October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Level 7 Invasion in Review

More
27 May 2015 08:47 #203038 by wadenels

The 10-year-old in me would love it.

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 May 2015 15:17 #203039 by Egg Shen
Replied by Egg Shen on topic Level 7 Invasion in Review
Great review of game that was never on my radar! Feel free to do some more.

More
29 May 2015 15:43 - 29 May 2015 15:51 #203127 by mikecl
Replied by mikecl on topic Level 7 Invasion in Review
I've seen several video play-throughs of each game in this series and this and Omegal Protocol are definitely on my radar. I'd probably get Omega Protocol first though because I rarely have time for the epic games in my collection as it stands, let alone adding to them. Great review Wade. Makes me want to get it again.

How many players were you using? And how would you change the invade-overflow-rule and the every-player-chip-in funding part of the game?
Last edit: 29 May 2015 15:51 by mikecl.

More
29 May 2015 17:03 - 29 May 2015 17:03 #203140 by wadenels
Replied by wadenels on topic Level 7 Invasion in Review

mikecl wrote: I've seen several video play-throughs of each game in this series and this and Omegal Protocol are definitely on my radar. I'd probably get Omega Protocol first though because I rarely have time for the epic games in my collection as it stands, let alone adding to them.

I really like Omega Protocol. I've bought and sold several overlord tactical dungeon crawl style games and for me Omega Protocol is a keeper. My wife likes them both about the same, but gives a slight edge to Invasion due to it being (semi)cooperative.

mikecl wrote: How many players were you using? And how would you change the invade-overflow-rule and the every-player-chip-in funding part of the game?

I've played a few times with 2 and 4. There's always 5 coalitions in play so somebody needs to control multiple if you have less than five players. There's no guidelines in the rulebook to determine how multiple coalition pairing should work. For that I'd recommend a player with multiple coalitions should have all his coalitions in the northern or in the southern hemisphere. Africa and South America produce similar resources as their income that they will want to trade with Asia, Europe, and North America. If you gave a player Africa and North America, for example, he could just spend the whole game trading with himself and that's a bit lame.

Making the game fully cooperative, as in everyone loses if a single coalition falls, will make the game more difficult and desperate. We played our last game that way and there was more tension and working together knowing the fall of a single coalition would lose us the game. That really depends on your group though. For 2 players, with one controlling the northern and one controlling the southern hemisphere coalitions, it probably works better and makes the game shorter to play the game's normal semi-coop win/loss rules.

Either way, playing the game with two players controlling all five coalitions works pretty well. The only downside is that when you're learning the game it can be a bit slow, both due to having to manage multiple coalitions and having to keep track of their separate techs and modifiers.

For Invader overflow I'd go with "Move 1 Invader if the territory's defense value is exceeded by 1. Move 2 Invaders if the territory's defense value is exceeded by more." If that's not exciting enough then up the max to 3, but I'd start with 2. Move one Invader before the other, because the movement of the first one may change the destination of the 2nd one.

For the Cronos project I'd just make the country that's hosting Dr. Cronos pay their Cronos Project card in full. Funding the Cronos Project happens during a phase where every coalition gets one trade, so the funding coalition would get exactly one trade to make that happen. It also forces some more planning as the coalition funding their part of the Cronos Project would likely have less resources available for buying units and upgrading their own techs. The final Cronos Project Card doesn't belong to a single coalition, so I'd let everyone chip in on that one in the last round. This is how we've played every game after our first game. It's just more interesting that way, and it puts a higher premium on the ability to trade.
Last edit: 29 May 2015 17:03 by wadenels.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mikecl

More
29 May 2015 17:17 - 29 May 2015 17:17 #203141 by mikecl
Replied by mikecl on topic Level 7 Invasion in Review

wadenels wrote: I've seen several video play-throughs of each game in this series and this and Omegal Protocol are definitely on my radar. I'd probably get Omega Protocol first though because I rarely have time for the epic games in my collection as it stands, let alone adding to them.

Yep mine as well. She's not big on conflict either, and prefers co-ops although she did like Claustrophobia. Thanks Wade. They seem like good suggestions. I'm copy/pasting them to my games folder in case I wind up getting it.
Last edit: 29 May 2015 17:17 by mikecl.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds