This has been discussed in the forums here for a few days now, but I felt an article might be good to collect all the speculation in one place.
Pegasus expansion announced for Battlestar Galactica!
On behalf of the officers and crew of the Pegasus...it's a pleasure to see all of you. Welcome back to the Colonial Fleet.
- Admiral Helena Cain, "Pegasus"
For nearly half a year following the destruction of the Twelve Colonies, the crew of the Battlestar Galactica defended the last remaining human survivors. Then, all at once, salvation appeared in the form of the Battlestar Pegasus. At nearly twice the size of Galactica, with upgraded weapons batteries and a newer, larger fleet of Vipers and Raptors, the fleet was now safer...
...or so they thought.
This fall brings the first expansion for Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game. The Pegasus expansion adds two new supplemental game boards featuring the Battlestar Pegasus and the planet of New Caprica, seven new characters, a new Cylon Locations overlay, two plastic Basestars, as well as new Destination, Crisis, Loyalty, Quorum, Super Crisis, and Skill cards. The new Pegasus board can be used by itself or together with the New Caprica board to create the game you desire – use the Pegasus alone for the additional firepower she provides, or add the New Caprica board to simulate the rebellion on the human colony, bringing the game to an epic level.
New rules introduce the ability to play as a new character type – the Cylon Leader, with a new Treachery Skill card type.
How will the crews of the Galactica and the Pegasus mesh when they join each other on your game table? Will the Cylons be able to subjugate the human rebellion on New Caprica? Will an open Cylon Leader be able to vent the last remaining humans into space, giving the toasters control over the galaxy?
Pegasus will be FTL jumping into your friendly local game store this Fall. Be on the lookout for previews leading up to the expansion's release.
So say we all!
Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game is a semi-cooperative game of politics, betrayal, and survival for 3-6 players, based on the hit SciFi Channel series.
What can I say about this other than WOW? Battlestar Galactica has been a huge hit with the core readership of Fortress:Ameritrash and has also gotten rave reviews on Boardgamegeek. It is on the top 20 at BGG, and is the second highest ranked Ameritrash style game behind War of the Ring.
Here is a list of my observations based on the information in the press release copied above:
1. Miniatures for the basestars. Who didn't want this as soon as they played the game? While not a necessity, this will add a lot to the game's visual appeal.
2. Cylon leader revealed from the start. While not totally clear from the press release, it appears that if you take the Cavil character, you start the game as a revealed cylon. I'm not a devotee of the show, so hopefully someone can talk about how this matches the storyline. From my perspective, it excites me because of how it will change the interactions with the unrevealed cylons. Reading his special ability, it also looks like it will make for a much more military oriented game.
3. New skill cards. Let's face it, the small number of skill cards becomes more boring the more you play, as the hands begin to play themselves a little bit. This isn't a problem for the base game because the social aspects carry the day, but spicing up the gamey side of it will be a welcome addition!
4. New skill card type - treachery cards. These look like a revealed cylon only toy. Making the revealed cylon more interesting to play was one of the things on my wishlist for an expansion, because I felt that once you revealed, the choices weren't that interesting.
5. Sympathetic Cylon. There is a loyalty card which represents a Cylon who is sympathetic to the human side. Can't tell from the photo, but my guess is that this is a card which, if dealt to a first half cylon, turns them into a human for the second half. DEFINITELY injects some interesting things into the game, as even figuring out a cylon in the first half gives you no certainty in the second half. May help the humans a little bit with the chance of eliminating a cylon halfway through, but anything that adds uncertainty tends to help the cylons as a general rule.
6. New modular boards, new everything else. Just what you would expect, and just what the game needs to add a little spice to the gamey side, as opposed to the social side of the game.
So who is going to GenCon so they can report back on this as soon as possible? I know there is no release date, but FFG would be silly not to rush this and have it out by GenCon. If not, we will probably be waiting until closer to Christmas.