October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

"rebooting" of recent games?

More
17 Apr 2012 02:43 #123068 by quozl
Yeah, no text on cards means no buy from me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2012 08:37 #123074 by Mr Skeletor
Descent doesn't count - it's been 6 years and they let you use alot of the shit in the previous edition so your old stuff is still good if you get the new ed.
Summoner Wars certainly doesn't count. There is only one edition to that game! Ditto heroscape.
Thunderstone and Puzzle Strike is a poor trend to me. Yomi was looking at a potential new edition as well though David claims it will be 'years and years' away.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stonecutter

More
17 Apr 2012 10:25 #123076 by Stormcow
David can suck a fat one. Puzzle Strike and Flash Duel are clusterfucks in terms of screwing over original buyers.

Gosu - first time I've heard about it, and I'm interested. But lack of text would certainly be a dealbreaker. I looked it up on BGG and they will use symbols (like RftG), but IMO will make the game worse if they have to work with a vocabulary of just seven symbols.

Thunderstone - It seems like a good thing that the 1st edition had so many expansions. If I were a fan of the game, I'd see the 2nd edition as a good time to jump off the expansion train, with no hard feelings.

I did buy the new WotR despite owning the old one, so I have no inherent objections to reboots, just as long as it seems like an honest amount of value and not a cash grab to see who will buy your game twice. On the other hand, for overhauls like GoSu, why not just call it a different game entirely? Why split your player base? Why not sell two games side by side instead of burning bridges on the old one?

More
17 Apr 2012 13:35 #123084 by san il defanso
Puzzle Strike Kickstarter is live.

Man, it really does piss me off. I don't buy tons of games, and I really like the set I already have. But if I were to get the expansion, it sounds like it would be an overwhelming power creep against the original+upgrade pack.

The thing is, they had to have planned to do this third edition at some point in the last six months. And yet they still sold the Upgrade Pack, basically saying it "fixed" the game. Not enough, apparently.

More
17 Apr 2012 13:47 #123086 by Egg Shen
One game that comes to mind is Dungeon Twister.

I remember when I first started getting back into boardgames DT was a game I saw at every hobby shop I went into. Not only the base game, but a couple of expansions as well. Well I held off buying the game for a few years. When I finally did acquire it I believe they announced DT: Prison shortly after, which was basically a second edition/reboot. This didn't piss me off because I saw that it had upgraded components,solo rules etc...it looked like a great version of the game. I snapped up DT: Prison shortly after it came out and I decided to never expand my 1st edition base game.

Well the thing that aggravates me, is that there has been literally zero support for DT: Prison. Not one damn expansion. Now most of the DT stuff is OOP and fairly hard to find. I've heard grumblings for a while that we will finally start seeing "blister pack" expansions in 2012. I'm certainly not holding my breath though.

I have no problem with a reboot as long as its worth while. Give me better components, re-worked rules, etc... I do have a problem with investing in a product and it getting zero support. That is a kick in nuts to a gamer.

More
17 Apr 2012 15:42 #123102 by SuperflyPete

San Il Defanso wrote: But Pete, the Master set actually gave plenty of good value for everyone. It had six new races, and that alone would have cost $60 full retail if they'd been packaged seperately. And for those of us who never got on the premium board train, it was an even better deal.

Hey Nate, read the original post.

"What games are getting a reboot treatment"

It didn't have anything to do with value, it was just asking what was rebooted.

More
17 Apr 2012 15:45 #123103 by SuperflyPete

Egg Shen wrote: One game that comes to mind is Dungeon Twister.

I remember when I first started getting back into boardgames DT was a game I saw at every hobby shop I went into. Not only the base game, but a couple of expansions as well. Well I held off buying the game for a few years. When I finally did acquire it I believe they announced DT: Prison shortly after, which was basically a second edition/reboot. This didn't piss me off because I saw that it had upgraded components,solo rules etc...it looked like a great version of the game. I snapped up DT: Prison shortly after it came out and I decided to never expand my 1st edition base game.

Well the thing that aggravates me, is that there has been literally zero support for DT: Prison. Not one damn expansion. Now most of the DT stuff is OOP and fairly hard to find. I've heard grumblings for a while that we will finally start seeing "blister pack" expansions in 2012. I'm certainly not holding my breath though.

ES: Prison is fully compatible with the other expansions, and the figures that go with the expansions that already exist for the original DT were always available after Prison went into production.

www.nobleknight.com/ViewProducts.asp_Q_P...ID_E_16_A_GenreID_E_

It's not that DT2: Twister didn't get support, it's that so much existed for DT to begin with it really didn't NEED support.

In retrospect, I wish I hadn't caved in as I had almost all the expansions and everything at one point. It's just that nobody wanted to play it anymore.

More
17 Apr 2012 15:53 #123107 by bfkiller
Isn't the Master Set compatible with previous Summoner Wars releases? If so, it's no more a reboot than something like Dominion: Intrigue or Seaside.

More
17 Apr 2012 15:54 #123108 by san il defanso
I don't think that the Master Set IS a reboot though. It's an expansion, pure and simple.

More
17 Apr 2012 16:44 - 17 Apr 2012 16:45 #123115 by Egg Shen

SuperflyTNT wrote:

Egg Shen wrote: One game that comes to mind is Dungeon Twister.

ES: Prison is fully compatible with the other expansions, and the figures that go with the expansions that already exist for the original DT were always available after Prison went into production.

www.nobleknight.com/ViewProducts.asp_Q_P...ID_E_16_A_GenreID_E_

It's not that DT2: Twister didn't get support, it's that so much existed for DT to begin with it really didn't NEED support.

In retrospect, I wish I hadn't caved in as I had almost all the expansions and everything at one point. It's just that nobody wanted to play it anymore.

I suppose you're correct. Also I looked again today and it appears that the first edition stuff is still out there if you look, except for the 3/4 player expansion. I understand that its all compatible, but why go make that nice fancy 2nd Edition then? Also those resin figures for the base game and original expansion cost more than the price of DT: Prison!

I happen to really enjoy DT...it is a really fantastic game, but for some reason it never really caught on with the boardgame community. Sure it has some vocal fans, but as a whole the brand never really seemed to be that popular. I hope there is still life in the game since I would certainly support the 2nd edition stuff. If they don't get their asses in gear soon, I'll just snap up all the first edition stuff and not bother expanding DT: Prison.
Last edit: 17 Apr 2012 16:45 by Egg Shen. Reason: Spelling

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.367 seconds