October 09, 2023
2450 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2652 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Monkey Kingdom - Barney's Incorrect Five Second Reviews

More
03 May 2015 18:01 #201847 by Black Barney

Brought my four year old, Emily, to the movies today and thought that one of these DisneyNature movies could fit the bill, rated G and all. Turned out to be a pretty enjoyable 90 minutes. 

Tina Fey actually does a pretty good entertaining job narrating the whole thing as you follow a small family of monkeys dealing with social structure and the usual jungle stuff in Sri Lanka. 

Some beautiful visuals and I think monkeys playing with a dog is probably worth the price of admission alone. I'm sure Justin Beiber would love this movie.

Had my phone in the drink holder in case of any emergency texts and at one point Emily wanted to snuggle so without thinking, I just lifted the arm super fast so she could squeeze in and it launched my phone back like a middle ages contraption up towards the back wall where it smashed and fell down glass-first, totally shattering the display and now it doesn't work. Those damn monkeys!

I think the only problem I had was that the monkeys you are following are being narrated as the 'good guys' and the other monkey group are the 'bad guys.' But really they're the same, so what's the difference when one ejects the other from their home. It's nature. 

Heart rating: 4.5 stars

Brain rating: 3.5 stars

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2015 11:52 #201848 by Green Lantern
Emergency texts do not exist in this dojo! Karma is a bitch, Barney. Sorry to hear you smashed your phone but damn man, put it in your pocket in the theater. Don't be one of those idiots glaring the phone over text messages during a movie. Besides, what's a phone compared to a hug from the daughter unit?

Sounds like this movie might be worth checking out with the family so thanks for the scoop, sir. How did your 4 year old handle it?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
04 May 2015 12:06 - 04 May 2015 12:14 #201849 by Black Barney
She was pretty engaged in the first half and then started to drift a bit. I kept a close eye on her when the monitor lizard showed up, no more nightmares please, but she was fine.

She actually really responded to one part of the film that totally impressed me. At one point, the monkeys are looking for food in this small pond. They start diving in and going underwater to find lilly blooms or something. Emily says out loud in her tweety bird voice, "I dint know monkeys cud swim underwatah!" and then 2 seconds after she says it the narrator says, "I bet you didn't know monkeys could swim underwater!" It was eerie.

I keep the phone pretty hidden and hunch over it, no one can see a thing. If there's anyone in my row or the row behind me, I keep it in the pocket. Most of the time I sit in the top row so I can text if I have to without bothering anyone (obviously only if no one is in top row with me). But yeah, it feels like Alama Drafthouse-level karmic retribution. Now i gotta drop over a hundred bucks to upgrade to a z30 BlackBerry which I don't think I want.

And yeah, her sitting in my lap was like 100x better.

Anyway, it's a decent documentary. Emily was way more engaged and blown away by SONG OF THE SEA which I reviewed earlier this year. After that movie ends she belts out in a packed theatre, "I WANNA SEE IT AGIN!"
Last edit: 04 May 2015 12:14 by Black Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Green Lantern

More
04 May 2015 13:22 #201852 by stoic
Sounds like you went ape over that movie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds