October 09, 2023
2476 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2681 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

What happened to "Mayday! Mayday!" Humour article?

More
24 Mar 2011 11:26 #91990 by jur
Replied by jur on topic Re:What happened to
ubarose wrote:

Jur wrote:

ubarose wrote:

But speaking of special forums, I am looking for a volunteer to take over Trashdome.

Maybe show me the moderating policy first

The Trashdome moderating policy is:

Happy to help out. hereby my application.

My resumé:
basic online skills
basic forum administration skills
advanced statistical skills
advanced venting skills
AT street cred: 0
also I am happy to state that I'm over 21 years old and dont live in the state of Utah.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2011 11:43 #91994 by ubarose
Well okay Jur. The job is yours. I'll get you all set up, and you can start on Monday. Yay Jur!

• Angry Weeks
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Mar 2011 11:50 #91995 by Angry Weeks
Good news! Jur tends to be Pro Steve Weeks.

More
24 Mar 2011 11:56 #91996 by jur
I think there may be a policy on Steve Weeks and even though I'm his #1 fan, I would be now obliged to fall in line. Obviously with a heavy heart, but I don't want to disappoint the community.

More
24 Mar 2011 11:59 #91998 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Re:What happened to
Jur wrote:

I think there may be a policy on Steve Weeks and even though I'm his #1 fan, I would be now obliged to fall in line. Obviously with a heavy heart, but I don't want to disappoint the community.

I always recommended an 'electric cattle prod' policy but [sigh] as usual I was ignored.

More
24 Mar 2011 13:46 #92023 by Konig
Replied by Konig on topic Re:What happened to
ubarose wrote:

Well okay Jur. The job is yours. I'll get you all set up, and you can start on Monday. Yay Jur!

[in a think mexican accent]
"Jur kidding me?"

Konig

More
24 Mar 2011 13:55 #92026 by jur
Replied by jur on topic Re:What happened to
Konig wrote:

ubarose wrote:

[in a think mexican accent]
"Jur kidding me?"

Konig

Yes, Konigchen, I never thought I'd make it through the committee as well.

More
24 Mar 2011 15:08 #92041 by Notahandle
Replied by Notahandle on topic Re:What happened to
ubarose wrote:
" Well okay Jur. The job is yours. I'll get you all set up, and you can start on Monday. Yay Jur!"
You fool Jur! You should have held out for first dibs at the Christmas Orgy!

More
24 Mar 2011 15:17 #92043 by Notahandle
Replied by Notahandle on topic Re:What happened to
Columbob wrote:
" The other spoof was pulled down my Notahandle himself, so forget my plural. But the thread title was modified by someone else and the iceberg image was also unpublished by one of the mods."
My iceberg Humour one got pulled so I thought it prudent to unpublish it. I'm hoping an admin will get back to me about whether it can be republished. For now it's keeping a low profile.

More
24 Mar 2011 22:31 - 24 Mar 2011 22:56 #92097 by Ryan B.
Replied by Ryan B. on topic Re:What happened to

ubarose wrote:
I agree with Bullwinkle, Simon, Tom, as well as several others who have expressed this concern to me privately. I feel that some members seem have lost the ability to distinguish between debate/the expression of strong opinions, and ugly, vulgar name calling. The former is interesting to read, and makes you think, even when you may not entirely agree with the writer. The later is lazy, off-putting, strangles discussion, and hijacks threads such that other people are unable to continue discussing the original topic.

I think some members have also lost the ability to distinguish the boundary between playful trash talk, and hostile attacks.

Unfortunately, as this behavior has increased over the past few months, we have lost the participation of many of our more reasonable, mature, interesting, witty and thoughtful members, and with them, a great deal of the substantive discussion and nuanced humor that once defined and distinguished Fortress: Ameritrash.

To tact in a slightly different direction from this: F: AT is/was at its best when the disagreements are/were about the quality of the argument being made. And the trash talk centered on the argument.

Now it seems like some people automatically take exception to the way another person presents a discussion or they just don't like another person or they don't like the topic based upon their perspective of what Ameritrash is. Some people have established *pedigree* where it becomes one of those "how dare you criticize me... I was posting here when you were just a baby in diapers" mindsets. And it is interesting to see how people rush to defend others, solely because of WHO the person is... and not based on the quality of the point being made.

Its surprisingly *Eurosnoot* sometimes, IMO.

That said.... some very personal grudges, especially ones that are especially deep-seated from a personality/history standpoint, can be understood and accepted beyond the "argument" reasoning. Typically ones built up over time where a history exists because of certain actions taken. The Skeletor/Octavian feud comes most immediately to mind. That's at least understandable to me, even when it manifests itself on the posts.

(And Steve Weeks is an exception all to himself. I can practically forgive the fact he breaks every rule in the book because it is just so darn entertaining.... reasonable and unassailable one day and the lead fashion model for the "white jacket fall collection" the next..)
Last edit: 24 Mar 2011 22:56 by Ryan B..

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.422 seconds