October 09, 2023
2692 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2859 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

[PbF] Funnel World!

More
26 Nov 2013 13:02 #166019 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Re: [PbF] Funnel World!
Arkif

That seems unusual. I'll go see what the shiny is. Maybe a coin or button or something.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Nov 2013 13:17 #166020 by Jason Lutes
Replied by Jason Lutes on topic Re: [PbF] Funnel World!
At this point I should point out two important things about rolls:

Job skills: As Villagers, whenever you spout lore or discern realities about anything that could be arguably related to your occupation, you take +1 to that roll. So in the cases above, Arkif and Brother Thunke are arguably making rolls related to their respective occupations—Arkif is looking for clues, something a constable probably does on a regular basis; and Brother Thunke is trying to understand religious architecture, about which he would have some knowledge, since he is a monk. I will try to remember to apply these modifiers, but it is mainly on you to point to their potential application. We will not go back and amend rolls after a result has been declared. Thankfully, applying +1 to both Arkif's and Brother Thunke's rolls above would not alter the results.

Burning Luck: Before you make any 2d6 move roll, you may choose to "burn Luck" to apply a +1 or -1 modifier to that roll. You must declare that you are burning Luck before you make the roll in question, and mark off 1 point of Luck. Then, if the modified move roll is a 6 or less, you lose an additional 1d4 points of Luck. Luck is regenerated at a rate of 1 point each full moon, and may not go over your basic Luck ability score.

It's important to note that, when a bad thing has an equal chance of happening to one of one or more characters, it will happen to the character with the lowest Luck. If, for instance, a boulder falls from a height toward a group of, say 3 characters, it will hit the character with the lowest Luck (unless he or she can get out of the way).

More
26 Nov 2013 19:53 #166070 by Jason Lutes
Illdauga and Hafle
Arkif seems to notice something off to the right, and turns abruptly to go investigate.

Do you follow him?

More
27 Nov 2013 21:00 - 27 Nov 2013 21:01 #166204 by the_jake_1973
Illdauga

My thoughts on lave flow patterns are interrupted my Arkif's sudden movement. To her, he is a pretty intelligent guy and one of the men she has not disliked on sight. His interest has piqued hers and she moves over to join him.

Hafle

Why is this trumped up acolyte ignoring me? I thought monks were all for offering guidance to ones seeking it. "Brother Thunke, do you think that helping to consecrate a site like this would help forgive a life of misdeeds? I ask merely out of curiosity."
Hafle does not follow Arkif.
Last edit: 27 Nov 2013 21:01 by the_jake_1973.

More
27 Nov 2013 23:00 #166212 by Jason Lutes
Fride
• What here is useful or valuable to me?

Picking through the stones, you find a place where the rubble is shallow enough to allow you to clear a small space and reveal the flagstones that comprised the floor of the tower. Notably, the floor is not covered by lava, which tells you that before the tower collapsed it must have been strong enough to keep out the molten rock.

More interestingly, though, you find the edge of an opening in the floor. It's completely choked with stones and debris—so much that it would take many hours if not days to clear—but you can only assume it indicates a stairwell or trapdoor hole that leads down into a cellar or basement of some kind.

• What should I be on the lookout for?

This entire area has clearly been subjected to some powerful forces, and the passage of many years has likely further weakened the things here built by men; if there are in fact tunnels or subterranean rooms of any sort beneath the Fell, you estimate that the danger of a sinkhole or sudden collapse is very real.

• What happened here recently?

There is no sign of a human having set foot in this ruined tower. Many of the stones are covered with an ochre lichen common on the mountainside, and none of it is disturbed. In one sheltered nook where the floor meets the wall of the tower you find a mass of dry grass and sticks that indicates the nest of some small animal, but there is no sign of any recent activity.

What do you do?

Arkif and Illdauga
You make your way over to the mouth of the former alley to get a closer look at the swell of black rock protruding from it. Illdauga, that damnable woodswoman who never speaks, breaks from the rest of the group to follow you.

About four feet off the ground, a tiny speck of silver shows through the porous stuff. Bending over to inspect it, you see a piece of metal no larger than a fingertip, sticking out just slightly from the surrounding rock. It appears to be the only visible part of something larger embedded within.

Suddenly, Illdauga grips your arm and yanks you a step back. Annoyed, you turn to berate her but then see that her face is solemn, and her gaze intense. You follow it back to the mass of lava, and a chill grips your bowels as you see what she sees: the rough surface of the black floe is not just porous rock. You see skulls, ribs, a mass of bones pressed to the surface—a frozen flood of skeletons, black as the rock and locked within it.

When you inspect the lava floe, you see the countless dead trapped within; roll +WIS:

10+: You have seen worse things (describe them).
7-9: You are filled with dread. Take -1 forward.
6-: Mark XP, and the GM makes a move.

Both Arkif and Illdauga should make this roll and report the result. If you roll 10+, after you report the result, describe the worse thing(s) you have seen.

More
27 Nov 2013 23:28 #166215 by the_jake_1973
Illdauga

An unearthly moan escapes her mutilated mouth as Illdauga's eyes settle upon a partially exposed ribcage and the impossibly small skeleton curled below the last blackened rib. Tears do not fall from her eyes, but the grief is tangible.

She rolled a 6 BTW.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jason Lutes

More
27 Nov 2013 23:44 #166220 by Dr. Mabuse
Replied by Dr. Mabuse on topic Re: [PbF] Funnel World!
Fride
Slowly and carefully I move toward the abandoned nest in an attempt to grab a handful of sticks and dried grass. (good to start fires with doncha know).

More
28 Nov 2013 05:59 #166241 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Re: [PbF] Funnel World!
Arkif

2d6+0=10

For a brief moment I am back on the field of battle, spear clenched in my hands, helm slipping down over my sweaty brow. The screams of men and horses. The frenzy fueled by rage and fear.....

Then I am back looking at the river of bones trapped in black.

I have seen death before. These at least do not stink and are silent.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jason Lutes

More
28 Nov 2013 12:36 #166275 by DukeofChutney
Brother Thunke

Ignoring the wailing of that feeble woman I set forth northward into the temple proper. I continue to prod the volcanic detritus on the floor. I wish to find the Abbots office and determine if any information can be gleamed from its remains, or any passage to the vaulted store rooms that might lie beneath.

Ligri

I hear the sorrow of tongueless woman. I will go and see what saddens her, perhaps i can cheer her.

More
28 Nov 2013 12:45 #166277 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re: [PbF] Funnel World!
I've got a question---so when one of our fellow folks finds something out, do we assume that the character shares the information with the rest of us? Or do we need to wait for them to share it with the group explicitly?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThirstyMan

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.314 seconds