October 09, 2023
2460 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Gamer parents/family games/gaming with kids forum [poll]

More
18 Jan 2012 10:55 #113249 by jur
I think most guys come here to get away from the kids and be able to swear and talk about fun stuff.

I do

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jan 2012 12:34 - 18 Jan 2012 12:43 #113257 by Bullwinkle
I thought most Eurogames were family games.

But speaking as someone without children (and thank Christ--seriously, reading some of you guys' posts is the most effective birth control I've ever seen), I say why not have separate forums? Admittedly, there's lots of family talk already happening all over the site, so you could argue it's not necessary, but sometimes having its own category sparks more discussion. (This is especially true for new users.)
Last edit: 18 Jan 2012 12:43 by Bullwinkle.

More
18 Jan 2012 13:39 #113260 by Ska_baron
Wow! Proof positive that YOU TOO have a voice in changing the Fort! Thanks for taking that comment to heart, Uba.

I think having a section that's specifically for family games/family stuff in general is great like Bullwinkle says for sparking new discussion that might otherwise not feel like it has a place. And if you're sans kids and/or single, you can self edit the content you read like Uba does with Wargamers.

More
18 Jan 2012 14:14 #113267 by Sagrilarus
I'm one of the repeat offenders here, and I recommend keeping the focus of the site on gaming. There's other sites better suited to parenting.

S.

More
18 Jan 2012 15:28 #113281 by MattFantastic

MattLoter wrote: Just recoreded eposide one of Kinderspiel De Drunk as Fuck, hopedully I;lll gett iot edited soon. Currenly I think its pretty awesome but we;kk see when I look at it less complely drunk as fucck, Get stoked!

So, this is totally a real thing now and still exists now that I'm sober in the morning. Hopefully editing it into something entertaining will be possible, but if nothing else, we had a whole lot of fun...

PS: This is what this thread is for right?

• Steve Weeks
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Jan 2012 15:31 #113283 by Steve Weeks
Ahhhh. A Can of Pabst in the shot. Nice!

More
18 Jan 2012 16:00 #113285 by OldHippy
I couldn't care less what the forums are called personally since I only use them when I'm searching for an old thread. But I would certainly like reviews of family games, that's cool with me. My only caveat would be that I don't want anything else diminished.

Family talk is useful for me since I'm a new dad and I like to hear other perspecitives, it's useful even when I don't agree with people.

So mostly yes on all fronts unless that includes making it kid friendly. Like Loter I'll write whatever pops in my head without a seconds thought, including swears if I feel the need. I presonally don't care if my kid hears swears since I don't think of fuck or shit as bad words. I'm a context dude, that's all that matters to me.

More
18 Jan 2012 17:09 #113292 by ubarose

JonJacob wrote: I couldn't care less what the forums are called personally since I only use them when I'm searching for an old thread. But I would certainly like reviews of family games, that's cool with me. My only caveat would be that I don't want anything else diminished.

Family talk is useful for me since I'm a new dad and I like to hear other perspecitives, it's useful even when I don't agree with people.

So mostly yes on all fronts unless that includes making it kid friendly. Like Loter I'll write whatever pops in my head without a seconds thought, including swears if I feel the need. I presonally don't care if my kid hears swears since I don't think of fuck or shit as bad words. I'm a context dude, that's all that matters to me.

This, along with a few other posts, sums up the issue nicely.

Is it possible to have a dad friendly forum, where members feel free to post:

My fucking kids are driving me fucking insane. The older one can't stop himself from bending the the fuck out of the Memoir '44 cards when we play. And the younger one fucking cheats at Hi-Ho-Cherry-O by hiding the fucking cherries up her nose. Any recommendations on how to protect my Memoir '44 cards. And should I take the younger one to the emergency room, or do you think the cherry lodged up her nose will eventually work it's way out on it's own.

And can we provide such a forum without diminishing the experience of the Fort for members who don't give a shit about other people's kids, or about playing games with children, or who come here to escape from dealing with kid and family issues.

MattLoter wrote: PS: This is what this thread is for right?

Not to pick on Matt, I have no problem with his post and am actually glad he posted it here. It, along with others, is a good illustration of how discussing children and family gaming can be made difficult and give the feeling that such discussions are discouraged.

Sagrilarus wrote: I'm one of the repeat offenders here, and I recommend keeping the focus of the site on gaming. There's other sites better suited to parenting.

Agreed. But the Fort might be well suited to, for example, fixing a problem we are having when we play Hogwarts House Cup Challenge with less than 4 players. But I am hesitant to post about it because I felt that although one or two members might be interested/helpful, many others might be put-off by a post about a lame kid's game and I didn't feel like inviting their expression of their annoyance.

More
18 Jan 2012 17:18 #113295 by jur

ubarose wrote: Agreed. But the Fort might be well suited to, for example, fixing a problem we are having when we play Hogwarts House Cup Challenge with less than 4 players. But I am hesitant to post about it because I felt that although one or two members might be interested/helpful, many others might be put-off by a post about a lame kid's game and I didn't feel like inviting their expression of their annoyance.

That might still happen. As you see, it's mostly (part time) dads involved here. But I see no reason not to post that kind of stuff. I don't think many people will gloss over it because it has a separate subforum, but I also don't think many people will be bothered. I'd say go ahead.

More
18 Jan 2012 17:27 #113297 by Stephen Avery
Have kids. Teach Kids. Love Kids. Do not want anything to do with kids on F:AT.

Steve"Vote-No"Avery

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds