October 09, 2023
2450 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2652 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

spam posts staring with "parajumpers outlet"

More
04 Nov 2013 11:35 #164357 by hecose
I use Feedly to read RSS feeds from F:AT, and for a few weeks at least I have been getting many spam posts, mostly with titles starting with "parajumpers outlet". Does anyone else get this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Nov 2013 12:53 #164360 by wadenels
Exact same situation with me (using Feedly as well).

I suspect that the spam posts are being posted as blog entries and show up in the RSS feed before the admins get a chance to delete them?

More
04 Nov 2013 14:10 #164364 by ubarose
A very determined spammer is creating spam blog entries. We delete them and block the user as soon as we see them, but we can't watch the site 24/7.

I'm not sure how Feedly works, but we do create an RSS feed of just the articles, and just the news. Both of these sections require admin approval for publishing. If you want you can use these feeds which don't get spammed, but it means that you also won't get legit blogs in your feed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hecose

More
04 Nov 2013 16:55 #164378 by hecose
Thank you Ubarose for the quick reply. Feedly should be just like any other RSS feed reader. It seems the RSS feed is being spammed. That is strange indeed since you said articles coming through the RSS feed need prior approval by admins. Can it be that spam articles go straight to RSS feed, and admins are actually deleting them afterwards after they have already gone out? It is strange that a spammer is able to create spam articles in the first place. I imagine an article writer would need ID and password to be able to publish anything. Can it be due to features like blogging by SMS / mobile phone or other channels that such spam is getting through?

More
04 Nov 2013 16:58 #164379 by Gary Sax
Hecose... what she said is that the feed you have is for all items, including blogs. Blogs potentially CAN be spammed. There are OTHER feeds F:AT provides that could solve your problem by only putting articles or news on them, which can't be spammed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, hecose

More
04 Nov 2013 17:13 #164384 by hecose
Ah I see. Thank you Gary. I do like the blogs, so skipping them won't work for me. Anyhow thank you for clarifying. I understand better now.

More
04 Nov 2013 17:34 #164388 by ubarose
Gary is correct. What he wrote is much clearer than what I wrote. The Blog gets spammed daily. Between all the staff, we catch most of it before the feed is cut, but sometimes we get so bombarded that we can't keep up with it all.

This is the feed with all articles, news, and blogs: feeds.feedburner.com/FortressAmeritrash

This is just news: feeds.feedburner.com/FortressAmeritrashNews

This is just articles: feeds.feedburner.com/Fortress_Ameritrash_Articles

This is just blogs: feeds.feedburner.com/Fortress_Ameritrash_Blog

This is just Fatcast: feeds.feedburner.com/fortressat/fatcast

This is the comments feed: feeds.feedburner.com/FortressComments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, wadenels

More
04 Nov 2013 21:29 #164427 by ThirstyMan
Can someone explain to me in simple terms, as if you were explaining to a mentally disabled child, what an RSS feed is and why I would want one.

More
04 Nov 2013 21:37 #164428 by ubarose

ThirstyMan wrote: Can someone explain to me in simple terms, as if you were explaining to a mentally disabled child, what an RSS feed is and why I would want one.

If you subscribe to the feed you get an email once a day with a list of all the new articles, blogs and news that have been published that day.

You can subscribe by going to this link: feeds.feedburner.com/FortressAmeritrash

However, in your case, you might not want a daily email from Fortress Ameritrash.

Some people also use a feed reader, so they can go to one site on line and see a list of everything from all the the sites that they follow all in one place.

More
04 Nov 2013 21:40 #164430 by Black Barney
and what if I need to know where the closest parajumpers factory outlet is?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
07 Nov 2013 11:28 #164664 by Schweig!

Black Barney wrote: and what if I need to know where the closest parajumpers factory outlet is?

The village I grew up in was close to the Iron Curtain so we used to have the occasional parajumper asking for directions to "Plzeň?"

After the Cold War ended, they stopped coming though, so I assume the parajumpers factories were moved to China like most everything else.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds