October 09, 2023
2514 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2712 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Ares Games - Battle of Five Armies is coming

More
15 Dec 2014 18:25 #192819 by Hex Sinister
Crickets...

I thought this title would get a lot more attention around here. I blame the ERP. No, but seriously, does it stink or what? Middle Earth O.D'ed?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Dec 2014 19:20 #192821 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, it really did hit with a resounding...*puff*

I think some of it is definitely ME fatigue...despite the Hobbit movies (and possibly because of them), Tolkien properties are kind of on the wane in gaming and elsewhere. It's all material that is WELL covered, and for a lot of folks War of the Ring is still very much a currently played game. There's also the issue that there are simply so many games vying for attention and money (thanks a lot, Kickstarter) that something massive has to come out like Imperial Assault for it to really register. There's _not_ really been a game like that with that setting, which is in contrast to Bo5A.

I haven't heard any chatter about it at all, and no one in my immediate circle even bought it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister

More
15 Dec 2014 20:48 #192822 by charlest
I'm enjoying it. I dig the War of the Ring action dice thing and the battles can be pretty tense. The characters on the Free people side are interesting and really change up the feel of the game with their abilities.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister

More
15 Dec 2014 22:14 #192827 by Josh Look
If I don't get it for Christmas, I will be afterward.

More
16 Dec 2014 03:10 #192832 by jur
I did have a look at it at Spiel. There were several reasons it didn't whip me into a frenzy:

- it looks and feels very much like Battles of Middle Earth: the board, the minis, the rules
- I still have only played BoME only once or twice
- level of action: Bot5A is really only the battle plain, while BoME has Rohan. Difference between tactical and strategic choices. The balance in the Rohan scenarion for the bad guys between mobilisation and combat is very good. Not sure the decisions in Bot5A will be as interesting
- 65-80 euro price tag (depending on language version)

so I passed but may be tempted when price goes down and opportunity to play it goes up

More
16 Dec 2014 05:52 #192834 by KingPut
I liked the battles of Middle Earth but I only played twice because if I'm going to play battles of middle earth I might as well play War of the Ring. If I wasn't buying a Crokinole board for Christmas I might have bought 5 armies or catacombs.

More
16 Dec 2014 05:56 #192835 by jur
BoME is a different beast than WotR.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
16 Dec 2014 13:43 #192877 by Msample
I've played it a couple times. Never played the two battle games from Battle of the Third Age expansion from WotR. Overall, I like it, as its a bit shorter than WotR. It lacks the epic scope and play variability of WotR, but it can also play faster and set up/take down faster. Mechanically, I think its also a bit simpler.

I do agree with Barnes though that perhaps the Tolkein license may be getting a bit played out as of late. In combination with WotR being a long standing classic in the eyes of many players, I can see where this one gets sort of lost in the shuffle.

More
17 Dec 2014 15:02 #192930 by Hex Sinister
Yeah, it does kind of seem like an odd release I suppose. Could be interesting to hear opinions from someone who's never played War of the Ring. (Or if that even matters since everybody already has and thus has a bias.)

Anyway, if this would have come out two years ago I would have been all over it. For whatever reason there is no sense of urgency at this point. A lack of raves or any buzz at all doesn't help.

More
17 Dec 2014 15:41 #192934 by charlest

Hex Sinister wrote: Yeah, it does kind of seem like an odd release I suppose. Could be interesting to hear opinions from someone who's never played War of the Ring. (Or if that even matters since everybody already has and thus has a bias.)

Anyway, if this would have come out two years ago I would have been all over it. For whatever reason there is no sense of urgency at this point. A lack of raves or any buzz at all doesn't help.

I have never played War of the Ring (*ducks*) and like Battle of Five Armies. I like the action dice system and the card play is interesting. It's a very tactical game with strategic considerations but you have to go where the game takes you, making the best of your situation.

The heroes are the best part as there's tons of flavor and reverence to the source material. They all have interesting abilities and have a solid and enjoyable effect on the game. The game also feels pretty good with the Shadow player kind of flowing into the valley or down the mountains and trying to overwhelm but on a clock before the Free People heavy hitters arrive. Beorn is scary.

My main problem is that I don't often get to play 2 player games and I really wish this would have been 3 or 4 player. I think I will keep it in my collection but it has to compete with Queen's Gambit, Claustrophobia, and Twilight Struggle in that regard.

It's a good game but I think what really stands to push it over the edge is your attachment to the Hobbit. It's very evocative of its theme and there's lots of little touches that pay homage.

I will be reviewing this fully, just a matter of time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, Hex Sinister

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.735 seconds