October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

X-Wing Wave 7 Review

More
07 Oct 2015 12:13 #212074 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic X-Wing Wave 7 Review
The cards make the older, shitty ships more viable, but they're packaged with another shitty (or samey) ship. That's my beef. To be honest, I don't really give a shit in any event; I jumped off the X-Wing wagon just after the Falcon's wave.

I'm just eternally irritated that they can't make a game, put out a bunch of waves, then just produce cards, or new mechanics without requiring 50$ a wave's investment.

It's just irritiating.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Oct 2015 12:17 - 07 Oct 2015 12:18 #212075 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic X-Wing Wave 7 Review

SuperflyTNT wrote: No, I really don't need 7 waves' (28?) different ship models to have fun with a game like this. It's a money pit to begin with, one I partook in for far too long.

No, you don't need seven waves, but I get why people do it. I understand that desire. I also completely get why FFG would do this too. The money is the biggest reason obviously but what company doesn't want to make money? Criticizing them for that is silly. I bet a lot of the people over at FFG also have a blast making new ships and coming up with cards, paint schemes, crew and abilities. I think it would be difficult to stop once you get in there and there are probably a dozen designers in their office that all want to make a ship or two. So while they do indeed want money there is absolutely no reason to assume there isn't still love in these designs, there is no reason to assume that it's a heartless cash grab.

I have to admit that when it first came out I was excited at the prospect of new ships that they designed themselves... I still am to some degree. But I gave up on purchasing anything for this game after the first non trilogy ship was released. I think that was the Moldy Crow (HWK-290?) which I did buy but it was the only non original series ship I've ever bought for X-Wing. Basically I own everything from the original series, including the two big ships for 'cinematic' play. I love the game just like that. I don't need the third faction because really this type of game is best with two or four. Which is how we play it. It's a perfect game with just those initial ships and lets you have a ton of fun. If I wanted more there is more there to be had which is a nice option but one I won't be indulging in because I don't see any reason to go further. I got into this to play with Star Wars ships.. not cool looking ships I don't recognize. But in no way will I begrudge those who do or FFG for supplying it to them. It's a good business model.

Personally though, the only thing that appeals to me right now would be a designer series scenario book like they did for ToI and Descent. I don't know why that idea died so fast because it's one of the best things they've ever done and adds tons of life to a game at very little cost.
Last edit: 07 Oct 2015 12:18 by OldHippy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob, SuperflyPete

More
07 Oct 2015 12:43 - 07 Oct 2015 12:57 #212078 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic X-Wing Wave 7 Review
Books don't have the same ROI. Both sides of the sale have to be happy for business to occur.

There's people out there buying this stuff, so FFG is going to keep making it. You have to decide if you're a collector or a player.

I just dropped two bills on airplanes, so I can't exactly judge anyone on this subject at the moment.
Last edit: 07 Oct 2015 12:57 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, SuperflyPete

More
07 Oct 2015 13:11 #212082 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic X-Wing Wave 7 Review
However, if I understand correctly, there are x-wing ships that have cards impacting other ships. Players may feel the need to buy a ship they may not want, just to get a card they do.

WoW/WoG planes aren't packaged with this issue.

More
07 Oct 2015 13:20 #212084 by VonTush
Replied by VonTush on topic X-Wing Wave 7 Review
So ignore the minis if you want.

For many years I managed to play a half dozen different miniature games without needing cards to tell me what upgrades did. All I needed as a pen and paper to write down what I wanted to outfit minis with and a reference book telling me what those did. Today you can pop open any squad builder and have that reference book at your fingertips. If your not concerned over the minis then a pen and paper will be the only monetary investment you'll ever need again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: edulis

More
07 Oct 2015 13:29 #212085 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic X-Wing Wave 7 Review
That's correct. The most extreme example is the new Imperial epic ship, the Raider. It comes with a TIE Advanced and several cards that enhance that ship, widely considered to be the worst in the game. So, if you already own one or more TIE Advanceds, you have to invest another $100 for a ship designed for a format distinct from the regular game (Epic play) in order to make your 3-year-old $15 investment actually usable in the game. Yeah... no. Not doing that.

