October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Descent: The Road to Legend App in Review

More
07 Jul 2016 14:29 #229815 by RobertB
Egg Shen wrote:

Why in Crom's name is the 2.0 stuff in the 1.0 box? Is the 1.0 stuff still in there too? Or did the guy just love the ol' coffin boxes with all his heart?

He's got the tiles and the tokens in some nice tackle boxes, but the tackle boxes need that room for the space.

I did the tutorial last night. It took me about three hours, but I was learning the game simultaneously. I liked it okay so far, but I'm holding off on my verdict until I do one of the non-tutorial quests. I will tell you that I wasn't impressed by the Descent 2.0 rulebook - there was a good bit of digging in there for some things.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2016 14:10 #229852 by Egg Shen

RobertB wrote:
I did the tutorial last night. It took me about three hours, but I was learning the game simultaneously. I liked it okay so far, but I'm holding off on my verdict until I do one of the non-tutorial quests. I will tell you that I wasn't impressed by the Descent 2.0 rulebook - there was a good bit of digging in there for some things.

Yeah it took me a few games to nail down the rules. Stuff like "spot" and some of the enemy AI could certainly be explained a little clearer. I read the rules a few times (they're thankfully pretty short) and played the tutorial twice. I did like that once the rules were internalized I almost never had to reference them again.

If you're playing solo I would suggest using at least 3 heroes. They've made a change to 2 heroes rules where they get a free fight action, but I would still rather just play with three heroes. At the very least just make sure you have at least one hero that can dish out tons of damage.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB

More
11 Jul 2016 17:42 - 11 Jul 2016 17:42 #229979 by RobertB
I finished one of the side quests this weekend, then I had to give the dining room table back. My take on it so far is that I enjoyed it, but I'm not sure if I'd get my money's worth out of Descent 2.0. I have a copy of Legend of Drizzt staring me in the face that has a boatload of quests that I have yet to play, and it hits the same notes as Descent + RtL does. I think 2.0 + RtL is better in a lot of ways, but I don't think it's $60 better than Drizzt. If I had a copy of Descent already, I'd love it.
Last edit: 11 Jul 2016 17:42 by RobertB. Reason: Typo

More
05 Oct 2016 13:33 #235564 by Egg Shen
So after FFG announced that SW: Imperial Assault would be getting a RtL style app I decided to sell my copy of Descent. I really like what the app did, but I'm a much bigger fan of SW than Terrinoth so off on the sell pile it went.

Just when you think you're out...FFG drags yer ass back in!!!

www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/9/30/delving-deep/

Like I mention in the review the best thing about the app is that it's alive. FFG is free to update and change it as they see fit. Well, it looks like they're making a pretty cool change/update in the Delving Deep campaign.

For those of you looking for randomized dungeons...here ya go. I was looking for something that was more of a one shot session, and yeah, this looks to fit the bill.

Essentially, you play a two hour session where it's broken down into six smaller segments. You can level up, gain new items/loot during one game and either quit, or do another one campaign style. Essentially this looks to bridge the game between 1E and 2E which for me is kind of what I've really wanted out of the game. I like how well the app handled the campaign, but I've also been dying for dungeon crawler where you level up/gain new items like you did in Descent 1E.

I'm not sure when this will be released...FFG just says "soon". My guess is that this is two months or sooner away. I'll definitely be diving back into the dungeon to check it out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13

More
05 Oct 2016 21:41 #235598 by Sevej
The thing I like most about delving deep is that the map is not totally random. They have a selection of small maps (15 regular and 5 boss just with the base game) and only use a subset of that each game (4 regular, 2 boss). That means it's not totally random like the DDAS game, but still offer a good deal of variations.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds