October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2699 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Lo and Behold, Reveries of the Connected World - Barney's Incorrect Five Second Reviews

More
05 Aug 2016 15:13 #232617 by Black Barney

Very interesting documentary on the advent of the internet (not simply the worldwide web, which I keep mistaking as the internet). Often the quality of documentaries are very much determined by the personality of the director/producer. In this case, with Werner Herzog, we're very fortunate to have an extremely likeable person at the helm. You never see him but once in a while you get glimpses of his personality that lapse into the interviews and I find really bolsters this movie. The first few times he spoke, i was wondering what that creepy guy from Jack Reacher was doing in a documentary about the internet. 

The movie is divided into several chapters and let me tell you, as with most films broken up into short stories, the quality and interest of the various chapters is divergent. I literally fell asleep in some of the first two chapters, then woke up to get preached at why internet anonymity is inherently evil and the work of the devil. Luckily, the film really picks up after that and explores all sorts of nuance in how our civilization is extremely fragile since the reliance on the internet. You won't look at the Sun the same way after this. 

I also like how in a very careful way, the film sort of calls out Elon Musk for not focusing on what's important when exploring his Mars project. I like it when scientists speak. They are smrt.

Overall I'm very glad I saw it and would simply warn against watching this late at night, you need to be alert. 

Heart rating: 5 stars (no joke)

Brain rating: 4 stars (there's a bit of scape-goating going on. internet or no, addicts will still be addicts and jerks will be jerks).

The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Aug 2016 19:08 #232618 by Gregarius
Your Jack Reacher comment makes it sound like you weren't familiar with Herzog. I find that shocking, and hope I'm just misreading that. He's one of my favorite documentarians, and a pretty great maker of fictional films as well. If you haven't seen Grizzly Man, you need to.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this one. I love his investigations into human nature, because they always sound like incriminations.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
23 Aug 2016 08:57 #232642 by Black Barney
Yeah, he gets very accusatory, and rightfully so. Hope you see it, would love to hear other opinions on it.

Yeah, I wasn't familiar with this guy at all. I'm sure Schweig would have had a bird

More
23 Aug 2016 10:02 - 23 Aug 2016 10:03 #232648 by Gregarius
Wow, you're in for a treat as you discover Herzog.

Must sees:
Aguirre, the Wrath of God (fiction)
Grizzly Man (docu)

Great:
Nosferatu (remake)
Fitzcarraldo (fiction, but afterwards you have to watch Burden of Dreams, a docu about the making of Fitz-- you get to see Herzog & Kinski's madness up close.)
Cave of Forgotten Dreams (docu)

Worth watching:
Little Dieter Needs to Fly (docu)
Rescue Dawn (a narrative recreation of the story of Little Dieter Needs to Fly)
Encounters at the End of the World (docu)

I still need to see Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans.

EDIT: Actually, I'd probably put Fitzcarraldo & Burden of Dreams into the Must See category.
Last edit: 23 Aug 2016 10:03 by Gregarius.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
23 Aug 2016 10:14 #232650 by Black Barney
thanks!! The only one i saw of that was Rescue Dawn which I really liked.

I've heard great things about Encounters and Grizzly Man.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.327 seconds