October 09, 2023
2598 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2792 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Let's Talk Solitaire.....

More
14 Jul 2014 20:50 #182257 by ChristopherMD
I play Klondike sometimes.

Nemo's War is cool. Also waiting for the deluxe version.

That's all. I don't play a lot of solo games. Although I could see pulling out Arkham or Crusoe someday.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2014 20:59 #182258 by madwookiee
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Sentinels of the Multiverse - I've been playing the hell out of that lately. Scratches the same itch as LotR but without the deckbuilding. I play with three heroes and just manage separate hands for each.

I also like the Archipelago solo expansion. I wouldn't buy Archipelago purely for solo play, but the expansion is a fun add if you already have it.

More
15 Jul 2014 00:36 #182260 by Applejack
I think I like solo games more than I actually do. Seeing a game with a solitaire option is definitely a draw for me, because I feel as though the game is more likely to get played, even if it's just by myself. Here's some games I enjoy solo that haven't been mentioned yet;

DungeonQuest - "Welp, I died. Guess I'll do it again!"

Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt - Who needs a DM to play a little D&D?

Elder Sign - Like Arkham Horror or Eldritch Horror, but takes up less table space and gets right to the good part… the dice rolling. It's a little easy if you can get a monsters-for-items economy going, but supposedly the expansion makes the game harder. A good thing I think.

Friday - A tough little card game about getting Robinson Crusoe off an island filled with dangers. Once off the island, you have to fight pirates. Then more pirates. Life's not easy being a castaway.

K2 - It's hard climbing one of the world's tallest and most deadly mountains, even if you have the whole thing to yourself.

Onirim and Urbion - Abstract, almost trippy experience of escaping a dreamscape. Looking forward to the upcoming Castellion and Sylvion games.

DVG and VPG both make many great solitaire titles, they kinda specialize in them.

More
15 Jul 2014 06:24 - 15 Jul 2014 06:25 #182263 by ThirstyMan
Magic Realm is a good idea. I have that.

I'm not impressed with DVG or VPG for the solitaire gamer.

VPG are too simple with no real choices to make and over within 30 minutes (a big no, no for me). DVGs are just repetitive and pretty trivial, not a wealth of story there at all.

Seems like both those companies churn out solitaire games with no real understanding of what a solitaire gamer really wants. They need to be as immersive as a full on multiplayer and, with those two companies, they are not. I know there's a market there but it needs some careful development to make a really good solo game.

There are lots of suggestions here, so plenty to keep me going.

Elder Sign is just Yahtzee for Cthulhu isn't it? Sounds fucking boring.
Last edit: 15 Jul 2014 06:25 by ThirstyMan.

More
15 Jul 2014 08:51 #182266 by san il defanso
I've only played Elder Sign in its app form on my Kindle, and I love it there. But I think it might have just enough piddly crap to keep track of to be irritating in real life. Great solo game on a tablet though.

More
15 Jul 2014 10:49 - 15 Jul 2014 14:02 #182281 by Cranberries

Gary Sax wrote: Yeah, you should wait for the reprint. The manual will probably make more sense and have fewer holes.

I briefly owned Fields of Fire and created bound versions of 2-3 revisions of the existing manual, so you might save a little money if you buy a used copy (unless the hoarding has begun) and then printing the new rules when they are released.

I played my firts game of Incursion semi-solo. My ten-year-old daughter was walking by and so she stopped and played the Allies for a few turns. I'm looking forward to the meatier scenarios. So much easier to understand than Earth Reborn.

edit: It looks like the carpet baggers are trying to cash in.
Last edit: 15 Jul 2014 14:02 by Cranberries.

More
15 Jul 2014 15:24 - 15 Jul 2014 15:30 #182299 by ThirstyMan
Navajo Wars is a bit like crack for me at the moment. I must be playing at least 8 hours a day. I finally eked a major victory out against the bastard Spanish and the Inquisition. Played around 10 games so far.

It's actually three games (which can be joined together for a monster game). The first is against the Spanish Conquistadors, the second against the Mexican government and the third against the Americans. I'm still dealing with the Spanish.

Finally got it into my thick skull that the key to winning is pushing their morale down by evading all their raids and some selective ambushes, during their raids, deep in the mountains where we can really fuck the Spanish over. If the Apaches attack, this can be quite easy as every turn the Spanish morale drops due to them being super concerned about subjugating everyone else and less concerned about me.

Cunning is a great tech to have as it screws with the order the Spanish do their actions. In other words, you can draw them into the mountains, when you want to, and then shit all over them.

I like that avoiding action is as good as shooting them all in the face. I particularly enjoy burning churches (but I always have). When you do that, your culture (Navajo) rises which is a good thing. The more culture you have, the more incentive there is to swap this for military power and then the occupiers don't have a prayer or a church in which to say them.

Highly recommended.
Last edit: 15 Jul 2014 15:30 by ThirstyMan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, bfkiller, VonTush, Gregarius

More
15 Jul 2014 18:58 #182307 by Gregarius
I love to hear about people enjoying Navajo Wars. I was in the P500, but after struggling though the tutorial game I realized it just wasn't for me and sold it. I loved the theme and really respected the design, but I knew that I didn't have the right kind of mind to really enjoy it.

More
16 Jul 2014 01:14 #182314 by Cranberries

Gregarius wrote: I knew that I didn't have the right kind of mind to really enjoy it.

Having purchased and resold Hornet Leader and Fields of Fire, I can relate to this statement. Nemo's War I can handle. I keep lying to myself about heavier wargames. "Just take your time, and you can figure this bit by bit" and at some point it starts to feel like I'm doing my taxes or something.

More
17 Jul 2014 14:57 #182437 by VonTush
Has anyone mentioned Codeword Cromwell yet?
I just placed my order so I haven't played it, but here's the description pulled from BGG:

Codeword Cromwell was produced by the Combined Forces Military College in Greenwich, and is used to train officers of the Combined Defence Force that was established following the cessation of hostilities in March, 1941. This simulation does not reproduce the entire Invasion, but instead concentrates on a single action, the famous ‘Battle of Birkham Stokes’, in which a small group of civilians, Home Guard irregular forces and Regular British soldiers defended the strategically vital Sussex village against advance elements of the German Invasion Force.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.225 seconds