October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Breath of the Wild Dedicated Thread

More
06 Mar 2017 20:29 #244907 by the_jake_1973
Are there dungeons? I thought there were just the shrines.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Mar 2017 10:41 #244920 by fastbilly1
There 100 small dungeons (the shrine mounds) and four large dungeons - one in each Divine Beast. I have found the Elephant and have seen the Bird from a distance, but cant figure out how to get inside of it.

More
07 Mar 2017 12:23 #244923 by the_jake_1973
Why I love this game:

Warning: Spoiler!
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso

More
07 Mar 2017 13:37 #244925 by san il defanso
I did that one yesterday, and solved it that way too. Pretty awesome.

More
07 Mar 2017 19:39 #244935 by Michael Barnes
OK, I've been playing it. It's really early, but the hype is real. This is the most forward-thinking, innovative Nintendo game since Metroid Prime, and it is so far at that level of greatness. Which is to say if you look down from there, you see 99.99% of all other video games ever made.

It somehow manages to take something I don't like- open world- and make it compelling. It kind of blew my mind when I found out- without any kind of direction or prompting from the game- that I could climb a mountain. I spent like ten minutes just scaling this cliff to see what was up there, and sure enough there was a reward there- a shrine.

Those shrines are an example of how brilliantly this game renovates the Zelda format. Instead of dungeoncrawling to get the key, the map, the compass, the boss key and whatever special item you need to beat the boss in it, you go to these special shrines that have purpose-built puzzles that are also tutorials in disguise for how to use the ability.

Combat is surprisingly good...and weapons with attack stats? What is this, Adventure of Link???

I'm having a hard time doing anything other than reaching for the Switch today.

Now, the console. It's hard to say with only one game where it's going, but I REALLY like that little thing. It feels more like a replacement for the 3DS than for the WiiU. Well, kind of both. I haven't even hooked it up to the TV or used the dock yet, I just plugged it into the wall. I haven't really felt like I needed to use the big screen. I haven't seen any slowdown or whatever.

The controls feel pretty small though- definitely close to handheld. You can take the Joycons off and stick them in this gamepad thing, but they are still little. It doesn't really bother me, but I think I will get a pro controller eventually...even though that sort of spoils the novelty of having it as a handheld. Really nice that it has a sleep mode- you can sort of just put it down and then pick it up again later without having to load anything.

Sadly, I think it will probably follow on with the Wii U and wind up underappreciated.

More
07 Mar 2017 20:14 #244937 by wadenels
Switch had a strong launch and has some good 3rd party support incoming. I don't think this one will be neglected.

Back to BotW: I've been playing on the big screen exclusively and loving every minute of it. I've wasted so much time exploring stuff and finding things that I don't know how to use yet...

The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso

More
08 Mar 2017 09:35 #244943 by fastbilly1
Everyone needs to go to Faron tower area and get bananas. Cooking 5 bananas gets you a dish with 5heart restore and a max attack up for several minutes (3-4 minutes). In one trip through Faron I ended up with 30 bananas. I dove straight into Minor Trials of Strength, though my electric sword broke on the third one so I did not chance the major trial I found.

More
08 Mar 2017 16:53 #244981 by Michael Barnes
I just finished the first four shrines (and soon after found a fifth). Got the "big picture" story. It just keeps getting better. This is definitely one for the ages. I am about to just go ahead and buy the DLC.

I really hope the new Mario game is as progressive as BotW is...it really is a breath of fresh air. Yet it still 100% feels like Nintendo, and it feels like Zelda. But they aren't leaning so much on A Link to the Past or Ocarina of Time.

Heading to Kakariko Village...

More
08 Mar 2017 16:55 #244982 by san il defanso
We'll see how well you get there before you get sidetracked.

I have been insanely busy this week, so I purposefully cleared my evening tonight to spend a couple hours in this game. It has just kept giving at every turn.

More
09 Mar 2017 06:04 #244993 by Matt Thrower
Not played the game - I've never bought a console at launch price in my life, and may never get round to the Switch at all - but this is a great piece about the economy of storytelling in Breath of the Wild. Fantastic demonstration of why less remains more in the era where play hours are mistaken for value.

www.digitiser2000.com/main-page/a-tale-o...a-breath-of-the-wild
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Hex Sinister, san il defanso, OldHippy, wadenels, sornars

More
11 Mar 2017 07:14 #245039 by wadenels
Breath of the Wild is sucking up all my free time and I love it. I've got at least 20 hours in and I've just now moved on from the second village. I'm still exploring every inch of the map and finding shrines and stuff hidden all over the place. I already bought the DLC.

This game is going to influence open-world game design for the next decade.

More
11 Mar 2017 14:44 #245047 by OldHippy

wadenels wrote: This game is going to influence open-world game design for the next decade.

I hope you're right. Unfortunately I don't think many people are going to get to play this game. Wii U, as we all know, is not a popular system and Switch sales may be great, I'm not sure, but I don't know a single person who bought one.

The game is fantastic though. I've been playing every spare moment I've had since it came out. Normally my nights are all about music since I've sort of stopped playing games unless it's with my son. But this one roped me back in.

Every time I've prayed so far I've taken an extra heart container... but I think I'm going to switch over to stamina for the next couple.. the importance of stamina is not obvious at first but being able to climb higher and fly further seem like they would be great for exploration which is one of the best parts of the game. I really dig that I can face impossible enemies immediately. This is now my second favourite Wii U game, Bayonetta 2 is still number one for me but that's purely because of the style of game it is, I'm not much of an RPG fan generally speaking. I find that RPG's are too long and generally just about stats and that doesn't appeal to me. But Zelda has decent combat and isn't super stat heavy, very minimal cut scenes, doesn't focus too much on crafting and new equipment... all things that take away from a game for me so I'm having a great time.

More
13 Mar 2017 00:31 - 13 Mar 2017 00:33 #245068 by san il defanso
I faced probably the toughest task yet, trying to get shock arrows. Mission accomplished, but it took a lot of failures. I love how this game is deadly, but doesn't punish failure very severely.

Last edit: 13 Mar 2017 00:33 by san il defanso.

More
13 Mar 2017 09:53 #245073 by the_jake_1973
Shock arrows wreck the guardians. It only took 10 of them for me to take down a moderate strength test shrine guardian.

More
13 Mar 2017 10:31 #245076 by san il defanso
I defeated my first dungeon. I was quite impressed. One thing I really liked about Skyward Sword was the dungeon design, and this game seems to take the same philosophy, only moreso. They are smaller and a bit punchier. I also liked that the dungeon I did focused more on puzzles, with comparatively few enemies. It was also much more contained and pretty non-linear, as is befitting this game.

Man, this game.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.277 seconds