October 09, 2023
2443 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2644 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Any chance FFG makes an expansion for DungeonQuest?

More
16 Feb 2012 18:16 #116698 by Egg Shen
FFG is a company that is not shy about pumping out expansions to their games. I think DungeonQuest is one of their recent games that is dying for an expansion. I'm not sure if they have the rights to produce expansions or not, but I sure hope they do.

The base game needs more...stuff. More random encounters, more traps, more death, more enemies, more everything! Plus I think they can go back and officially remedy their fuck-ups with their reprint. They could put the original combat rules back into the game (along with the 3x3 chart). They could also go back and put a D12 in the expansion and a variant to play by the original rules.

So essentially the expansion would be the equivalent of a patch that a videogame might get. There would be some new content, but we would also get "bug fixes" to what they changed in their reprint.

I doubt this would happen, but I would snap it up in a heartbeat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2012 18:22 #116699 by Space Ghost
I think the change to 2 D6s + fate is an interesting one. Statistically, it almost is identical to the original in terms of expected number of turns before a success. I think the change is all at a "psychological" level, where it feels like your odds of success are going to increase if you keep getting fate tokens.

The problem I have with that (and it is minor) is that the game isn't supposed to be psychologically comforting. The only thing that I can think is that they were afraid people wouldn't like it if there was as much perceived randomness as in the original.

More
16 Feb 2012 18:42 - 16 Feb 2012 18:49 #116700 by Mr. White
I was wondering this a few weeks ago as well, and found this data someone posted at BGG regarding DQ's sales:

Game Year Expansion? Users Owning
Battlestar Galactica 2008 YES 10737
Cosmic Encounter 2008 YES 5563
Civilization 2010 YES 5434
Chaos in the Old World 2009 YES 4774
Mansions of Madness 2011 POD 4439
Runewars 2010 YES 3325
Middle-earth Quest 2009 NO 2838
Android 2008 NO 2723
DungeonQuest 2010 NO 2128
Age of Conan 2009 NO 1938
WoW: the Adventure Game 2009 MINI 1857
Battles of Westeros 2010 YES 1686
Horus Heresy 2010 NO 1283
Cadwallon 2010 MINI 1017

Granted the number of users owning isn't accurate, but it's a number to look at to guess at sales. It appears as if games that have less sales than Runewars (~3000 BGG owners) are hit or miss on whether they get expansions.

Edit: Damn...the formatting is lost.
Last edit: 16 Feb 2012 18:49 by Mr. White.

More
16 Feb 2012 18:45 - 16 Feb 2012 18:45 #116701 by Space Ghost
I would guess it is pretty close to the same ordering for sales....and, that seems to be about as indicative as anything else that would help us guess about whether it needs/gets an expansion or not.
Last edit: 16 Feb 2012 18:45 by Space Ghost.

More
16 Feb 2012 18:55 #116703 by Mr. White
Looking at the data, I'd guess we'll see DQ and Horus Heresey in their Holiday sale soon. That, and MEQ is toeing the line.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dogmatix

More
16 Feb 2012 19:24 #116706 by Egg Shen
Yeah, it looks like the game is sort of on the cusp of what they deem successful enough to continue supporting it.

I think sales for the game were hurt by two things:

1) The tinkering with the original rules and not allowing the game to be played as it was originally released. This coupled with the game halting card combat led to some really bad initial reviews. I know for a fact that I put off buying the game for a long time because the card combat sounded dreadful.

2) The game got ripped to shreds on BGG because it was such a random game. Reading people's seething hatred for the game on BGG was another thing that deterred me from buying it (should have known better than to listen to them though). Hell, even Tom Vasel game the game a pretty damning review.

I eventually did buy the game and used the original combat variant that FFG posted online...and I loved it. It wasn't perfect but it was still damn fun. I think FFG could really breathe life back into this if they released an expansion. Hell, even just a small Talisman: The Reaper sized expansion would drum up potential interest. If they put in rules to make it play like the original I bet it would increase sales of the base game as well.

More
16 Feb 2012 20:39 - 16 Feb 2012 20:49 #116723 by Mr. White
I'm with you, Egg, except I never pulled the trigger.

DQ was my most anticipated re-release, but with the card combat I lost all interest. Well, the Terrinoth setting put me off as well, but I've warmed up to it a little. If I think of the game as sort of boardgame version of Dragon's Lair, the cartoony art of Terrinoth doesn't bother me as much.

I know there's an online fix, but doesn't it require using like magic, range, and melee cards and then something like some characters don't use magic so thematically it doesn't make sense? I dunno I haven't bothered to get that deep into it, but if there were a small box expansion with the proper cards to use for combat, I'd likely pick DQ up.
Last edit: 16 Feb 2012 20:49 by Mr. White.

More
16 Feb 2012 21:02 #116727 by mads b.
Here and on BGG the new Dungeonquest was the victim of nerd rage about especially the combat system. Had you never played the original, you probably wouldn't give a shit about determination tokens and how the combat was different. You would at most notice that combat could run a bit long compared to the other stuff happening, but the same was true about the original.

I haven't played the game much, but I love the new combat system which I think adds direct player interaction and actual game to an otherwise very random (but very funny) multiplayer solitaire luckfest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: madwookiee, wice, cdennett

More
16 Feb 2012 21:45 #116730 by hotseatgames
I've regretted a few purchases over the years. FFG DungeonQuest is at the TOP of that list by a long shot. I never play it, and doubt it will ever see much table time.

More
16 Feb 2012 22:05 #116737 by stormseeker75
Trade it this way, mofo.

More
16 Feb 2012 22:27 #116743 by scissors
I like the ffg version just fine. we play the classic combat system. it would have been cool to have more original monsters than the terrinoth gang - they could have made somehing really unique in their catalogue and i fail to see the need why the brand needed to be shored up by this particular game - but i dont see it as a disaster. by all means bring on the expansion.

More
16 Feb 2012 22:57 #116748 by Space Ghost
yeah, I will never understand the nerdrage over this -- I have the original and love it. The original is cooler for several reasons -- cards the shape of coffins, lanterns, corpses, and doors being on top of that list.

As for gameplay though, it is damn near identical. As mads said, you would have never noticed if you hadn't played the original. Most people haven't, so it gets back to the randomness of it all. I think that the modern "hobbyist" doesn't like that in their games....whatever. It is a fun game.

It does have strong points though. It integrated the Catacombs better than the original and it also integrated wandering monsters too. I always thought it was weird in the original when you got killed by a monster (or fled a monster) that it didn't stay on the board.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kookoobah

More
16 Feb 2012 23:51 #116753 by kookoobah
I still find the combat thematically weird, but whatever. This game really feels like it needs an expansioon, like MEQ, but I don't think we're going to get one. I'd buy both those expansions in a snap.

DQ is good for laughs, and the slow combat doesn't really do it favors since a game like this should just flow faster. I don't know why they had this weird combat system here, it feels like a dumbed down version of MEQ combat, which I thought was great.

More
17 Feb 2012 03:18 #116765 by Not Sure
The combat system is a weirdo, and I agree with whoever first said they thought FFG had it kicking around the parts pile and wedged it in there.

That said, we've had plenty of fun with the new edition, and it being lambasted by the no-fun crowd is stupid. However, watching it get tons of hate from the fun crowd here baffles me too.

If you don't have one, get one and enjoy it. If you have an old one, keep playing it. I promise to stay off your lawn. If you don't like the card combat, try the variants.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dair, cdennett

More
17 Feb 2012 14:57 #116803 by Egg Shen
Yea, I also don't agree with all the hate the game gets. As I said before the new edition has flaws (mainly the combat system), but I'd be lying if I said I didn't have fun playing it.

DungeonQuest is certainly an archaic design, but that is what I like about it. You have little control over what is happening and you go into it knowing you're probably gonna die. DungeonQuest is designed like a classic quarter munching arcade machine. You play it over and over again, knowing that it is purposely designed to fuck you over... Yet you keep going to get a better score. That was a big turning point for us. Once we started keeping track of high scores the stakes got higher and deadlier. People will do extra dumb shit in the name of "one upping" their friends.

If the card combat has scared you off then rest easy knowing that the combat variants FFG posted online are easy to implement and completely fix the game. The game is still heaps of fun. Plus pointing and laughing at your friend who fell down a bottomless pit on turn 1 never gets old. How many games have come out since DQ that let you do that?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds