October 09, 2023
2488 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2689 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
30 Jan 2018 14:47 #262541 by bronb

hotseatgames wrote: I was perusing Sandy Petersen's latest Kickstarter, and it's not grabbing me.

Same here. I found this amusing as well as stupid:
"Our minis are 28mm scale*.
*Human sized figures are 28mm from foot to eyes.
WHAT THIS MEANS IS EVERY HUMAN SIZED MINI IS AT LEAST 35mm TALL!"
Fucking idiotic definition just to make the figures even more pointlessly huge...
Not backing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2018 15:00 #262542 by charlest
That's exactly how scale is traditionally measured, from foot to eyes. They're clarifying because some mini manufacturers have gotten away from that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, Colorcrayons, bronb

More
30 Jan 2018 20:48 #262548 by Cranberries

hotseatgames wrote: I was perusing Sandy Petersen's latest Kickstarter, and it's not grabbing me. But what DID grab me was the "back of the box" quote for Cthulhu Wars by a "Michael Barnes" down at the bottom of the page. www.kickstarter.com/projects/1816687860/planet-apocalypse

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes

More
31 Jan 2018 13:35 #262574 by bronb
@charlest. Really? I was told it was top of head. Obviously wrongly told. Makes their saying "AT LEAST 35mm TALL!" unnecessary. Still not backing. If TOSSERS are swarming all over it then it will likely be too Euro for me.

More
31 Jan 2018 13:38 #262575 by Gary Sax
New Xia kickstarter. Almost all old stuff, a mini expansion that's new if you want to pay 15 dollars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Frohike

More
31 Jan 2018 17:23 #262595 by lj1983
well, here we go again, I'll back and wait about 10 days before cancelling. for the third time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
01 Feb 2018 09:15 #262612 by charlest

bronb wrote: @charlest. Really? I was told it was top of head. Obviously wrongly told. Makes their saying "AT LEAST 35mm TALL!" unnecessary. Still not backing. If TOSSERS are swarming all over it then it will likely be too Euro for me.

Yes, that's how it's traditionally measured. Many manufacturers now a days get away from it, however, so I assume that's why they spelled it out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bronb

More
02 Feb 2018 00:02 #262652 by davydee
Hey guys,

I'm seriously considering getting in on the Nemesis KS. For those of you who pledged, did you just get the core box or did you go all in for the Terrain expansion? For about $50 Cnd extra you seem to get just a bit of stuff like plastic doors - not sure if it's worth it.. At the same time I don't want to have any regrets at the end of it and say, "Jeez, I wish of would've gotten that expansion with those awesome looking doors..."

cheers

More
02 Feb 2018 09:12 #262657 by hotseatgames
I am just in for the base game and the comic book. The terrain expansion doesn't seem like it adds much, unlike the one in Lords of Hellas. And the carnomorphs are too expensive, for a game that already has enough stuff in it without them. Just my opinion, of course.

More
02 Feb 2018 09:25 #262660 by charlest

hotseatgames wrote: I am just in for the base game and the comic book. The terrain expansion doesn't seem like it adds much, unlike the one in Lords of Hellas. And the carnomorphs are too expensive, for a game that already has enough stuff in it without them. Just my opinion, of course.

Same. I'm not likely to play the game enough to justify anything more than the comic book add-on (which is way too cool to ignore).

More
02 Feb 2018 09:26 #262662 by Sagrilarus

davydee wrote: Hey guys,
For about $50 Cnd extra you seem to get just a bit of stuff like plastic doors - not sure if it's worth it.. At the same time I don't want to have any regrets . . .
cheers

Buy a case of Moosehead and a bottle of Lot 40 with that $50 instead and I think any regrets will seem quite distant.

Here's the thing with Kickstarter now. Anything marked "exclusive" is assuredly going to be available in the aftermarket. People are buying just for the sake of having it to sell later. In the rare case that a bling-up is not available for a reasonable price you'll likely not care all that much, and if you do you'll spend the few extra bucks to get it.

Meanwhile, it's hard to ignore the value of a reasonably priced, fine rye whiskey. That's good use of your money.

Unless you're rich. Then buy all of it.

S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
02 Feb 2018 09:30 #262663 by jpat
So ... I can safely ignore the Xia Kickstarter if I already have Firefly and M&M, right? Right?

More
02 Feb 2018 12:10 - 02 Feb 2018 12:14 #262685 by Gary Sax
Yeah, probably. Kind if depends what you like. It is way different than m&m in that it is VASTLY more forgiving. It is cutthroat and has tons of opportunities to torpedo each other but the consequences are not as immense.

For me, it fired Firefly because it does a lot of what it does and I think is more fun and open ended. But that's down to how much you like Firefly. I've talked about the game a lot around here in various places and since I've been playing it the last month or two a fair amount here:

Xia is a pretty goofy experience game. To give you a sense of the spirit, last game 3/4 of the way through an event card came up that had the players drop everything and do a race to touch as many points as possible for big vp rewards.

The expansion is well worth it, it's better designed than the base in some ways. Even if you don't get it, download its rules and play with the new economy board using a proxy. Critical fix.
Last edit: 02 Feb 2018 12:14 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat, Frohike

More
05 Feb 2018 16:44 #262895 by Legomancer
I went ahead and backed Xia, the whole shebang. I've been hemming and hawing about whether or not to get it, and each time I waffle about and ultimately decide not to and then it all happens again. I figure if I go ahead and buy the damn thing, I'll at least be able to let future chances to do so pass me by.

And who knows? Maybe I'll be able to get it played!

More
05 Feb 2018 17:04 - 05 Feb 2018 17:05 #262900 by Gary Sax
It's a fun game if you aren't looking for something super tight. You'll probably be able to sell it for a decent amount if you don't like it.
Last edit: 05 Feb 2018 17:05 by Gary Sax.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.319 seconds