Incidentally, in addition to the unwillingness to further engage in the collectible model (the aforementioned Raider example is an extreme; most of the time you don't have to go that far off the cliff to enjoy your ships, but I've had enough), I've discovered I don't have the time or the dedication to keep up with the game, so I'm selling my collection. IIRC, it adds up like this:
2 copies of the base game
1 X-Wing
2 Y-Wings
2 A-Wings
2 B-Wings
Rebel Aces
2 E-Wings
1 HWK-290
2 Z-95s
1 Falcon
1 YT-2400
Rebel Transport (with additional X-Wing.)
3 TIE Fighters
1 TIE Advanced
2 TIE Interceptors
Imperial Aces
3 TIE Bombers
2 TIE Defenders
2 TIE Phantoms
1 Lambda Shuttle
1 Slave 1
1 VT-49 Decimator
Feel free to PM me about prices, etc. I'd like to group it into as large of shipments as possible. I also have a nice Hubble picture playmat.
/threadjack.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
07 Oct 2015 13:58 #212089 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic X-Wing Wave 7 Review

Jackwraith wrote: That's correct. The most extreme example is the new Imperial epic ship, the Raider. It comes with a TIE Advanced and several cards that enhance that ship, widely considered to be the worst in the game. So, if you already own one or more TIE Advanceds, you have to invest another $100 for a ship designed for a format distinct from the regular game (Epic play) in order to make your 3-year-old $15 investment actually usable in the game.

Or make a copy of the card.

More
07 Oct 2015 14:20 #212092 by VonTush
Insider tip to save you hundreds, nay thousands of dollars!
When you go to print from this builder, select "Full" under view and it prints out the entire text of the card.
xwing-builder.co.uk/build

Plus you get the luxury of not having to pull out and fuss with cards anymore...Unless those color images and flavor text really sets to XWing gaming mood.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, SuperflyPete

More
07 Oct 2015 15:13 #212102 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic X-Wing Wave 7 Review

When you go to print from this builder, select "Full" under view and it prints out the entire text of the card.

This. Unless you're going to play in competitive tournament play, there's no need to get ships just for the cards. Hell, you can even proxy if you want to find out how a ship flies before you buy. Everything, even the maneuver dials, are public domain.

I am concerned about how far they're stretching this. But only because I'm worried they won't be able to keep it balanced and interesting. It's already starting to happen: more and more ships look like duplicates of one another, or get superseded by a slightly different model.

I thought Scum & Villainy might be the straw that breaks the camel's back, but it's so fun and thematic that it works. Now I'm thinking they should close after wave 8. The new Force Awakens set, however, suggests they're going to carry on and that's alarming.

More
07 Oct 2015 15:39 #212108 by VonTush
Eh...Nothing to be worried about.
The only limit is going to be the imagination on this. Even if a ship winds up with similar stats and movement dials the upgrade slots, actions and pilot skills can make it fly completely different and fill a different role.

The dirty secret is the this is a miniatures game and a miniatures game needs to be fluid, dynamic, reactive and proactive all at the same time. Otherwise, when a person or group stops buying, but continues to play favorite and patterns will develop...A meta within the group. As a collective a meta develops as well and this last wave shakes up the old meta and old stuff that may have been shelved due to the current meta state may find a role with new stuff or previously dominant lists may no longer be that.

Truth is the game isn't balanced, never has and never will be...That's what shapes the meta. It's just a matter of how good is the company at making predictions and addressing what has come before, in other words how well can they disguise the imbalances.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
07 Oct 2015 15:53 #212112 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic X-Wing Wave 7 Review
I didn't know about that builder thing...now that is a hot tip. Speaking as somebody with no qualms about using proxies...I'm going to proxy the hell out of everything now.

Gosh, I gotta call up my friends that are all in on X-Wing for a game...I've got a couple that have EVERYTHING to stupid degrees, to the point where I almost thought about selling my lot and just using theirs. But I have this pipe dream that River and maybe Scarlett will be wanting to play sometime in the next three our four years. But all of this talk is making me want to play it TONIGHT.

I forgot that FFG created the Raider...but that's a pretty cool ship, so job well done.

More
07 Oct 2015 15:57 #212114 by Disgustipater
Replied by Disgustipater on topic X-Wing Wave 7 Review

sagrilarus wrote: Or make a copy of the card.

Exactly. Images for every card are available online. $0.

More
07 Oct 2015 16:03 #212116 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic X-Wing Wave 7 Review
I might take a small photograph of each ship and affix it to the bases.

More
08 Oct 2015 08:59 #212142 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic X-Wing Wave 7 Review
Really, all we need is a 30$ investment in Litko flight stands, acrylic measuring stick, and some copy paper, and you have some bootleg X-Wing.

You heard it here at the Fortress first, folks.

More
08 Oct 2015 09:33 #212146 by Disgustipater
Replied by Disgustipater on topic X-Wing Wave 7 Review
I plan on using these templates for the TIE Fighter pilot tokens in the Assault Carrier:

Print them out on adhesive backed paper and stick them on some chipboard.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds