October 09, 2023
2448 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2646 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

And this is the #1 rated boardgame?

More
23 Apr 2010 20:36 #60803 by stormseeker75
The takeover rules are quite intimidating. But it never happens. Shit, I tried a 2-player game using the Rebel vs. Imperium setup that is designed to cause takeovers and it never happened. A great idea that never takes place and is way too convoluted to even bother with.

I love the game, but I'm a bit scared to add another expansion. You will NEVER be able to shuffle the damn thing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Apr 2010 04:19 #60812 by Amontillado
TheDukester wrote:

I'd rather play San Juan 50 times than set up even a single game of Puerto Rico.

I'm right there. My wife and I like to play San Juan, and it's easily my favorite casual Euro.

I wanted to like Puerto Rico, but I don't get enough game time to put the energy into figuring out the optimal way to play it. More importantly, I don't know anyone who ever plays it. After having it sit on the shelf for a few years, I traded it for BSG, which I've never played. I'm guessing it was a worthwhile trade. I do have a group who should take to BSG.

My list of Euro games is dwindling down to nearly nothing now, but I admit I'm playing more and enjoying what I play more. I think the only Euro that I don't intend to let go of (other than San Juan) is Tikal. Haven't played in a few years, but it's a gorgeous game and fun enough every once in awhile.

More
24 Apr 2010 05:18 #60815 by Notahandle
generalpf wrote:
" When I was playing with the second expansion we didn't even get out the cubes for it."
Same here (and I still laugh at the official "pale red" description). I haven't even punched out the goals, because what I liked was that everything (except VPs) was done with cards. The goals moved away from this and added extra randomness so I didn't think they added very much to the game.

More
24 Apr 2010 08:27 #60817 by stormseeker75
I love the goals which is why I feel that Race should not be played without the first expansion. However, the 2nd one is meh and I have doubts about this next one.

More
25 Apr 2010 20:34 #60841 by Black Barney
yeah the goals are terrific. They add a ton to the game. Smart addition. The goals in Railroad Tycoon remind of them a bit. It's great for people that aren't good at strategizing and can take great pleasure in short term goals. (my wife for instance)

More
26 Apr 2010 00:28 #60849 by Space Ghost
The only good game mentioned in this thread was Throneworld.

More
29 Sep 2010 12:09 - 29 Sep 2010 12:10 #75389 by Jexik
I got this for my birthday from a friend who knows I like board games and didn't have it.

I've played it twice with 3p, and have little desire to try again, but it's mostly there just to try to find out what I'm missing. I played RftG several dozen times before I played this, and I've never played San Juan - PR just feels like a less interesting version of Race that multiplies the game length by the number of people at the table.

Why is it so popular? Is it the "mama bear" of Euro games? Just heavy enough for the die-hard cube pushers, but easy enough to teach people who don't play many games?
Last edit: 29 Sep 2010 12:10 by Jexik.

More
29 Sep 2010 12:46 - 29 Sep 2010 12:47 #75398 by SuperflyPete
Funny that this topic came up...last night I was hanging in Chicago with Jexik and we had this exact same conversation. I like the game OK, but it's not even close to El Grande as far as "fun level".

The strongest player is generally the one who has played it the most, and the only "fuck you" moves are looking at people's crops and deciding to load ships or sell to the trader in order to hose that player out. I'd rate it a 6/10 at best, and I freely admit that I like all games, although I like AT more.

For those interested in playing PR, but with a little more backstabbery...

We've come up with a Puerto Rico variant that makes it more interesting: Sabotage. I've put a D4 in the box and have put a "saboteur" card in the place of a Prospector. If you choose the saboteur, only you can play it, and you have to pay 5 gold. You may then pick a player and do one of the following:

1: Roll 1D4, destroying that many of the player's least valuable crops
2: Pay 5 more gold and destroy a small building
3: Pay 10 more gold and destroy a large building
4: Pay 3 gold per colonist and murder their colonists (must be in San Juan, not played to the tableau)

It makes the game far more interesting, and there's a body count. I love body counts.
Last edit: 29 Sep 2010 12:47 by SuperflyPete.

More
29 Sep 2010 12:55 #75401 by ChristopherMD
superflytnt wrote:

For those interested in playing PR, but with a little more backstabbery...

We've come up with a Puerto Rico variant that makes it more interesting: Sabotage. I've put a D4 in the box and have put a "saboteur" card in the place of a Prospector. If you choose the saboteur, only you can play it, and you have to pay 5 gold. You may then pick a player and do one of the following:

1: Roll 1D4, destroying that many of the player's least valuable crops
2: Pay 5 more gold and destroy a small building
3: Pay 10 more gold and destroy a large building
4: Pay 3 gold per colonist and murder their colonists (must be in San Juan, not played to the tableau)

It makes the game far more interesting, and there's a body count. I love body counts.

What happens to the destroyed buildings? Do they go back up for sale or are they removed from the game?

More
29 Sep 2010 14:38 - 29 Sep 2010 14:40 #75412 by Black Barney
I love this game. It's my favourite board game. I find it perfect for family gaming (very non-confrontational), and fun too.

I can completely understand why ATers might not like it. I feel lucky that I can enjoy this and also greatly enjoy Twilight Struggle and War of the Ring in a very different way.
Last edit: 29 Sep 2010 14:40 by Black Barney.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.225 seconds