October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Welcome to one of the oldest board game communities on the Internet. That may sound like hyperbole but it really is true.

We are really happy to have you here. Unfortunately, being online we can't bond with you over a game so you'd know right away how happy we are to meet you. For now, you'll just have to take our word for it.

This site has always thrived on lively discussion and spirited but civil debate. We hope that newcomers here will find a welcoming atmosphere where game enthusiasts of all levels of experience and commitment will have something to add to the conversation. You never need to prove your “gamer cred” here. Whether you have been playing board games for a few months or a few decades; whether you have a huge collection or a small one; whether you have been a member here for years or just joined today – your opinion is valued here.

We know that it can be intimidating to jump into a new community and want to assure you that this is NOT the kind of forum where people will tell you that you posted something in the wrong place, or that you should have found an existing thread on the topic, or that you shouldn’t have resurrected an old thread.

So if you find a thread or an article discussion that interests you, whether it is old or new, feel free to jump in. Want to discuss a specific game or board gaming related topic just start a new topic. If you don’t know which forum to put it in, just make your best guess (we really don’t care all that much. It’s easy enough for a moderator to move it or merge it, if necessary).

A good place to get started is by introducing yourself in the “New Members Introduce Yourself” thread (below) or by telling us what you have been playing in the “What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?" thread ( therewillbe.games/forum/35-mos-eisley-ca...ave-you-been-playing ).

Have fun, and we look forward to hearing from you.

New Members Introduce Yourself

More
01 Jan 2015 20:34 #193794 by stormseeker75
Randy, you should know that Barney is pretty awesome. Welcome to the Fort.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, randyo, epaparellanto

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2015 00:10 #193804 by randyo
Thanks!

Yeah, that's the icon for an iOS game called "Dead End HD" that I made in 2011. (Still available...) Funny thing about names on the app store. I called the original release "Dead End", and then when I put out an update that added iPad support, I renamed the game to "Dead End HD". Then a year ago I discovered a new game had come out with the name "Dead End". D'oh!

I have a bunch more art and such at randyzero.tumblr.com or randyo.net !
The following user(s) said Thank You: epaparellanto

More
02 Jan 2015 08:30 #193816 by bomber

stormseeker75 wrote: Randy, you should know that Barney is pretty awesome. Welcome to the Fort.

I think in the interests of being up front, we should add that he is neither black, nor does he look like Richard Simmons. The latter fact in particular is only destined to be a painful letdown later, so I think new users should be alerted of this when they come here to avoid making the pain worse.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, stormseeker75, randyo, epaparellanto

More
08 Apr 2015 21:50 #200550 by Feelitmon
Hi everyone. Long time lurker here; thought I'd go ahead and start posting from time to time.

Games-wise, I was huge into RPGs, boardgames, and videogames in high school and college, then gave up boardgaming for quite a while due to frequent work-related moves and such. I just got back into boardgames a couple of years ago, so I'm still in that "there are so many amazing games, wow!" phase. In terms of videogames, ours was an Atari household when I was a wee lad, and then I had nothing in college, and by the time I looked into them again it was PC gaming time, then an add-on Sega Genesis, then an XBOX. The upshot is that there is a huge, gaping Nintendo-shaped hole in my gaming history: I have no experience with Zelda, Metroid, Mario Bros., Smash Bros., Final Fantasy, Castlevania, frickin' Duck Hunt... any of that stuff. Sometimes I detect a bit of pity from my friends because of it, but then most of them don't know what the hell I'm talking about when I mention System Shock 2, Star Control 2, Master of Magic, Autoduel, Wizardry, or Ultima Underworld, so I guess we're even.

More
08 Apr 2015 22:12 #200552 by hotseatgames
Grab a 3DSXL and go to town. I'd say a Wii U, but honestly there's so much more great stuff on the handheld.

More
08 Apr 2015 22:53 - 08 Apr 2015 22:55 #200556 by Michael Barnes
There's never been a better time to catch up on classic Nintendo titles. Both the 3DSXL and Wii U have tons of timeless, classic games from the 80s and 90s- ranging in price from $3.99 to $9.99 and available on demand.

I'd say the Wii U is a better choice for classic games if only because Virtual Console there has SNES, GBA and now N64 titles. 3DS has NES, Game Boy, and Game Boy Color.

Pretty much any of the main Mario, Metroid and Zelda games are masterpieces- but I would actually recommend starting with the SNES editions of those (so Super Mario World, Super Metroid and Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past).

Or, go with the most recent titles- Super Mario 3D World, LoZ: The A Link Between Worlds and the Metroid Prime Trilogy. The gameplay in each is fundamentally the same as in those classic titles. Truly timeless design.
Last edit: 08 Apr 2015 22:55 by Michael Barnes.

