October 09, 2023
2448 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2648 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Moonlight - Barney's Incorrect Five Second Reviews

More
11 Nov 2016 14:53 #238112 by Black Barney

I'm not sure where to even start with this one. There are so many scenes done in such a unique way that I haven't seen before. It's a tough movie to talk about since I went in not knowing a single thing other than the title, so I wouldn't want to spoil any plot surprises. 

It's weird that I saw this in the same year I saw Closet Monster because this is the perfected version of the other. 

It is almost as good as Boyhood and follows the same idea of a young man finding himself over various stages of his life (but this time with different actors). Speaking of which there are so many incredible performances, it's tough to single out specific ones. Alex Hibbert playing young Little is amazing, as are many others. 

Honestly guys, I think this is one of the very best movies of the year. I need someone else to see it to discuss the ending with me. I'm not sure I've ever yearned this badly for an epilogue before.

You know how Grand Theft Auto IV tried to offer some skin-deep insight into the modern-day African-American experience through Franklin? Well... Moonlight will take you 100 fathoms deeper, to put it lightly. You will feel it. 

Highly recommended. Get ready to be challenged. 

Heart rating: 5 stars (it just doesn't get better than this for moving you)

Brain rating: 4.5 stars

The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Nov 2016 17:05 #238113 by Vlad
Thanks for your review! How is the cinematography on this one, is it a theater must-see or can wait till DVD?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
11 Nov 2016 17:12 - 11 Nov 2016 17:13 #238115 by Black Barney
Ugh... I hate to say that you don't HAVE to see it on the big screen but it's true. This isn't Hell or High Water which needs the big screen. It's more that, do you want to put off seeing potentially the best movie of the year?

I picked seeing this over Arrival. That was a difficult decision.
Last edit: 11 Nov 2016 17:13 by Black Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad

More
11 Nov 2016 19:21 #238130 by Vlad
Your honesty is very appreciated here :)
This sounds like a typical movie I'd DVD or even cinema-watch with the hype of the Oscars OR catch up years later, wondering why on earth I was watching all the garbage I watched in 2016 instead of this. Just to name a few, this happened to me with Boyhood, Spotlight, The Room and The Wrestler... I only feel ashamed about The Wrestler.

More
12 Nov 2016 01:43 #238150 by Cranberries

This isn't Hell or High Water which needs the big screen

Oh crap, HoHW just left our budget theater. I kind of assumed it was character driven and not a real cinematography movie. Oh well.

More
12 Nov 2016 09:59 #238161 by Black Barney
Oh no!! Yeah, it’s gorgeous on the big screen, really beautiful.

More
02 Dec 2016 23:04 - 02 Dec 2016 23:19 #239701 by Grudunza
Just saw it. Barney, you're absolutely right about the unique imagery. The way that perspective and music and focus is used in some parts is brilliant and affecting. However, I only loved the first two acts and not the third.

The whole thing is verrrrrry slow paced, and for me that worked well enough in the first two parts, but really didn't in the third. Those first two acts had some real moments of poignance, but the third just kind of happened, and very slowly at that. I get that it was probably more real that way, but there is a point where very slow pacing in a movie is not giving you some kind of purpose, but just feels slow. Hard to say more without spoiling things. I was primed for something bigger to pay off emotionally in the third act, as it had at times earlier, but it just didn't for me, though the end was nice. In this case, I appreciated the destination of the third act, but not the journey.

On the whole, Boyhood was more interesting and meaningful, though this had its own very interesting nature and meaning, for the most part.
Last edit: 02 Dec 2016 23:19 by Grudunza.

More
02 Dec 2016 23:37 - 02 Dec 2016 23:42 #239702 by Black Barney
If Boyhood didn't exist, this movie would be absolutely insane. It's so easy to draw parallels.

Still, I think and hope it gets respect come Oscar. I agree with you Act III is weakest but that doesn't take away from how perfectly amazing those first acts are! It's still a crazy good film.

So glad you saw it!

So is Sing Street still your favourite so far? More than this?!
Last edit: 02 Dec 2016 23:42 by Black Barney.

More
03 Dec 2016 00:09 #239703 by Grudunza
Yeah, Sing Street and Captain Fantastic are fighting it out in my mind at the moment. Still some contenders coming up, though.

Much respect for Moonlight, but it didn't stick the landing.

More
04 Dec 2016 09:53 #239740 by Black Barney
I don't think I'm going to get to see cpt fantastic :( it's that good?

More
04 Dec 2016 13:53 #239759 by Grudunza
You didn't see my comments about it in the Movie thread a couple weeks ago? I LOVED it. Watched it twice in two days. A ton of deep resonance and relevance to me and my family. And that may be totally subjective. I know a lot of people who loved it, but some who hated it. My observation on the haters, though, is that they focused on the trees and not the forest. I don't want to get much more into that again (see the other thread).

Why can't you see it, though? Do you have Redbox in Canada? Should be there. Or on iTunes, etc.

More
04 Dec 2016 13:59 #239760 by Grudunza
Also, going back to Moonlight, it's an easy lock for some Oscar noms. I predict Best Picture, Best Director and supporting actors for Mahershala Ali and/or Andre Holland. I think the Director could win, and possibly one of the actors.

More
04 Dec 2016 14:27 - 04 Dec 2016 14:27 #239762 by Grudunza
By contrast, though I personally like them better, I don't expect Sing Street or Captain Fantastic to get Best Picture nods. Maaaaaaybe Captain Fantastic, though I doubt it. But I will be disappointed if one of the Sing Street songs (esp. "Drive It Like You Stole It") isn't nominated for Best Song, and I think Viggo Mortensen has a shot at a Best Actor nomination.
Last edit: 04 Dec 2016 14:27 by Grudunza.

More
04 Dec 2016 16:26 #239773 by Vlad
I liked Sing Street a lot.
Because it was like remembering my teenage years the way I wanted to remember them and not the way it actually happened.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza, Black Barney

More
16 Dec 2016 00:32 #240739 by Cranberries

Vlad wrote: I liked Sing Street a lot.
Because it was like remembering my teenage years the way I wanted to remember them and not the way it actually happened.

This. I make all kinds of references to great music from my childhood, but I'm listening to it retroactively, because at the time I just listened to crap.

This was a fun, joyous movie.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds