October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

When You Stop Giving A Damn

More
06 Feb 2018 21:19 - 07 Feb 2018 22:52 #263073 by Cranberries
I was depressed at what Space Hulk third edition sold for, but I made $98 for that thrifted copy of 1999 Acquire, which I sort of wish I had kept, but my kids will never play it. My kids are older and wedded to their phones, and that is just the way of the world.

I only have games I can't really sell (Thirteen days) or won't sell, that are undervalued (Duel of Ages II, in part due to Defanso's impassioned defense of it). I'm keeping Cosmic Eidex because it is so small and potentially rewarding. I've got Downforce and have given away Daytona 500 and Detroit-Cleveland Gran Prix (which I wish I had given to friends instead of selling for a pittance). I'm holding onto Pax Pamir, Thunder Road, Heroscape, Hive, Dixit, Zimby Mojo and few card games. We have played so many games of Hive, and Heroscape was part of my boys' childhood.
Last edit: 07 Feb 2018 22:52 by Cranberries.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Feb 2018 03:52 #263080 by indianajens
I own hundreds and hundreds of games, but I am not really a collector: I don't really like the idea of owning many games and even if I had the money and the room to own everything, I wouldn't want to. So I don't mind selling games if I tire of them, and I have sold hundreds of games over the years. And yes, most of the time I don't miss or give a second thought to the games I have sold. A few times I do regret it (I even made a sad geeklist on BGG about that some years ago ;-) ).

But these days I mostly sell games that are easy to get rid of, and unfortunately that mostly means newer games: Kickstarter and cult of the new has made the selling of older games quite hard and, say, a ten-year old euro is most likely worthless, regardless of its qualities as a game. :( So I maintain a brisk rate of buying and selling newer games, whilst not really getting rid of that many older games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons, stoic

More
07 Feb 2018 09:19 - 07 Feb 2018 09:26 #263088 by Matt Thrower

stoic wrote: I stopped giving a damn about games after I acquired a superb example of most of the game types. Most new games are simply derivative of previously released games--and, many of these new ones aren't creative at all. They're simply rehashed games with unnecessarily more expensive and chromed components or new settings.

This.

The trouble I have is that, now finding myself with multiple examples of different types of games, I find it hard to know which to sell. There are lots of places this indecision springs from: which is better, which belongs in which "type", what things are worth, what might accrue in value. Indeed, with the lower value stuff, whether it's worth the effort of packing it up and walking to the post office. It's enough indecision and inertia to make it hard for me to get round to actually selling things.

And it's stupid. I own about 150 games and, in any given year, I play maybe a quarter to a third of them - and it's often the same ones. There's certainly no need for me to keep a collection even three figures in size, even considering boxes I retain for nostalgia value. I need the motivation to flip titles and this thread has given me some: I've just been to list a bunch of sales. Even now, though, I'm baulking at flogging my copy of No Retreat because it's just gone OOP and might go up in value.

I've sold a lot of games over the years - over £1k worth via BGG alone, apparently (the fees are less than Ebay). And I've regretted and re-acquired exactly two of them, and one of those turned into a shelf toad. Oddly both were expansions: they were the Greek expansion for C&C:A and Under the Shadow of the Dragon respectively. That regret rate should be more motivation to get selling. But it doesn't seem to work like that.

I've just remembered I've got an entire box of Warhammer odds and ends in the loft. 6th edition and earlier, some of it painted and - as a result - all almost entirely worthless. I gave most of my Vampire Counts army to a friend of my daughter's who was starting out in GW, and it felt great to pass a torch on to the next generation in spite of the many, many hours I spent painting. Circumstances like that aside, what are you supposed to do to "flip" stuff like that?
Last edit: 07 Feb 2018 09:26 by Matt Thrower.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, stoic

More
07 Feb 2018 09:35 - 07 Feb 2018 09:44 #263089 by Chapel
Replied by Chapel on topic When You Stop Giving A Damn
I have so many lifestyle games in the garage of my hobbies past. 40K, ASL, Magic the Gathering. Heh, I have four large boxes of Magic. Over thanksgiving my nephew wanted to look through it, and he looks up and says "Is this a real Black Lotus?!"...was like, "yeah probably, should be a full set" :) . I don't think I've even seen those cards since 2001. Then he went ape shit going through my original D&D collection. I love newly minted gamers.

But I don't git rid of anything. At some point Indiana is going to tell me that I belong in a museum.

There is definitely a good portion of my collection that languishes in the dark corners of my storage that I don't really "care" about, but I still play most everything....from time to time.
Last edit: 07 Feb 2018 09:44 by Chapel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
07 Feb 2018 10:31 #263098 by Gary Sax
^my perception, Chapel, is that you have a very, very active ftf gaming life. I'd probably feel comfortable with how large my collection is if I was playing games every week, multiple times a week with a lot of diversity. I think the most depressing version of this is where you don't play a ton of your games but still own lots; I play a fair amount of games but they're mostly 2 player or online which leaves a ton of my favorite games unplayed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chapel

More
07 Feb 2018 11:10 #263108 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic When You Stop Giving A Damn
I'm going to backpedal a bit on my earlier statement. After some consideration, I think that, with the exception of a handful of games, no single game is important. Almost any one of them is replaceable. However the collection as a whole does have an emotional significance. Just being in the game room, surrounded by the shelves of games, gives me a feeling of comfort and security. Browsing through them is like browsing through a photo album or scrap book of memories that connects all the way back to my childhood - playing with my brothers and father as a child, with my husband when when we were teenagers, with my daughter when she was a child, and with my many gamer friends. However, I am probably an outlier, since I lost most of the other memorabilia of my life, and may never get over the trauma of the loss of most of my stuff, and the shock of the destruction of my home. I don't fully understand it, but there it is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, bfkiller, Chapel, Cranberries, san il defanso, stoic

More
07 Feb 2018 11:26 #263115 by Chapel
Replied by Chapel on topic When You Stop Giving A Damn

Gary Sax wrote: ^my perception, Chapel, is that you have a very, very active ftf gaming life. I'd probably feel comfortable with how large my collection is if I was playing games every week, multiple times a week with a lot of diversity. I think the most depressing version of this is where you don't play a ton of your games but still own lots; I play a fair amount of games but they're mostly 2 player or online which leaves a ton of my favorite games unplayed.

I'm my case, it's certainly a lot more opportunity, than time. With 2 young kids and building a new company, I usually get about a game night a month recently. But theoretically I could play several times a week. Role playing, board gaming, wargaming....it's a cornucopia around here. But no time!

But I am like Uba, my game room soothes me like a meditation chamber or a reliquary... It's my religion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Cranberries

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds