October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

F2Z Entertainment announces the acquisition of Plaid Hat Games

More
29 Jul 2015 13:32 #207742 by ubarose

Rigaud, Québec, Canada (July 29, 2015) – F2Z Entertaiment, Canadian game publisher of the brands Filosofia, Z-Man Games and Pretzel Games, announces today the acquisition of American publisher Plaid Hat Games. The new entity, now operating under the name F2Z USA Corp., will be operating out of Dallas, Texas.

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2015 12:02 #207458 by daveroswell
boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/44415/plaid-h...d&utm_medium=twitter

It looks like F2Z is buying up game publishers and becoming quite a company. Also, delving more and more into game apps and French versions of games.

More
30 Jul 2015 12:08 #207459 by Ken B.
Given how far south Z-Man went in terms of Quality Control and Customer Service after getting bought out, I'm not optimistic about this at all.

Plus I'm really not keen on the conglomeration of all of our favorite game companies. We're reaching Shadowrun-esque levels of a handful of "megacorps" running the entire industry.

I've always really liked Plaid Hat Games. I hope this turns out well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, daveroswell, ChristopherMD, DeletedUser, lj1983, Frohike

More
30 Jul 2015 15:48 #207500 by daveroswell

Ken B. wrote: Given how far south Z-Man went in terms of Quality Control and Customer Service after getting bought out, I'm not optimistic about this at all.

Plus I'm really not keen on the conglomeration of all of our favorite game companies. We're reaching Shadowrun-esque levels of a handful of "megacorps" running the entire industry.

I've always really liked Plaid Hat Games. I hope this turns out well.

I loved watching Zev work when Z Man was his company alone. Now I feel game designers have to go through a "review committee" when going to any publisher under a large umbrella game publisher. I also hope the Plaid Hat deal works out for game players. I'm sure it worked out fine for Colby and Co.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
30 Jul 2015 18:19 #207512 by Michael Barnes
Well, this is definitely a win for Colby Dauch and the gang. The next time you see him, he will probably be wearing a solid gold plaid hat. Good for those guys.

Consolidation is definitely a trend right now in the industry, and frankly it's a smart trend. Because- here we go- the dispersal of revenue between smaller companies versus Kickstarter is more or less requiring this to happen in order for traditional publishers to compete with the amount of money that people are blindly throwing at junk vaporware projects. I've spoken with industry people about Kickstarter in the past and I've head the same thing from them all- "where were all of these people spending this kind of money five, ten years ago?"

More
30 Jul 2015 19:29 #207516 by daveroswell

Michael Barnes wrote: Well, this is definitely a win for Colby Dauch and the gang. The next time you see him, he will probably be wearing a solid gold plaid hat. Good for those guys.

Consolidation is definitely a trend right now in the industry, and frankly it's a smart trend. Because- here we go- the dispersal of revenue between smaller companies versus Kickstarter is more or less requiring this to happen in order for traditional publishers to compete with the amount of money that people are blindly throwing at junk vaporware projects. I've spoken with industry people about Kickstarter in the past and I've head the same thing from them all- "where were all of these people spending this kind of money five, ten years ago?"

Question: Does consolidation of game companies increase the vetting time of worthy independent projects? I hope quality increases from the consolidated companies. I just see worthwhile projects potentially going the kickstarter route because potential designers might get tired of waiting.

More
04 Aug 2015 13:18 #207940 by ZMan
There shouldn't be any negative changes to this deal: in fact, it will increase Plaid Hat's distribution. Not only that, Colby now has the freedom to concentrate on his creativity and forget the day-to-day business administrative stuff...kinda like what I did. So you might be seeing even more and/or even better games.

I am excited by this acquisition.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, ChristopherMD

More
04 Aug 2015 14:36 #207944 by Ken B.

ZMan wrote: There shouldn't be any negative changes to this deal: in fact, it will increase Plaid Hat's distribution. Not only that, Colby now has the freedom to concentrate on his creativity and forget the day-to-day business administrative stuff...kinda like what I did. So you might be seeing even more and/or even better games.

I am excited by this acquisition.

I hope you're right, Zev. I think you know that both Z-Man and Plaid Hat both have a sizable cheerleader section here. There was a really rough patch during those initial F2F/Z-Man days and it looks like they are shaking out some of the issues they had with customer service for a long while.

Some of that were us being spoiled as shit because if we had a bad part, we used to email Zev directly, and bam, he's hooking you up.

Hopefully they take the lessons they learned through that and make sure that Plaid Hat doesn't suffer the same rough transition.

I'll agree, this is fantastic news for Colby. Starting up a game company and have it big enough to get gobbled up by a much bigger company, for a nice sum of cash--that's living the dream, right?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
05 Aug 2015 11:03 #208017 by Columbob
Filosofia were already doing Summoner Wars in French, so this sorta makes sense.

Regarding customer service, a couple months ago I emailed them for a Z-Man part and got it the very next day! Ok, so I live just a 1.5 h drive from their warehouse and offices, but still, I was pleasantly surprised.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ken B.

More
05 Aug 2015 11:57 #208028 by Ken B.

Columbob wrote: Filosofia were already doing Summoner Wars in French, so this sorta makes sense.

Regarding customer service, a couple months ago I emailed them for a Z-Man part and got it the very next day! Ok, so I live just a 1.5 h drive from their warehouse and offices, but still, I was pleasantly surprised.

That is awesome news! And that eases my mind a lot.

I'm still not crazy about our favorite companies getting gobbled up into a handful of big ones, but if the change is transparent to us, that's the big thing.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.446 seconds