More
08 Apr 2015 23:28 #200560 by Feelitmon
Thanks for the great recommendations, you guys. I think I'll give it a go.

For the longest time now I've squirmed away from any game that was too platform-y. At first I thought that those types of games just weren't my thang, but I've begun to wonder whether it was simply due to a lack of exposure to the Nintendo library during my formative years. Are my platformer instincts like a neglected child raised in the back of a dark, filthy closet--too old now to ever learn how to speak? There's no way to know but by trying!

More
18 May 2015 17:22 #202638 by Throst
My buddy Matt Loter has been trying to get me to visit FortressAT for a very long time, especially with my big-time aspirations of reviewing board games and tabletop journalism. I've put it off, and put it off, and put it off. I've always said to myself "Self, you're an all-around gamer, you can't be pigeonholed as a dude who just likes Ameritrashy games. That's all you'll get here!" I never reminded myself that hey, I've only been board gaming for two years, tops, and I should probably not be a jaded jerk yet.

Anyway. The other day I received Forge War in the mail. I grabbed it to get free shipping, because all the hardcore cardboard nerds are loving it. Loving it.

I probably should have did a little more investigation, watched a few more videos, taken a glance at a few photos, before clicking that button to purchase it. But instead, I waited until it was on my table to open this 8-lb. monster. Then I dug through the components, and my heart sank. Because where are the brilliantly-animated, over the top cartoon heroes? Where are the unnecessary-but-awesome monster miniatures, for the warriors I craft weapons for to do battle with? This seems boring!

...and that's when it finally sunk in. I am an Ameritrash gamer. The trashier, the better. I've leapt at the chance to play a 12-hour game of Twilight Imperium just to push little plastic space ships around cardboard tiles.

So here I am, embracing who I am deep inside my heart. Hi everyone, I'm Throst. Or Shane. Whichever. I look forward to chatting with you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, hotseatgames, engineer Al, stoic, epaparellanto

More
18 May 2015 17:43 #202639 by Shellhead
Throst, welcome aboard. Sorry to hear that you fell for Forge War. I'm a dedicated AmeriTrash player, too, and I've learned to avoid worker placement games because they are almost always boring, passive-aggressive cube-pusher games. Except for Sons of Anarchy, which is a violent and highly interactive worker placement game that I intend to buy soon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic, epaparellanto, Throst

More
19 May 2015 08:34 #202658 by charlest
Forge War's designer, Isaac Childres, is working on an Ameritrashy dungeon crawl with campaign play. Coop, no DM. I didn't see too much of the prototype so not sure about it.

I also taught him Merchants and Marauders which he really liked, so there may be some Ameritrash hope in there yet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: epaparellanto, Throst

More
15 Jul 2015 16:16 #206330 by VALIS
Evening all, bit of a lurker, but I'm coming to realise that this is the best place to discuss proper boardgames.

I love most Ameritrash (although everything by Twilight Creations needs punching in the face and burning in the centre of a star), and have slowly come to despise the soulless, engine-building, resource-management accountancy cube-fests that get drooled over on BGG. I'm still going to use BGG a lot, but the clientele here seem to know what fun is.

I'm in Lancashire, England.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Shellhead, ChristopherMD, Sagrilarus, Columbob, engineer Al, epaparellanto

More
15 Jul 2015 17:02 #206332 by Shellhead

VALIS wrote: Evening all, bit of a lurker, but I'm coming to realise that this is the best place to discuss proper boardgames.

I love most Ameritrash (although everything by Twilight Creations needs punching in the face and burning in the centre of a star), and have slowly come to despise the soulless, engine-building, resource-management accountancy cube-fests that get drooled over on BGG. I'm still going to use BGG a lot, but the clientele here seem to know what fun is.

I'm in Lancashire, England.

I can't quite bring myself to get rid of my Zombies!!! and Humans!!! games yet. I know that they aren't good games, and yet there was a certain undeniable enjoyment that everybody seemed to have during the first hour of a game of Zombies!!! But every single time, the game outstayed its welcome by an hour or so. I suspect that the expansion with the sewer lids and subway stations was exactly the right fix to speed the game up, but by the time I bought it, most of my friends no longer wanted to play Zombies!!!.
The following user(s) said Thank You: epaparellanto, VALIS

More
15 Jul 2015 19:13 #206335 by Not Sure
Good name, VALIS. Welcome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: epaparellanto, VALIS

More
16 Jul 2015 02:22 #206340 by VALIS
Many thanks for the warm welcome chaps.

Hopefully I can contribute a little, even if it is only the odd angry rant masquerading as a "review" of a boardgame!

More
16 Jul 2015 05:35 #206343 by repoman
Those are the best kind of reviews.

Welcome aboard.
The following user(s) said Thank You: engineer Al, epaparellanto, VALIS

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.541 seconds