October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Barnes on Games- Apex Theropod in Review, Silver Tower, Cuba Libre, 51st State Master Set

More
02 Jun 2016 18:05 #228541 by Michael Barnes
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob, Wetworks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jun 2016 23:41 - 02 Jun 2016 23:41 #228542 by Gary Sax
Get that thing that just went on BGG store to make playing Food Chain Magnate much easier. Or make your own if you're feeling it.

I can't tell if the unique "achievements" in Food Chain are good design or bad design.
Last edit: 02 Jun 2016 23:41 by Gary Sax.

More
03 Jun 2016 01:01 - 03 Jun 2016 01:15 #228549 by ThirstyMan
I'm pre booking the Dr Who game in anticipation of you getting rid of it...

I'm a huge fan boy of COIN and I enjoy all of them. I've played Andean Abyss with some of our own Fatties via email and VASSAL. It was great, particularly with the trash talk. Fire in the Lake is a crowning achievement IMHO. I have Liberty or Death and Falling Skies but haven't tried them yet. There's a two player one coming out. Can't remember on what war. Currently soloing A Distant Plain (Aghanistan Gov, US Military, Taliban and Warlords) and having a good think on how to stymie the US Military while playing the Afghan Government. Very good indeed.

Labyrinth is not a COIN game in case you were wondering.
Last edit: 03 Jun 2016 01:15 by ThirstyMan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brewmiester, Frohike

More
03 Jun 2016 15:01 #228577 by Not Sure
Fan of the COIN series here as well (although I've skipped a lot of them)

I was in that Andean Abyss game, and it was great fun. (I even blundered my way into a win...)

I bought it for the long-wait shelf based on that, and Fire in the Lake as well. We should get a F:AT game of _that_ going.

I keep hoping I'll scrounge up the group to play those in person, but it keeps failing to happen. They're not rocket science, or even more complicated than a heavy Euro, but the themes can be a hard sell to sheep-pushers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brewmiester

More
03 Jun 2016 15:32 #228578 by Michael Barnes
Right, Labyrinth is much more of a "classical" CDG...I still like it quite a lot, but now this COIN thing seems to be the next step.

I _really_ like the common card in play with the prioritized choice on it...and how what you leave for someone else to do is such a huge strategic concern. When I was working through the tutorial, my mind was just reeling at the potential. It's just brilliant and vast. I'm not really sure if I want to go into the more complex ones just yet, even though Fire in the Lake is the most interesting to me subject matter-wise.

I would be willing to bet that MOST games of COIN titles are played online. In fact, I would go so far as to say that online play is one of the things that has enabled games like that to stay current and relevant. I can't imagine any of my friends really digging in to play it. I've got two that I think _may_ if I send them PDFs of the rules, but I doubt they will want to play it every Sunday for two months like I'd really like to.

Don't know if Doctor Who is going anywhere, Andy...it doesn't look very good...but it's the only card game I have that has The Black Guardian and Ice Warriors. And it's small and cheap, which sort of undercuts my usual incentives to ditch. My son saw it and said "Daddy, why are you hiding that Doctor Who card game from me?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
03 Jun 2016 16:43 #228579 by Shellhead
Silver Tower looks interesting, but the miniatures make it really expensive and I would probably never play it enough to justify the time spent painting those minis. I really wish that there was an option to buy the game with cardboard standees with nice art on them.

More
03 Jun 2016 16:51 #228580 by DukeofChutney
Interesting to here that Warhammer Quest is good, Tzeentch is pretty cool. GW's idea of Chaos was more or less lifted from Moorcock so what you way makes sense. I look forward to the review.

I've not played Cuba Libre, but I have played Andean Abyss, A Distant Plain and Fire in the Lake. I really liked Fire in the Lake two player but would probably take Andean Abyss over a Distant Plain. One things CDGs do having going for them is they are much more varied than the COIN games. The coin games feel a very similar comparatively.

More
03 Jun 2016 17:04 #228582 by Michael Barnes
I don't know if it's still on there, but someone on BGG in the Silver Tower forums linked to some standups they made- they looked pretty good, just a couple of PDF downloads. And you can probably buy the game without figures for 1/3 to 1/4 of the price on ebay.

The game really captures the themes and concepts of Tzeentch- lots of psychedelic/psychotic goings-on, mutable and ever-changing dungeons...it has the feeling that you are going through these portals into entirely different rooms that aren't necessarily "adjacent", so to speak. And then shit just pops up out of nowhere.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax, DukeofChutney

More
04 Jun 2016 09:53 - 04 Jun 2016 09:56 #228593 by Cranberries
DDAS?

Silver Tower sans minis for $38 shipped on EBay.
Last edit: 04 Jun 2016 09:56 by Cranberries.

More
19 Sep 2017 12:58 #254481 by Cranberries

ThirstyMan wrote: I'm pre booking the Dr Who game in anticipation of you getting rid of it...

*cough*

fortressat.com/forum/28-trade-forums/199...2th-doctor-expansion

More
19 Sep 2017 13:51 #254486 by ThirstyMan
That's a different game which I'm not really interested in. I ended up buying the card game but that miniatures game didn't excite me. Waiting on the GaleForce boardgame.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
19 Sep 2017 14:08 #254488 by Shellhead
Wasn't Apex Theropod that guy from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pat II

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.278 seconds