October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Best Movies of 2017

More
18 Apr 2018 14:26 #267757 by Gregarius
Replied by Gregarius on topic Best Movies of 2017
I'm not really a list guy (ranking seems like a fool's errand), but here's my group:
1. Dunkirk
The rest: BR2049, 3 Billboards, Lady Bird, Shape of Water, Logan, Coco, Get Out, something, something.

Best Underseen Movie: A Ghost Story (I really, really like this movie and sometimes feel like I'm the only one).
Best Movie That Goes in Every Direction and Includes Every Human Emotion and Has Both Fantastic and Crazy Performances: Okja
Best First Third of a Movie: Baby Driver
Best First Two-Thirds of a Movie: Wonder Woman
Best Movie I Thought I Would Hate But Actually Liked: TIE Spider-man: Homecoming, LEGO Batman
Movie I'm Most Proud of for Not Wasting My Time With: TIE Justice League, Alien: Covenant
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Apr 2018 14:34 #267759 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Best Movies of 2017
yeah, I feel proud I avoided Justice League too.

Jealous that you didn't have to sit through Covenant, but it had it's moments but MAN is it stupid. like WAY dumber than Prometheus.

ok, i need to see A Ghost Story very badly it sounds like.

More
18 Apr 2018 14:44 #267763 by Gregarius

Black Barney wrote: ok, i need to see A Ghost Story very badly it sounds like.

I really think you'll appreciate it, Barney. (fingers crossed)

I'm tempted to say more, but I'd rather you went in cold.

More
18 Apr 2018 14:48 #267764 by Black Barney
that's how I felt about Florida Project, so you make sure to see that and I'll make an effort to see your movie (cold) and we can compare notes after. Sounds like a good deal :)

More
18 Apr 2018 15:05 #267767 by Gregarius
Yep, I deliberately skipped your comments on Florida Project for just that reason. :)

More
18 Apr 2018 23:14 #267790 by Santorum
Replied by Santorum on topic Best Movies of 2017
What two-thirds of Wonder Woman were good? I'm wondering if I fell asleep for a couple hours at some point when I watched the movie....

More
19 Apr 2018 00:40 #267792 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Best Movies of 2017
A Dark Song. Killer film.

More
19 Apr 2018 15:31 #267854 by Gregarius
Watched Florida Project last night. Still kinda processing it, but liked it a lot. You're definitely right about layers upon layers. I loved the juxtaposition of bright, joyful colors and kids with the subtext of poverty and desperation. I had no idea that Willem Dafoe worked as a motel manager as a side job when not acting.

Sorry for the brevity, but I'm heading out for a long weekend and wanted to get some thoughts out there.

More
19 Apr 2018 16:05 #267856 by Black Barney
yeah, i also don't think Willem Dafoe was actually acting there either. There's just no way it can be that believable a performance.

Give it a couple of days before figuring out how you feel about it. I couldn't talk about Florida Project at all for at least a day after seeing it. It was still running all around in my head.

So glad you saw it.

More
21 Apr 2018 12:53 #267946 by SuperflyPete
For what may be the first time, I agree with Michael in every aspect of his list.

I would only add one: A Dark Song

More
21 Apr 2018 16:56 #267959 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Best Movies of 2017
That is a really interesting film...it takes occultism very seriously and not all that sensationally so. The ending was breathtaking.

More
21 Apr 2018 17:00 - 21 Apr 2018 17:01 #267960 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Best Movies of 2017
?
Last edit: 21 Apr 2018 17:01 by Michael Barnes.

More
21 Apr 2018 21:29 #267966 by SuperflyPete
That’s what made it stand out. It didn’t devolve into cliches and tropes. It took the whole subject seriously and as you say, the ending was astounding.

Incredible film, and I loved that they cast Irishmen who were understandable. I’ve spent time in Dublin and those folks are hard AF to understand

More
22 Apr 2018 09:46 #267971 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Best Movies of 2017

Santorum wrote: What two-thirds of Wonder Woman were good? I'm wondering if I fell asleep for a couple hours at some point when I watched the movie....

The first two-thirds of Wonder Woman was good. Perfect casting of Wonder Woman, and Chris Pine threatened to steal every scene as Steve Trevor. Some good action, lovely cinematography, a couple of interesting villains, some moderate humor, especially in the scenes with Etta Candy. I saw Wonder Woman with a history buff, and he said that the general was an actual historical figure and a good choice for this movie. The final third was one of those boring superhero movie fights where characters are wielding tremendous force against each other to minimal effect until the hero figures out a gimmicky way to win.

More
22 Apr 2018 23:01 #268012 by Santorum
Replied by Santorum on topic Best Movies of 2017

Shellhead wrote: The first two-thirds of Wonder Woman was good. Perfect casting of Wonder Woman, and Chris Pine threatened to steal every scene as Steve Trevor. Some good action, lovely cinematography, a couple of interesting villains, some moderate humor, especially in the scenes with Etta Candy. I saw Wonder Woman with a history buff, and he said that the general was an actual historical figure and a good choice for this movie. The final third was one of those boring superhero movie fights where characters are wielding tremendous force against each other to minimal effect until the hero figures out a gimmicky way to win.

Casting and all of that was fine, I was just disappointed that the movie lacked any sort of emotional core. That's what separates Marvel from DC: you actually developed some sort of connection to the characters (and the characters to one another) in Marvel movies, where as in DC movies you're just kind of walked through some stuff that happens and then some flashy fight happens and the movie ends. Their attempt at establishing a romance was implying Steve and WW had sex that one time and then she got all sad when he died. FEELINGS!

They did a lot of things right, it just magnified what few things they really missed on. It could have been a truly great movie but instead it ended up merely as okay at best, and one that's difficult to recommend.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.302 seconds