October 09, 2023
2424 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2632 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
30 Dec 2015 12:41 #218617 by charlest

Gary Sax wrote: Though to be fair I wouldn't want to have to play so many new games constantly, sounds stressful.

As Barnes has talked about in the past, there certainly are downsides. I've assembled and painted up the starting survivors and White Lion for Kingdom Death but haven't had an opportunity to play it with my group. It looks like it'd play well solo but it's one my buddies would really enjoy. It may be months now until I get to it.

Also have a copy of Pandemic Legacy I bought still in shrink. Probably shouldn't have but the hype got me. Will probably be months until I get to this as well.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Dec 2015 12:46 #218621 by Gary Sax
It's pretty good so far, you should devote a few sessions to it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
30 Dec 2015 12:52 #218623 by Chapel
Last week, played several games of Codenames with the family. They loved it. Also played Outburst.

Played Food Chain Magnate at the pub with some friends. Game is wickedly brutal, and I liked it. I won by slowly running the bank, while not taking any highly paid executive. Interesting strategy.

And played 7 Wonders and Splendor at work several times

More
30 Dec 2015 13:36 #218633 by wesbaker

charlest wrote: The new version of Fire and Axe: A Viking Saga is great. Really enjoy this game as a streamlined simulation with some chaos. All of the Viking games this year (BR, Fire and Axe, and Champions of Midgard) feel very different.

I haven't heard too much about this one lately. Can we expect a review at some point?

More
30 Dec 2015 14:06 #218636 by charlest

wesbaker wrote:

charlest wrote: The new version of Fire and Axe: A Viking Saga is great. Really enjoy this game as a streamlined simulation with some chaos. All of the Viking games this year (BR, Fire and Axe, and Champions of Midgard) feel very different.

I haven't heard too much about this one lately. Can we expect a review at some point?

Yes sir, pretty soon. Have three plays in of it now. Talked about it on the podcast as well which is being uploaded tonight.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wesbaker

More
30 Dec 2015 15:33 #218649 by Gary Sax
Man, I really want to play my copy of Food Chain Magnate, but it's one of those on my shelf but will not play unless I decide to hit a con type games.

More
30 Dec 2015 15:54 - 30 Dec 2015 15:54 #218652 by Josh Look
Someone on here said that Warhammer Quest ACG was easy. I don't remember who that was, but that person is either playing the game wrong or they're a no good fucking goddamned liar.
Last edit: 30 Dec 2015 15:54 by Josh Look.

More
30 Dec 2015 17:27 - 30 Dec 2015 17:29 #218664 by SuperFlySwatter
I played PIE FACE and much fun was had.
Last edit: 30 Dec 2015 17:29 by SuperFlySwatter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
30 Dec 2015 18:54 #218675 by Michael Barnes

Josh Look wrote: Someone on here said that Warhammer Quest ACG was easy. I don't remember who that was, but that person is either playing the game wrong or they're a no good fucking goddamned liar.

I said it was easy after the first game or two, because I stormed through it. But I think I was doing a couple of things wrong, probably missed a step or two. It definitely gets more difficult, especially on the Delve mode.

More
30 Dec 2015 19:36 #218678 by Josh Look
How many characters are you running?

More
30 Dec 2015 19:40 #218679 by Michael Barnes
I like two solo...I did play a couple of four player games with human bodies and they were fine, but this is one of those games that really kind of plays just as well alone. With three or four solo, it gets a little messy keeping up with everything and it doesn't really affect anything other than giving you eight more action cards to consider and more to track.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD

More
30 Dec 2015 20:04 - 30 Dec 2015 20:05 #218683 by Disgustipater
Played my second game of Ogre as the defense. This time I managed to take out the Ogre's treads before he got halfway up the board. It was at that point that my opponent questioned how attacking works. For whatever reason (vague Pocket Edition rules?), I thought that the checkboxes for the Ogre's weapons were hit points, with one attack per weapon. We came to realize that you get one attack per box.

Last edit: 30 Dec 2015 20:05 by Disgustipater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Black Barney, san il defanso, Erik Twice, Feelitmon

More
31 Dec 2015 08:44 #218710 by Black Barney
Played SMASH UP and won in a four player setting. That game takes too damn long

More
31 Dec 2015 09:38 #218716 by Egg Shen

Josh Look wrote: Someone on here said that Warhammer Quest ACG was easy. I don't remember who that was, but that person is either playing the game wrong or they're a no good fucking goddamned liar.

The game is pretty difficult. It's also one of those games where it's really easy to forget a rule or fuck something up. I missed two pretty big things that helped make the game a bit easier.

1) When your heroes take turns activating enemies there are two things to remember: First enemies don't inflict their damage unless they actually have the keyword "inflict" on them. Totally missed that the first time. Next if they're in the shadows and they have the "inflict" keyword they only damage the hero that activated them. I totally buggered this up on my first couple of run-throughs.

2) During your hero's turn if you can exhaust an enemy it does two things. First, the exhausted enemy can be ignored when you perform an action. So if you're doing an attack action against two enemies and one of them is exhausted...you only need to roll the black die for the un-exhausted enemy. Again, something I missed. The other more obvious thing is that they don't attack/act when activated.

When I've soloed the game I only use two heroes. Using anymore than that just leads to forgetting which character already acted and whatnot. I do think which heroes you bring makes a big difference on the difficultly level. I've been having pretty good luck with the archer and the priest.

Oh, another small easy rule that I missed was getting treasure when exploring. When you reveal a dungeon card if it has a little gold coin in the bottom lefthand corner you get to draw from the treasure/item deck. Basically, during my first couple of sessions I fucked up everything.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, aaxiom, Hadik

More
31 Dec 2015 12:18 #218729 by iguanaDitty

Black Barney wrote: Played SMASH UP and won in a four player setting. That game takes too damn long

By which I assume you mean your game took about 5 minutes.

(Yes, it does)

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.081 seconds