October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

unearthing the societies gaming cupboard

More
24 Mar 2012 22:15 #120527 by DukeofChutney
I got elected as gaming coordinator for my uni's scifi soc a few weeks ago. I decided to clean out our gaming cupboard and see what gold was hidden in the back. Theres a load of regular games we play that are in carrier bags, but there were stacks in the back no one ever got out

Here's the board games i found;

Talisman 1st ed - with dungeon and adventurer expansions (it has 49 different character cards! including a zulu)

Railway rivals - A games workshop train game with pens and stuff

The Peloponnesian war (victory games) appears to be unplayed

History of the world - gibson games

Divine right - tsr 1979 and in pretty good condition. appears to be a hex and counter fantasy war game, has a very cool map. Also some silly high second hand prices on bgg

Star fist - steve jackson games, based on triplanitary apparently, space combat game on a hex grid

blood berets - looks like a poor mans legion of steel, doesnt appear to have ever been played, ive read the rules they seem simple enough, Ken ive seen what i think is your review on bgg

Kings and things - west end games edition

Babylon 5 wars with several expansions and some metal ships - space hex combat game

battletech with city tech and quite a few extra maps, only card board mechs though

aces high - boxed edition simulations games, hex and counter dog fight war game

wooden ships iron men, avalon hill, hex and counter ships of the line

2 copies of kingmaker, neither complete, one gibson with big boards one avalon hill book case

battlecars - weird looking games workshop game

Shattered states - alternate future scifish america post civil war game with lots of low quality paper cards

Any way, ive posted here rather than in the trade forums for the scoop on these games. Has anyone played any of them? any worth keeping? any really really work selling?

I expect we will sell or trade a fair number of them, a few (divine right, blood berets peloponesian war, kingmaker) i'd like to play before we consider getting shot of them.

There's perhaps a 100 rpg books in the back of the cupboard too but thats a challenge for another day. There lots of james bond 700 rpg books, a host of Cyberpunk 2020, Harnmaster, Traveller, Glurps, some call of cthulu, some 40k and warhammer stuff and then the usual ton of D&D. again any experience of this kind of stuff would be useful. Harnmaster Traveller and 2020 all appeal to me but my rpg experience is limited to DnD and ive never gm'd.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2012 22:41 #120529 by Space Ghost
You'd be a fool not to keep Divine Right. Kings and Things is one we enjoy quite a bit too.

More
24 Mar 2012 23:25 #120531 by ubarose
You found Talisman 2nd Edition. You should play it.

I really like History of the World, but no one plays it anymore.

More
25 Mar 2012 04:27 #120552 by QPCloudy

ubarose wrote: You found Talisman 2nd Edition. You should play it.

I really like History of the World, but no one plays it anymore.

My buddy's wife says we absolutely must play on our next gaming get together. She says it's the one game she has fun at even when she is losing. I have never played.

More
25 Mar 2012 05:07 #120554 by SebastianBludd
Congrats on the find, I love looking through old games like that.

DukeofChutney wrote: There's perhaps a 100 rpg books in the back of the cupboard too but thats a challenge for another day. There lots of james bond 700 rpg books, a host of Cyberpunk 2020, Harnmaster, Traveller, Glurps, some call of cthulu, some 40k and warhammer stuff and then the usual ton of D&D. again any experience of this kind of stuff would be useful. Harnmaster Traveller and 2020 all appeal to me but my rpg experience is limited to DnD and ive never gm'd.

I just sold a bunch of WH/WH40K 2nd Ed. books on eBay and I can tell you that, unless you do bundles, you're looking at about $5-$10 per book for 2nd Ed. stuff. Most of the Codexes have been supplanted by newer editions so they're just not going for much. The most valuable books I sold were the Sisters of Battle Codex (goes for $20-$30) since they only ever printed one edition, and a bundle of Necromunda books (Rulebook, Sourcebook, Outlanders book, painting guide, etc.) that sold for $31.

More
25 Mar 2012 09:01 #120564 by DukeofChutney
yeah i know the Wh 40k rules books will be more or less worthless, but alot of it is rpg stuff, this changes less regularly. Its the 007 rpg books that will be first on the chopping block i expect, we will probably actually keep much of the rest of the rpg stuff. We have multiple copies of some things (the main book for cyberpunk 2020)so they'l get sold.

@ Space ghost
I had a look at the rules to divine right, seems like some diplomacy and card play fueled war game, the rules will be work to learn though. Why are people charging silly money on bgg for it? It coudl easily be print and played given the components are just a paper map, some poor quality cards and a lot of counters.

We have talisman 4th ed and play it regularly, i have infact played 2nd ed but many years ago, might give this one a rerun soon.

More
25 Mar 2012 23:21 #120616 by Notahandle
That sounds like one hell of a large cupboard! Some good stuff there, as mentioned above.

More
25 Mar 2012 23:45 #120618 by tscook
Traveller is fucking awesome.

More
01 Apr 2012 05:23 #121236 by Not Sure

tscook wrote: Traveller is fucking awesome.

Traveller is one of those games where I believe you can die during character creation. I love vintage RPGs for stuff like that. I'm pretty sure CP2020 was the same way, you could at least be seriously hosed if not outright die, all while filling out the sheet.

Traveller was how I learned hexadecimal as well, before I started programming. (and Champions made me fast at algebra...)

More
01 Apr 2012 15:14 - 01 Apr 2012 15:16 #121250 by Gary Sax
That is a badass find. Some expensive shit in there. IIRC, Pelo war can land you an absolute mint. Divine Right too, but it's supposed to be VERY good.

I'd keep the good stuff, though...
Last edit: 01 Apr 2012 15:16 by Gary Sax.

More
01 Apr 2012 15:48 #121251 by Sagrilarus

Not Sure wrote: Traveller is one of those games where I believe you can die during character creation.

It's also possible your guy is fifty years old when you're done with character creation too. We played a ton of Traveller when I was a kid and I still have all the specs on my main character and his ship. You have the small book rules? Maybe 5x8 black books with a stripe across the cover? I don't see huge prices for the main ones (books 0 through 4 I believe) but some of the supplements can pull some bucks and, frankly, I may buy a couple of them off of you.

S.

More
01 Apr 2012 17:19 #121253 by DukeofChutney
I think theres only a couple of traveler books, and one of them is largish, will check them all over soonish.

I've played Pelo war, its a good game, but its a solo war game designed to teach you history. It does that very well, but once you've done it once it doesn't really demand replays. I look forward to playing Divine Right.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds