October 09, 2023
2220 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2440 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

I officially belong here now - Ban from BGG

More
16 Jan 2012 15:41 #113047 by wice

SuperflyTNT wrote: Wice, here's the problem in a nutshell.

NOT OK AT BGG:
USERNAME, you Polish fuck, you're retarded.

OK AT BGG:
USERNAME, I can understand where you're coming from. That being said, I FEEL that you're a little bit outmatched in this conversation. Perhaps it's the fact that you're Polish. And I don't mean that it's because you're from Poland, implying that all Polish are stupid or something, I mean that it's perhaps a language thing.

That's what the problem is. If you call someone a cockwad, you're immediately banned. If you imply that you feel they're being a cockwad, and then back it up with more insult, but not DIRECT insult, you're cool. That's weird.

I'm not sure I understand what your example is meant to say (I'm a Hungarian, maybe it's a language thing, lol), I guess the latter could be perfectly innocent in some situations (e.g. when said Polish user is stubbornly arguing about the usage of an English word and he's obviously wrong) and completely asshole-ish in another (although I cannot think of a case, where "perhaps it's a language thing" would make sense if the commenter wanted to imply that the other person is stupid).

BTW, the moderation on BGG simply just tries to stop flamewars, because they want the site to be about boardgames and not about who's mother is the biggest cunt. Since there are tens of thousands of users on BGG, it's clearly impossible for the moderators to follow every single thread constantly, so they probably have a filter for swear words, that is the clearest indicator of a starting flamewar. It's obvious that you cannot create a filter for every possible kind of insult. But I'm pretty sure I saw people being banned for indulging in personalities, even without using a single "fuck" or "cocksucker" while doing it.

And for the record, THIS is passive-aggressive:

Passive–aggressive behavior is dealing with expectations in interpersonal or occupational situations in an obstructionist or hostile manner that indicates aggression, or, in more general terms, expressing aggression in non-assertive (i.e. passive or indirect) ways.

Which is EXACTLY what Stormy was talking about. He was being insulted without DIRECTLY being insulted.

I don't see any trace of aggression in that comment. It was a fucking joke.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jan 2012 15:50 - 16 Jan 2012 15:50 #113048 by wice
JJ: I seriously have no idea what you are arguing with, but I'm damn sure it's not what I said. On the other hand, I have a slight feeling that you tried to insult me, so here's a friendly "fuck you" (I'm this unimaginative, you see), and let's call it a day.
Last edit: 16 Jan 2012 15:50 by wice.

More
16 Jan 2012 15:59 #113051 by Black Barney
LOL, Wice, YOUR DUMB

I once got perma-banned from a brick&mortar card store cuz a friend of mine said in an online forum that the owners were lesbians. I didn't complain about that even though it was perposterous and very guilty-by-association-ish reminiscent of Nazi Germany. Even though the OP in this case has no real reason to complain about getting banned for a bannable offence, I think it's more fun and appropriate to bitch about these types of bannings. That's me, tho.

More
16 Jan 2012 16:21 #113058 by daveroswell
In the Fortress, under the following users said thank you, can we get a the following users said fuck you section and be done with it? Maybe save some memory on the servers...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fallen

More
16 Jan 2012 16:31 #113060 by OldHippy

wice wrote: JJ: I seriously have no idea what you are arguing with, but I'm damn sure it's not what I said. On the other hand, I have a slight feeling that you tried to insult me, so here's a friendly "fuck you" (I'm this unimaginative, you see), and let's call it a day.

I was just saying that BGG's mod policy does not make things better and that youtube is about the same thing to me. Which is counter to what you said.

The only other point is that any one can shit, but only some can shit well. You seemed to imply that anyone who got banned simply said "fuck you" when in fact it's not like that at all. I've seen several very clever posts that got people banned whereas you seemed to be implying that anyone who was banned had lame cave man insults. I agreed with most everything else you wrote.

Was I trying to insult you? Not really, but I'll take your fuck you and raise you a "LOL your DUMB".

More
16 Jan 2012 16:51 - 16 Jan 2012 16:52 #113065 by Schweig!

wice wrote: In other words: quit bitching about moderation on BGG. If you feel oppressed by not being allowed to say "fuck you, you fucking fuck" (or something equally snappy) in every possible social situation, then it's your fucking problem, not everyone else's.

I once got suspended for this: boardgamegeek.com/article/4828625#4828625

Yes I said fuck and shit but I said it to a guy who was posting revisionist Nazi lies and posting links to anti-Semitic sites and didn't get suspended.
Last edit: 16 Jan 2012 16:52 by Schweig!.

More
16 Jan 2012 17:03 #113066 by wice

JonJacob wrote: I was just saying that BGG's mod policy does not make things better

I don't know how you could possibly know it, was there a time on BGG when there was no moderation? I'm pretty sure it would be one giant piece of shitfest if people wouldn't have to think twice before posting an ad-hominem attack. I say this simply based on my experience: I frequent many moderated and non-moderated forums on the internet: the difference is plain to see.

and that youtube is about the same thing to me.

It may has something to do with your sample, I guess. There may be a couple of videos, where there is interesting and civil conversation, but in general, YouTube's comment section is legendary for being the playground of juvenile trolls. I seriously don't remember seeing any video there, where I didn't see at least a dozen primitive, aggressive bullshit comment. Racism and sexism is rampant as well.

The only other point is that any one can shit, but only some can shit well. You seemed to imply that anyone who got banned simply said "fuck you" when in fact it's not like that at all. I've seen several very clever posts that got people banned whereas you seemed to be implying that anyone who was banned had lame cave man insults. I agreed with most everything else you wrote.

I didn't imply anything like that. I just reacted to the general sentiment, that the problem with BGG is, that you can insult others indirectly, but not directly. "Fuck you, you fucking fuck" was just an example of a direct insult; I also said "(or something equally snappy)". Feel free to complete the list of possible ad-hominem attacks with everything you can think of, including "you are not the sharpest lightbulb in the kitchen, are you?" and "your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries".

In general, I think it's fairly reasonable that people get banned on BGG for a while, if they go ad-hominem, and either refuse to stop or make it clear from the beginning that they do it despite being fully aware that they are offending the rules of the site. You, personally, may find some of the bans an overreaction, but I'm pretty sure that it's impossible to moderate a site in a way that everyone finds satisfying all the time.

More
16 Jan 2012 17:23 - 16 Jan 2012 17:31 #113071 by wice

Schweig! wrote:

wice wrote: In other words: quit bitching about moderation on BGG. If you feel oppressed by not being allowed to say "fuck you, you fucking fuck" (or something equally snappy) in every possible social situation, then it's your fucking problem, not everyone else's.

I once got suspended for this: boardgamegeek.com/article/4828625#4828625

Yes I said fuck and shit but I said it to a guy who was posting revisionist Nazi lies and posting links to anti-Semitic sites and didn't get suspended.

I tried to find his nazi and anti-semitic posts you mention, but no success. In some comment he even writes "I agree that glorifying nazism is an insult to the victims of nazism.". Are you sure it was him? All I see is that he reacted to your post, misinterpreting it as an attempt to white-washing the Soviet war-crimes. You started to clarify it, saying that just because you are anti-nazi, it doesn't mean you are a communist. Then, you snapped, in the very same comment. Maybe you could have waited for an answer?

EDIT: Your first comment was a reply to "Filippo Chiari", the second was to "piotrveliki". Is it possible you didn't realize you were answering to two different users?
Last edit: 16 Jan 2012 17:31 by wice.

More
16 Jan 2012 19:02 #113082 by OldHippy

wice wrote: I don't know how you could possibly know it, was there a time on BGG when there was no moderation? I'm pretty sure it would be one giant piece of shitfest if people wouldn't have to think twice before posting an ad-hominem attack. I say this simply based on my experience: I frequent many moderated and non-moderated forums on the internet: the difference is plain to see.

It may has something to do with your sample, I guess. There may be a couple of videos, where there is interesting and civil conversation, but in general, YouTube's comment section is legendary for being the playground of juvenile trolls. I seriously don't remember seeing any video there, where I didn't see at least a dozen primitive, aggressive bullshit comment. Racism and sexism is rampant as well.

I know it doesn't make it better as much as you know it does. It's a moot point. I'm basing it on youtube comments, which I believe are oversold as being offensive. Yes, it's a playground for trolls, racists/sexists and all that. But I prefer that because I immediately know who I'm dealing with and who to ignore, I can't tell that on BGG because everyone is playing some game that hides who they are. But just because there are asshole doesn't mean, even a little bit, that everyone is that way. You can tell immediately who is worth responding to and who isnt' because the system allows you to be whoever you like.

With that freedom it's hard to hide your asshole attitudes. BGG tries to make everyone act in a similar fashion, which is irritating because it's not how I act so I have to couch my opinions in nerd talk. At F:AT your free to type whatever you like and you probably won't get banned (the weeks incident aside) because the group will just muscle you until you cave. The conept of "lotering" is built around that. If you don't like my opinions just be a bully until I stop, that's what it means.

So, it's just a matter of opinion. I like youtube's mod policy best.

More
16 Jan 2012 20:58 - 16 Jan 2012 21:00 #113094 by Notahandle
Another contrast is that TOS moderation is far from consistent, whereas F:ATs peer pressure is surprisingly consistent.
Last edit: 16 Jan 2012 21:00 by Notahandle.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds