October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

WizKids announces Star Trek: Frontiers Board Game, a new spin on Mage Knight

More
14 Aug 2015 10:38 #208511 by Michael Barnes
Wizkids says this is a thing that will happen. Awesome?

WizKids is pleased to announce the upcoming release of Star Trek: Frontiers. Designed by Andrew Parks, Star Trek: Frontiers puts a new spin on the bestselling board game, Mage Knight by Vlaada Chvatil.

Star Trek: Frontiers is designed for 1 to 4 players with multiple competitive, cooperative and solo scenarios. Players will command their ships, recruit new crew members, earn experience points, and use their skills to confront the challenges of the Star Trek Universe.

Featuring the Venture Tile System first introduced in the award-winning game, Mage Knight, which allows players to have a unique experience on a randomly built Space Map each gameplay.
The following user(s) said Thank You: derekjinx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Aug 2015 10:46 #208513 by derekjinx
Replied by derekjinx on topic Star Mage Knight Trek
Will it have broken ships or warped tiles or tokens different sizes or cards too thin? The final frontier for WizKids is finding a decent printer in China.
Seriously its an auto-buy for me and it shouldn't be because of all the quality issues of these products. However, Mage Knight is the game I've played the most in the last 3 years and the solo experience is excellent!

Every time I try to get out, their plastic bits keep pulling me back in.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, Frohike

More
14 Aug 2015 10:58 #208515 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Star Mage Knight Trek
I have only scratched the surface of Mage Knight. I love that game but it's hard to find time for it. That said, I still want the new expansion, even with the component complaints.

More
14 Aug 2015 11:08 #208517 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Star Mage Knight Trek
Its kind of astonishing how crappy WhizKids component quality can be given how good the games can be. The latest Mage Knight expansion has monster tiles that are slightly different sizes than the base sets. WTF ? Why not use the same counter die ? Probably a different vendor or some shit. The Dice Masters quality does seem to be improving at least, even if supply is still spotty.

Yeah I'll buy this, even if I've barely played Mage Knight

More
14 Aug 2015 11:12 #208519 by Grudunza
Replied by Grudunza on topic Star Mage Knight Trek
Probably an auto-buy, regardless, but much as I love MK and ST, I hope it's at least a little different from MK. I don't need a reskin. But Andrew Parks did a great job making ST Attack Wing different enough from X-Wing, so here's hoping...

More
14 Aug 2015 11:16 #208521 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Star Mage Knight Trek

Michael Barnes wrote: Wizkids says this is a thing that will happen. Awesome?

WizKids is pleased to announce the upcoming release of Star Trek: Frontiers. Designed by Andrew Parks, Star Trek: Frontiers puts a new spin on the bestselling board game, Mage Knight by Vlaada Chvatil.

Star Trek: Frontiers is designed for 1 to 4 players with multiple competitive, cooperative and solo scenarios. Players will command their ships, recruit new crew members, earn experience points, and use their skills to confront the challenges of the Star Trek Universe.

Featuring the Venture Tile System first introduced in the award-winning game, Mage Knight, which allows players to have a unique experience on a randomly built Space Map each gameplay.

Wow. Ok. I'll try to avoid this but will probably be unable to.

More
14 Aug 2015 11:37 #208523 by Grudunza
Replied by Grudunza on topic Star Mage Knight Trek
Also, much as I love MK exactly as it is, it wouldn't hurt if this version could simplify some of the combat details... I still have to check all the resistances and such every time I play MK. Would probably help the theme/setting pay-off its accessibility better, too. I don't want Mage Knight Lite, but a little bit lighter would be great for this property.

More
14 Aug 2015 11:47 #208524 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Star Mage Knight Trek
Sounds like an exciting idea, but I'm more than a little sick of chintzy cards, broken minis, thin and warping tiles, and tokens where the print actually rubs off after only a couple of plays. For me, Wizkids has become synonymous with "Great licenses, shit quality."

Can we not go ahead and turn this over fully to the GF9 guys yet? I thought from their announcement that they were getting this license permanently.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, Frohike, Colorcrayons

More
14 Aug 2015 11:51 #208525 by Egg Shen
Replied by Egg Shen on topic Star Mage Knight Trek
This is an auto-buy for me in all likelihood. I've passed on Mage Knight since I already own like 6 fantasy adventure systems. Putting the Trek license on this will make it different enough that I'll probably jump onboard. Plus I can start fresh...Mage Knight has a few expansions out which has also made me hesistent about picking it up.

What's the deal with all of the Trek games coming out lately?

More
14 Aug 2015 12:52 #208530 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, I got this press release this morning and I was just like "yep, I'll have one of those please".

The Trek license holders must be aggressively marketing it or something...there's this, the dice game over at Mayfair (which also sounds really good) and then whatever awesome thing the GF9 boys come up with. I think the success of Attack Wing might have emboldened them...because really, that was the only really good Trek game in a long time, and one of the only ones to really have any kind of traction since...ever.

WK's legacy is definitely one of chintzy, subpar product...but I have yet to have any of the more severe issues with the stuff I've gotten from them. Touch wood.

More
14 Aug 2015 13:01 #208533 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Star Mage Knight Trek
So many auto-buys. I don't blame Wizkids for not giving a shit about quality. They'll sell out and make a bigger profit from cheaping out on quality. Gamers will buy anything if its nostalgia based.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample

More
14 Aug 2015 13:20 #208535 by engineer Al
Replied by engineer Al on topic Star Mage Knight Trek
Wow. I don't know what to think. I will probably wait to see what GF9 does with Trek before jumping on board with anything from WK. The Mayfair Trek dice game was fun, and we will probably pick it up, but it doesn't scratch that Star Trek Adventure itch at all. If GF9 can do Trek the way they did Firefly then they will probably make my FAVORITE GAME OF ALL TIME!

More
14 Aug 2015 13:53 #208536 by Hex Sinister
Replied by Hex Sinister on topic Star Mage Knight Trek
I dunno about this. Trek deserves better than another cut and paste from PizzKidz.

More
14 Aug 2015 14:07 #208537 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Star Mage Knight Trek
wizkidsgames.com/blog/2015/08/14/star-tr...g-soon-from-wizkids/

Kirk and Vlaada together is a dream come true.

More
14 Aug 2015 14:09 #208538 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Star Mage Knight Trek
I'm surprised people actually think the Trek version of X-Wing is good. They didn't include firing arcs or dials into the equation of points cost on models, which is public knowledge. Everything I've read about the game is that the tournament scene is a bit of a mess and you have to run crazy cross-faction lists to compete, or play the Borg.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.258 seconds