October 09, 2023
2292 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Warhammer 40K - Buy or Wait?

More
16 Mar 2012 02:58 #119471 by Shrieking Emu
Is there a rule in 40K where the same faction can't face off against one another?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Mar 2012 03:43 #119474 by Ancient_of_MuMu

Shrieking Emu wrote: Is there a rule in 40K where the same faction can't face off against one another?

No. It just gets really boring facing marine army after marine army.

More
16 Mar 2012 05:22 #119481 by Dogmatix

Gary Sax wrote: Nice post Rliyen. I think many people who say WH40K has not tactics are often just talking about Space Marine armies, which are sort of built to have no tactics and good at most things, just a little scarce in terms of numbers.

That's the sense I get about Tyranid and pre-"Rebooted as Tomb Kings in Space" Necron armies, too. Orks are always a little odd--they're a mob army but they're pretty customizable.

If I got into it to truly play, I think I'd probably end up with a wall full of Guard, Tau, and Ork. The Guard seem like the most demanding while the Tau would be more forgiving but still require some thought. As for Orks--sometimes you just gotta just lean across the table at a friend and roar "WAAAGH!" while crushing a beercan on your forehead. (Never would I dream of doing this in public, but in my basement? That is precisely the sort of gaming Natty Boh', Schmidt's, and Shiner were brewed for! ;))

More
16 Mar 2012 14:48 #119516 by Rliyen

Ancient_of_MuMu wrote:

Shrieking Emu wrote: Is there a rule in 40K where the same faction can't face off against one another?

No. It just gets really boring facing marine army after marine army.

Seconded. Since the Imperium of Man is so xenophobic and afraid of heresy, bad information gets out. A chapter has gone to Chaos, that sort of thing. Orks fighting Orks is standard MO for them, they're bored without a good duffin. Etc.

More
16 Mar 2012 14:58 #119517 by Rliyen

Dogmatix wrote:

Gary Sax wrote: Nice post Rliyen. I think many people who say WH40K has not tactics are often just talking about Space Marine armies, which are sort of built to have no tactics and good at most things, just a little scarce in terms of numbers.

That's the sense I get about Tyranid and pre-"Rebooted as Tomb Kings in Space" Necron armies, too. Orks are always a little odd--they're a mob army but they're pretty customizable.

If I got into it to truly play, I think I'd probably end up with a wall full of Guard, Tau, and Ork. The Guard seem like the most demanding while the Tau would be more forgiving but still require some thought. As for Orks--sometimes you just gotta just lean across the table at a friend and roar "WAAAGH!" while crushing a beercan on your forehead. (Never would I dream of doing this in public, but in my basement? That is precisely the sort of gaming Natty Boh', Schmidt's, and Shiner were brewed for! ;))

Nids are actually nasty looking IG. Their only weakness is the Shoot the Bigguns (Granted, I still play a lot of third and 4th, but never played Nids in 4th. So, I don't know if they are changed dramatically with the new rules set and army book). I used to deal with them by shootin' the small ones and land a heap o' casualties. They only break unless they have no controller units nearby. Then, when I got to my bigger strength weapons, I'd take out the big ones controlling the smaller units and watch them flip out and run away.

I think my favorite remembrance was fighting a Tyranid army and I had an Eversor Assassin. He got mobbed by a large unit of genestealers. He ended up killing half the unit, and when he finally succumbed to his wounds, he blew up (naturally) and wiped out half of what was left. A lone squad of Guardsmen used the few remaining 'stealers for target practice. Pointwise, the assassin more than paid for itself.

More
16 Mar 2012 15:11 #119520 by Bulwyf
If your're set on playing Space Marines, then by all means either buy the AoBR set or try to buy just the models from it off eBay. Even with a new edition coming out I'm pretty sure you'll still be able to use them. From a modeling standpoint SM figures are a lot of fun to paint and work with, but when it comes to games it can get a little tiresome facing all the other SM armies. Personally I shelved my Black Templar army and have focused my efforts on Imperial Guard instead. I have hope that 6th ed won't be the steaming pile of shit that 5th was, but this is GW we're talking about. Their rule sets aren't exactly solid.

-Will

More
16 Mar 2012 15:17 - 16 Mar 2012 15:18 #119521 by Shrieking Emu
I think most of my playing would be against other friends who would get different armies - somewhat like doing a slow grow league together. I'm the only one who has an interest is Space Marines. I don't have much interest in tournaments or playing at the game store.
Last edit: 16 Mar 2012 15:18 by Shrieking Emu.

More
16 Mar 2012 15:59 #119527 by Da Bid Dabid

Rliyen wrote: Word.

And I'm speaking as a Pimp Guard player.

Here comes the threadjack. What faction of guard Rliyen?

Here's my fairly recently heavily converted commander. (dang this is a WIP as he's missing his armband)

As far as waiting for 6th rules. You mentioned you'd be playing just at home with friends not at a local club, which means you'll need at least one rulebook. With all these factors I'd say your best bet is going ahead and buying 2 Black Reach Sets and splitting one with a soon to be Ork player. Then you've dropped minimum $$$ and have a cheap rules + model start and you can go from there.

More
16 Mar 2012 16:19 #119530 by Shrieking Emu
If I understand 40K correctly, the models don't change that often. It's the core rules and codices that define what a model can do. So I could run older models with newer books?

More
16 Mar 2012 16:31 #119533 by Da Bid Dabid
Arghhh lost a longer post. To sum it up.

Yes, there can be changes but mostly unit structure and what type of gear/weapons they use. Playing with friends should allow your group to proxy or use "counts as stuff" but its more fun when models match.

With marines the Black Reach box has pretty basic stuff for the marines and the basic troops will remain relevant in the next edition for sure.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.364 seconds