October 09, 2023
2296 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Pickomino Review

More
10 Aug 2016 07:00 #231756 by Egg Shen
Pickomino Review was created by Egg Shen

Have you ever looked in the mirror and asked yourself the really tough questions?  What does it all mean?  Why are we here?  Do I need a game about chickens eating BBQ worms?  

Read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Columbob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Aug 2016 19:21 - 10 Aug 2016 19:21 #231757 by trif
Replied by trif on topic Pickomino Review
I think the maths behind it also form the basis for Risk: Express / Art of War.

This has become a popular game amongst our lunch time group - mainly because I'm legendarily bad roller.
Last edit: 10 Aug 2016 19:21 by trif.

More
10 Aug 2016 21:34 #231771 by Egg Shen
Replied by Egg Shen on topic Pickomino Review

trif wrote: I think the maths behind it also form the basis for Risk: Express / Art of War.

Huh...I don't think I ever realized that.

And yes you're right. This one would make a terrific little lunch group time waster. It's so short and easy...but each turn is filled with excitement or fits of rage. I'm a big proponent of games that elicit emotions from players and Pickomino succeeds greatly in this regard!

Apparently there are expansions to Pickomino. Has anyone here ever dabbled with any of them? I've always been curious, but at the same time, cautious not to add to the successful formula of the base game.

More
10 Aug 2016 21:40 #231773 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Pickomino Review
I miss that time when games coming from Europe in particular has these kinds of WTF concepts. Like the first time I showed Bohnanza to people- "it's about bean farming". Table- "wtf?"

More
10 Aug 2016 22:52 #231782 by Egg Shen
Yup. Those batshit insane settings are so perfect at reeling in a table of unsuspecting players. They're definitely from a by-gone era. For a lunch time group or family game night I've always been able to quickly hook people with Pickomino, Lord of the Fries, Bohnanaza, Magical Athlete etc... Saying we're playing a game about a zombie fast food restaurant, chickens eating roasted worms, or bean farming oddly enough almost always piques people's interest. Sure they think you're fucking nuts and that you own weird ass games...but they're interested in finding out more about them. Hell, many of them hop on Amazon.com and purchase the game immediately afterwards. I know of 4 people that ended up Pickomino right after they played it. The game is just addictive as all get out.

More
11 Aug 2016 02:11 #231785 by birdman37
Replied by birdman37 on topic Pickomino Review
What's the correct syllable to stress when pronouncing this? Pick-OM-ino or Picko-MIN-o? Either way, you've just made a sale - I bought this on Amazon after reading this review. You're in the big leagues now, Egg - you should start soliciting games off publishers! ;)

(In all seriousness, thanks for the review - great read!)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Egg Shen

More
11 Aug 2016 04:01 #231786 by Jazzbeaux
Replied by Jazzbeaux on topic Pickomino Review
An excellent game that I have played many many times myself for the reasons you note in your review. However I recently discovered that there is an expansion!
heckmeck-extrawurm

No idea if its any good, indeed I tend to think it will break the simplicity of the base game. Has anyone tried it?

Sam

More
11 Aug 2016 09:40 #231797 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Pickomino Review
Sour Gummy Worms LOL

More
11 Aug 2016 10:36 #231802 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Pickomino Review
One of the great dice filler games. We've taken this on vacation many times, it's always a hit. Travels well too, you just stick the tiles and dice in a small ziploc and you're good to go. I've played it with all sorts of groups and it just works.

You will never know the pain of rolling four fives, keeping them, and not hitting a worm after. Sometimes those guys are little bastards.

More
12 Aug 2016 14:50 #231901 by Egg Shen

birdman37 wrote: What's the correct syllable to stress when pronouncing this? Pick-OM-ino or Picko-MIN-o? Either way, you've just made a sale - I bought this on Amazon after reading this review. You're in the big leagues now, Egg - you should start soliciting games off publishers! ;)

(In all seriousness, thanks for the review - great read!)

Ha! The pronunciation of the game is always a hotly debated topic among people I introduce it to. I've always said Pick-OM-ino...sort of like they made up a word for the sentence, "pick a domino". No clue if that is correct or not.

Thanks for the feedback...I appreciate it. Honestly, I wasn't sure how a review for a silly little dice game from "way back when" would go over with the F:AT crowd. Glad to know that people enjoyed it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, birdman37

More
21 Aug 2016 21:08 #232549 by birdman37
Replied by birdman37 on topic Pickomino Review
Package arrived today - yay! Looking forward to the next family getaway, should be fun. But by the stank, sweaty dice-bag of Nuffle, there's so much air in the damn box!

Might be time to get out the craft knife and glue...

More
21 Aug 2016 22:00 #232552 by Columbob
Replied by Columbob on topic Pickomino Review
Maybe one of those games that should be stored (sold?) in a little velvet baggie.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.257 seconds