October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Barnestorming- Shadows of Malice in Review, Segamania, Patlabor

More
23 Mar 2015 22:46 - 23 Mar 2015 22:47 #199919 by stoic
For some reason, Shadows of Malice reminds me very much of Barbarian Prince, but, a Barbarian Prince that is multiplayer, has cards, and is much more forgiving.

Last edit: 23 Mar 2015 22:47 by stoic.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2015 14:31 #199932 by Erik Twice
Don't be ashamed to like Gain Ground, it's not a bad game at all! It's some kind of blend between arcade action and strategy that really has had a lot of thought put into it. It's not everyone's cup of tea but I think it's a good game.

More
24 Mar 2015 14:48 #199933 by Gary Sax
Gain Ground is one of the best genesis games IMHO, good call back...

More
25 Mar 2015 10:42 #199942 by ZMan
Been watching a lot of anime on Netflix

Currently watching Full Metal Alchemist after many recommendations. Not too bad. I thought it was a high school thing but it's not and the stories get pretty gruesome at times.

Here is what I finished watching:
Attack on Titan - pretty good
Freezing - obligatory panty shots and naked breasts. But the idea was somewhat intriguing.
Magi: Labyrinth of Magic - fun and different
Psycho-Pass - very nice ideas (think minority report), especially the earlier episodes
Deadland Wonderland - Interesting. Wish it had more episodes
Knights of Sidonia - very good

Gonna watch Cowboy Bebop after Full Metal. I _think_ I saw Bebop but for the life of me I cannot remember any episodes so maybe I didn't watch it (and possibly confusing it with Trigun).

More
25 Mar 2015 10:52 #199943 by charlest
Cowboy Bebop is the only anime I've been able to get into. The Blade Runner/Star Wars blend combined with the distinct soundtrack is great. Surprisingly gritty and dreary.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
25 Mar 2015 11:00 #199946 by hotseatgames
I feel confident that there will never be an anime series better than Cowboy Bebop.

More
25 Mar 2015 11:16 #199949 by scrumpyjack

hotseatgames wrote: I feel confident that there will never be an anime series better than Cowboy Bebop.

Agreed. There's so many things to recommend about it, such as the quality of the hand drawn animation, the characters, the fight scenes, etc. However I think that the music is the greatest part of the experience and the series would be worth watching solely for the soundtrack.

More
25 Mar 2015 12:40 #199953 by Michael Barnes
Awesome, internet peer validation! I just ordered a used copy of the Cowboy Bebop box set. I sort of wrote it off back when it was current (15 years ago, really?) but I keep hearing that it is among the best of the best, and that is the tier I am interested in. I also hear that it's actually ADULT in that it's mature and is about adults, not the usual teenybop junk.

I haven't even thought of watching Full Metal Alchemist, it looked pretty teenage but if Zev gives it the high sign...Psycho-Pass looked pretty good, was thinking about putting it on the list somewhere down the line.

I'm actually watching the Yamato 2199 series now, I had just seen like the first five before. I am just completely blown away by it. It is EXACTLY what any fan of Yamato/Star Blazers would want out of a modern reboot. And then some. There is so much detail that I am just totally in love with. It is very, very much a NAVAL show, which is cool as hell because the lingo, tactics, technical detail and so forth is all naval junk. The Yamato actually fires artillery shells in this one too. The only thing that's a little off is that even the larger ships move like fighters.

But OMG, the mechanical design...the ships are GORGEOUS. Totally paying homage to the classic Matsumoto design styles. The Cosmo Fighters are up there with X-Wings and Vipers.

And I gotta say, when they first show the Yamato buried under its "camoflague and the first couple of bars of the theme played...misty eyed.

Also really love how they've handled the Gamilas/Gamalons...obviously Third Reich-influenced, but they are portrayed as actual people with differing motives, goals, agendas and degrees of morality and honor.

Great, great show. You can pick up a grey market DVD set on eBay for like $20.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scrumpyjack

More
25 Mar 2015 13:49 #199954 by Shellhead
I am not a big anime fan, but my girlfriend is, so I have watched a fair amount of it. My favorites include everything by Miyazaki, Samurai Champloo, Samurai 7, and Ghost in the Shell. Texhnolyze started out great, but had some pacing problems in the final episodes, after nearly everybody was dead.

For years, I heard great things from friends about Cowboy Bebop. I finally got around to watching it last year, and I was disappointed. The music was great, but the plots were sometimes thin, and I couldn't relate to any of the characters. Overall, I think that Cowboy Bebop was a triumph of style over substance, and the substance was thin. Oddly enough, my favorite episode focused on my least favorite character, the frantically annoying Radical Edward. For one episode, her random antics made sense, and I liked that.

Aside from the great music, the only thing that I really appreciated about Cowboy Bebop was that it was the obvious inspiration for Firefly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scrumpyjack

More
25 Mar 2015 14:51 #199955 by Frohike
On the subject of anime, look into Mushi-Shi if you get the chance.

To me, it enters the same uncanny-sublime space that Princess Mononoke does with the Forest Spirit scenes and also the handling of extra-human/natural forces that are parasitic but also symbiotic. It's definitely worth checking out.

www.iterationsofcid.net/2009/06/on-sublime.html

More
25 Mar 2015 16:44 #199958 by Michael Barnes
WOW. Thanks for that recommendation, Frohike. I just watched the first episode, that was absolutely lovely. It's kind of a cross between Kwaidan, traditional fairy folklore, and Hellblazer. I think I might be buying that DVD set too.

More
26 Mar 2015 14:09 - 26 Mar 2015 14:10 #199985 by ZMan

Michael Barnes wrote: WOW. Thanks for that recommendation, Frohike. I just watched the first episode, that was absolutely lovely. It's kind of a cross between Kwaidan, traditional fairy folklore, and Hellblazer. I think I might be buying that DVD set too.

Yeah I will have to check it out as well.

Found the site Crunchyroll (well I knew about it I just never visited it) and I might have to subscribe. Not sure yet. It has stuff Netflix does not.

also, gotta give a shout out to Sword Art Online - the first half of the series. Very cool concept and I thought well done. Basically, all these players are trapped in a virtual MMO and if you die within this world you die in real life (set in the future, you have these special virtual headgear - that were rigged to kill you when you die in-game). Object: get to the top level and defeat the main boss. It is wonderful to see how societies form within the MMO as they see no way out but to survive until someone clears the last level.

And getting back to Crunchyroll, I just saw they have Sword Art Online 2 and I saw the first episode and I would love to see more.
Last edit: 26 Mar 2015 14:10 by ZMan.

More
26 Mar 2015 20:12 - 26 Mar 2015 20:25 #199995 by Frohike
Crunchyroll has a habit of randomly phasing out seasons of a show that I'm still in the (slow) process of watching, but they're pretty good.

By the way, it looks like there's a second season of Mushi-Shi that slipped under my radar:

anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=10384

It doesn't look like it's available through US distribution yet. I'll probably just watch the fansubs via bakabt or wherever until I can buy it.

Edit: I would also recommend checking out Monster, though it's a long series (74 eps) so it requires some time investment. I'm not sure how readily available it is through legit channels any more.

anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=1539
Last edit: 26 Mar 2015 20:25 by Frohike.

More
26 Mar 2015 22:30 #200001 by ZMan
Friend of mine just dropped off 6 volumes of cowboy bebeop dvds and the movie. Still gonna finish full metal but bebop will definitely be next.
Then mushishi and sword art online 2.

In a perfect world.

But I'll get through what I can.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds