October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Let's Talk Silver Tower

More
13 Oct 2016 15:44 #236102 by Columbob
Replied by Columbob on topic Let's Talk Silver Tower

JEM wrote: I don't want to detract too much from the subject, but in the last dungeon crawl game I played (Shadows of Brimstone) we had characters lagging behind and others running ahead to reveal new rooms mid-fight because there's a built in timer on the missions (a kind of Doom Track) and we had to book it. Characters and enemies also all activate in strict initiative order, so you might want one character to do something after another, but they go before. Now, SoB is basically a xerox copy of the old Warhammer Quest, but I don't know if those were or were not in the old game.

Same thing with the coop Descent scenarios and Road to Legend. And the D&D games have you explore at the end of your turn, so monsters get to go before they're attacked (unless you're Drizz't).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Oct 2016 22:21 - 13 Oct 2016 22:24 #236136 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Let's Talk Silver Tower

Mr. White wrote: Apparently, a new female hero has been added to the app. Too recent to be in that card pack though.

www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Sylvaneth-B...h?_requestid=1105984

Last edit: 13 Oct 2016 22:24 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons, RabidWookie

More
14 Oct 2016 09:04 #236148 by Mr. White
I love these sort of displays. Reminds me of the Heroquest and Space Hulk displays that would be in WD back in the day. I'd pour over the images repeatedly.

inquisitorczevak.blogspot.com/2016/10/wa...r-tower-diorama.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob, Colorcrayons

More
17 Oct 2016 07:51 #236274 by Mr. White
Here's a guy who did some pretty amazing conversions on his set. Makes the game look like it came from the 80s. Very gonzo and Realm of Chaos like.

bigbossredskullz.wordpress.com/category/whq/

The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, Colorcrayons

More
17 Oct 2016 08:53 #236281 by Mr. White
ProTip: Paint the Fyreslayer Doomseeker's hair white. The same model can now double as Grombrindal from the September White Dwarf.

More
19 Oct 2016 08:19 #236463 by Mr. White
Many people have expressed disappointment in WHQ:ST not having the 'town shopping' feature of the original WHQ. I can understand that. From a role-playing background, inventory and cash management is part of the fun. However, due to the nature of the (very cool) Silver Tower setting...I'm not sure that sort of feature belongs.

That said, the may need to be a little more added to give us the facade of that 'campaign' feel, but maybe something outside the box...not dealing with shop owners and their stocks.

I'm thinking about the Conan tales...I don't recall him worrying about encumbrance, but at the same time he sort of had a character arc over the tales. I wonder if there's some I can put in place to help give a career narrative to these characters that is within the experience of exploring the Silver Tower, but doesn't require retail therapy.

More
19 Oct 2016 16:12 #236504 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, there's no retail district in the Silver Tower...

I like that stuff, but I don't really miss it. Most games don't have it. Descent tried, and it was dumb.

You do have a narrative arc as you get skills/treasures, so that is in place. No encumbrance though. It is actually kind of nice that the game isn't full of +1 swords.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
19 Oct 2016 16:44 #236513 by Mr. White
You have all the extras, correct?

How are you storing the game? Any minis in the core box or are all the minis in something else?

More
22 Oct 2016 10:03 #236683 by Mr. White
Well, since I've split the Branchwych and Bittergrub into two models now the character needs a few new rules, so I’ve cooked up the following looking at the orginal Branchwych Silver Tower character, her Age of Sigmar Warscroll, and the Silver Tower Warpriest. I’ve reduced her stats, but gave her a weak area attack to reflect her more wizardly nature…using a spell she has in Age of Sigmar.

Branchwych
Move 5
Agility 4+
Save 5+

Weapon Actions
Fury of the Forest (1+) range-combat to hit-2+ damage-1
Greenwood Scythe (4+) range-combat to hit-3+ damage-d3
Unleash Spites (6+) range-area to hit-5+ damage-1

Abilities
Quick Tempered (stays the same)
Command (2+) (this is like the Warpriest)

Traits (stays the same)
Reknown (stays the same)
Bittergrub (acts as a pet like the gryph-hound)
Move – 3
Agility – 4+
Vigour – 1

Bittergrub Rules: If you have not made a Command (2+) action by the end of your turn, roll on the behavior table to see what the Bittergrub does.

1-2 HIDE: Move the Bittergrub towards the Branchwych. If the Bittergrub ends its movement adjacent to the Branchwych, place the model on the Branchwych’s card. (Note: this pays tribute to the Bittergrub model initially riding on the back of the Branchwych model as well as the nature of insects to generally scurry for cover.)

3-4 DEFEND: Like the gryph-hound action of the same name.

5-6 MANDIBLES: Like the gryph-hound action HUNT.

If it’s been knocked out – Move the model somewhere off the board, move to Branchwych card during Respite.

If it’s in hiding/spawning during Respite – Put the model on the Branchwych card, place adjacent to Branchwych as first space on DEFEND or MANDIBLES action. (This is how the BitterGrub moves back into the game.)

More
24 Oct 2016 10:48 - 24 Oct 2016 11:00 #236767 by Mr. White
(Copying these videos from the 'Youtube' thread)

Originally, I viewed these as entertainment, but on a second pass this weekend I thought they should be included here. Beyond this guy's schtick, he seems to provide deeper analysis than most 'unboxing' videos. His observations on the Silver Tower's art and commentary on the characters across the HeroQuest lineage are worth a viewing. He clearly loves this line of games and has a lot of experience with them.

Last edit: 24 Oct 2016 11:00 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, birdman37, stoic

More
21 Nov 2016 08:05 #238842 by Mr. White
Neat little interview with the creative staff. I believe this may have come from an issue of White Dwarf.

www.warhammer-community.com/2016/10/31/architects-of-fate/

More
21 Nov 2016 09:00 #238847 by drewcula
Replied by drewcula on topic Let's Talk Silver Tower
Bardic Broadcasts cracks me up. His 6 min video of Heroquest is simply put - perfect. #insidejokes
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
21 Nov 2016 10:09 #238852 by barrowdown
Replied by barrowdown on topic Let's Talk Silver Tower
I, uh, ... um... just traded my unassembled copy away for Burning of Prospero minus the Custodes and Sisters so I have even more Heresy-era armor.

More
21 Nov 2016 10:21 - 21 Nov 2016 10:25 #238855 by Colorcrayons

drewcula wrote: Bardic Broadcasts cracks me up. His 6 min video of Heroquest is simply put - perfect. #insidejokes

I really wish he was more prolific on you tube.
Anyone that loves heroquest as much as he is a true F:ATie.
Last edit: 21 Nov 2016 10:25 by Colorcrayons.

More
12 Dec 2016 14:09 #240384 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Let's Talk Silver Tower
I have only played Silver Tower once, but I came up with a possible variant: team vs team. Make a custom scenario for Silver Tower for two groups, say 3 or 4 players on each side. Create a card pile of an odd number of specific rooms that are all of comparable challenge. Let's say nine rooms for example. Make sure that the ninth room has multiple entrances and set that one aside. Each team will battle through the same number of rooms, and the ninth room will connect to the fourth room that each team encountered. The two teams will battle it out in the final room for the win. This would put pressure on both teams to level up, gain loot, and keep everybody alive.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds