October 09, 2023
2481 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2683 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

My cartoons

More
23 Dec 2010 14:13 #82895 by Notahandle
Replied by Notahandle on topic Re:My cartoons
Schweig! wrote:
" There was no need to correct that, because Adrian and I understand each other. That is, I understand his faecal humour."
Actually, I was trying to match the humour to yours. You'll always be remembered for introducing Kackel Dackel to F:AT...

Hatchling wrote:
" you just left it a bit ambigous so that we need to fill in the blanks"
Back in my TOS days, I was one of the first to buy the Manipulating Ambiguity Microbadge because it appealed to my surreal sense of humour.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Dec 2010 15:03 #82899 by Hatchling
Replied by Hatchling on topic Re:My cartoons

More
09 Feb 2011 12:51 - 09 Feb 2011 13:02 #87305 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re:My cartoons
Argh, I'm out of good ideas for now.... I have some half-baked ones left and could maybe come up with something good over the weekend. (I'm counting on Freaky Friday.)

I was also wondering if the path I entered with the last four or so cartoons is worth pursuing. (Putting F:AT members into cartoons.) Feedback would be welcome.

(EDIT: And of course by posting this I just got another idea. :)
(EDIT2: Two in fact.)
Last edit: 09 Feb 2011 13:02 by Schweig!.

More
09 Feb 2011 12:59 #87309 by san il defanso
Replied by san il defanso on topic Re:My cartoons
I love the FAT member cartoons. The most recent one might be my favorite ever.

More
09 Feb 2011 13:12 #87311 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Re:My cartoons
F:AT member cartoons are cool the only problem is that all the jokes are very short lived and only appeal to people here... but it's a great community idea and I'm sure if you keep it up everyone will be anxious to see if they're in the next one. I have a number of ideas and if I had half the talent that Schweig!-y has I'd do something myself.

More
09 Feb 2011 13:19 - 09 Feb 2011 13:20 #87312 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Re:My cartoons
Simon, here's my 2 cents: If you put people into cartoons, do it more subtley. For instance, put Ken and MJL into a cartoon where Ken is Captain America and MJL is Grumpy Smurf. Captain talks about defending the rights of minorities, and MJL says "I hate minorities". Captain then talks about "defending the Fort against gay slurs" and MJL says "I hate gays". Then Loter, portrayed as Macho Man Randy Savage, comes in, and grumpy smurf has a worried look. Next frame, Grumpy Smurf is being worn as a glove by Loter, who is smiling, and Grumpy Smurf says "I hate cockpunches".

Things like that. Funny, but subtle. :)
Last edit: 09 Feb 2011 13:20 by SuperflyPete.

More
09 Feb 2011 13:39 #87318 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re:My cartoons
That's a good point, but I won't draw other cartoon characters out of principle. (This doesn't include avatars resembling people.) I'd feel like an imposter if I drew grouchy smurf or Captain America.

Do you think the cartoon about you could have been more subtle?

- - -

JonJacob, you also bring up a good point, but I have already decided upon that when I focused on inside jokes. I don't believe a single one of my cartoons (of this batch and the one before) can be understood by non-gamers. But I tend to believe that the more inside, F:AT-related a joke is, the more positive resonance I receive. I draw the toons for this site and don't care if others don't get it.

Also if you have ideas, please go ahead and put them to paper. I'll run out of ideas in 10 cartoons at the latest. When I started out my technique was pretty crappy. So don't let that stop you.

More
09 Feb 2011 14:07 #87330 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Re:My cartoons
Simon - your cartoons are your expressions, just do what you do and don't worry about what we want, that's when it stops being yours.

More
09 Feb 2011 14:12 #87332 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Re:My cartoons
Schweig! wrote:

That's a good point, but I won't draw other cartoon characters out of principle. (This doesn't include avatars resembling people.)

I was using examples, brother, but I think you got what I meant. Captain America, in the example, could be a random superhero looking guy with a big K on his chest, Grumpy Smurf could be a random gnome with a white hat, and Macho Man Randy Savage could be any random wrestler-dude.

You get what I'm saying though, so I won't belabor the point. The cartoons are funny, no doubt, but a little subtlety would allow the reader to cast their own impressions on who you were mocking, making it all the funnier when the commenters chime in.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds