the Cabin In The Woods 22 Apr 2016 16:27 #226315

All of the monsters in The Cabin in the Woods were inspired by past horror movies. The angry, molesting tree is likely from The Evil Dead movies. I have no clue about The Huron. As for Kevin...

thecabininthewoods.wikia.com/wiki/Kevin

"Director's comments reveal it is most like the character "Kevin" from the novel "We Need to Talk About Kevin", in which the child Kevin displays sadistic violent tendencies."

It occurs to me that The Cabin in the Woods should be watched on April 20th, along with Hansel & Gretel Get Baked.
  • Shellhead
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D12
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

The Lessons of the Cabin In The Woods 22 Apr 2016 16:38 #226317

Did you guys see that Canada announcement on 4/20 that they plan on legalize and regulating marijuana?

Well played Canada :)

Shell, ok I need to find out about some of those horror movies cuz some of those monsters were REALLY scaring me. The ones that scared me the most were:
- The doctors - super creepy. What the hell movie was that?
- What were the deadites? Were they the Hellraiser guys or was it those super creepy things that would vomit toxic acidic stuff over their victim's faces? Those guys were SCARY

I would watch a horror movie with sexy witches. Stardust wasn't quite it. Vamp only succeeded in forever making me not want to sleep with black women.
  • Black Barney
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
"We must let go of the life we had planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us." - Joseph Campbell
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister

The Lessons of the Cabin In The Woods 22 Apr 2016 16:45 #226320

Not sure about the origin of the Doctors.

The Deadites come from The Evil Dead movies.

The Hellraiser cenobites were represented by the Hell Lord in this movie.

Sexy witches? The Craft, I guess.
  • Shellhead
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D12

The Lessons of the Cabin In The Woods 22 Apr 2016 16:47 #226321

The Doctors reminded me a bit of a mix of Hostel and Turistas but I think there was another Brazilian horror movie once that was about surgeries and doctors, I can't remember.

do you remember those things that vomited the corrosive stuff? I don't see them in the list, but I remember them in the movie quite clearly.

Also, this is the best hijack we've had in a while. To the point that Booth should find us a meme or something.
  • Black Barney
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
Last Edit: 22 Apr 2016 16:48 by Black Barney.
Moderators: Jackwraith, Mad Dog, wadenels
Time to create page: 0.237 seconds