October 09, 2023
2506 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2705 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Gamer parents/family games/gaming with kids forum [poll]

• Steve Weeks
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Jan 2012 15:31 #113283 by Steve Weeks
Ahhhh. A Can of Pabst in the shot. Nice!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jan 2012 16:00 #113285 by OldHippy
I couldn't care less what the forums are called personally since I only use them when I'm searching for an old thread. But I would certainly like reviews of family games, that's cool with me. My only caveat would be that I don't want anything else diminished.

Family talk is useful for me since I'm a new dad and I like to hear other perspecitives, it's useful even when I don't agree with people.

So mostly yes on all fronts unless that includes making it kid friendly. Like Loter I'll write whatever pops in my head without a seconds thought, including swears if I feel the need. I presonally don't care if my kid hears swears since I don't think of fuck or shit as bad words. I'm a context dude, that's all that matters to me.

More
18 Jan 2012 17:09 #113292 by ubarose

JonJacob wrote: I couldn't care less what the forums are called personally since I only use them when I'm searching for an old thread. But I would certainly like reviews of family games, that's cool with me. My only caveat would be that I don't want anything else diminished.

Family talk is useful for me since I'm a new dad and I like to hear other perspecitives, it's useful even when I don't agree with people.

So mostly yes on all fronts unless that includes making it kid friendly. Like Loter I'll write whatever pops in my head without a seconds thought, including swears if I feel the need. I presonally don't care if my kid hears swears since I don't think of fuck or shit as bad words. I'm a context dude, that's all that matters to me.

This, along with a few other posts, sums up the issue nicely.

Is it possible to have a dad friendly forum, where members feel free to post:

My fucking kids are driving me fucking insane. The older one can't stop himself from bending the the fuck out of the Memoir '44 cards when we play. And the younger one fucking cheats at Hi-Ho-Cherry-O by hiding the fucking cherries up her nose. Any recommendations on how to protect my Memoir '44 cards. And should I take the younger one to the emergency room, or do you think the cherry lodged up her nose will eventually work it's way out on it's own.

And can we provide such a forum without diminishing the experience of the Fort for members who don't give a shit about other people's kids, or about playing games with children, or who come here to escape from dealing with kid and family issues.

MattLoter wrote: PS: This is what this thread is for right?

Not to pick on Matt, I have no problem with his post and am actually glad he posted it here. It, along with others, is a good illustration of how discussing children and family gaming can be made difficult and give the feeling that such discussions are discouraged.

Sagrilarus wrote: I'm one of the repeat offenders here, and I recommend keeping the focus of the site on gaming. There's other sites better suited to parenting.

Agreed. But the Fort might be well suited to, for example, fixing a problem we are having when we play Hogwarts House Cup Challenge with less than 4 players. But I am hesitant to post about it because I felt that although one or two members might be interested/helpful, many others might be put-off by a post about a lame kid's game and I didn't feel like inviting their expression of their annoyance.

More
18 Jan 2012 17:18 #113295 by jur

ubarose wrote: Agreed. But the Fort might be well suited to, for example, fixing a problem we are having when we play Hogwarts House Cup Challenge with less than 4 players. But I am hesitant to post about it because I felt that although one or two members might be interested/helpful, many others might be put-off by a post about a lame kid's game and I didn't feel like inviting their expression of their annoyance.

That might still happen. As you see, it's mostly (part time) dads involved here. But I see no reason not to post that kind of stuff. I don't think many people will gloss over it because it has a separate subforum, but I also don't think many people will be bothered. I'd say go ahead.

More
18 Jan 2012 17:27 #113297 by Stephen Avery
Have kids. Teach Kids. Love Kids. Do not want anything to do with kids on F:AT.

Steve"Vote-No"Avery

More
18 Jan 2012 21:02 #113326 by Notahandle
Why not? Set them up and see what happens.

More
19 Jan 2012 02:32 #113353 by Stan Leer
Maybe I'm missing something but a forum with a kids game focus sounds great and doesn't twists anybody's arm to read it.

I don't check out the vast majority of threads on a regular basis.

More
19 Jan 2012 05:06 #113358 by cdennett
Not sure why people would care if there were forums for more family oriented gaming pursuits...just don't bother reading them.

As for profanity, the forums are for family game discussion by ADULTS, so why the fuck not curse in them. I'm not letting my son anywhere near F:AT forums, regardless of the subject matter. One post by Loter and he may start wanting to play video games with girls in them using a purple gamepad...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ska_baron

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds