October 09, 2023
2549 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2745 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Buried Gems of the Ameritrash Rehabilitation Movement

More
01 Aug 2014 12:40 #183666 by scissors
There's that game that Barnes (not BizarroBarnes) championed a few years ago, I have never seen it but was intrigued by the idea Train Raider.

What about Micro Mutants? Haven't played but seems AT to me...
The following user(s) said Thank You: wkover

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Aug 2014 12:44 #183667 by SuperflyPete
I was going to add Micro Mutants, it's fun and very trashy.

superflycircus.com/2011/04/micro-mutants...icking-and-flicking/

I just thought everyone had played it so it wasn't a "hidden gem"
The following user(s) said Thank You: wkover

More
01 Aug 2014 12:56 - 01 Aug 2014 12:59 #183668 by wkover
Micro Mutants seems to be grossly underappreciated. It's awesome, though it's usually necessary to place a thin towel under the velvet green mat to get the best wink-flipping.

I'm going to add the Age of Steam: Zombie Apocalypse expansion, just because I can.

I think Arena Maximus is a lot of fun (an early Kevin Wilson design), but we only play one-lap races. It wears out its welcome rather quickly.

I'm also one of the few people alive who enjoys Battle Beyond Space, apparently.

I doubt that Dungeon Raiders counts as AT, but it's a fun cheap card game. I think it's WAY better than Boss Monster.

Leaping Lemmings is pretty cool, and doesn't get as much press as it should.

And of course there's the old school Mad Magazine Game, which is just plain random.

Middle-Earth Quest has a lot of haters, but it's probably my most-played game from 2009. And we still play it.

We play Nightmare once per year, and I laugh myself silly every time. It helps that, inexplicably, I still own a VCR.

Perikles (Martin Wallace) is quite good, and has a ton of die rolling.

Powerboats is a very good racing game with a neat die-locking mechanic. And it lets you jump over an entire island with ramp.

Is Quackshot worth mentioning? It's amazing.

Ring-o Flamingo until I die.

Lest you forget, Shadowlords! still has an enemy called Invincible Darkness. That should be enough to convince you to own a copy.

Unspeakable Words is a word game with dice and Cthulhu mythos.

We Didn't Playtest This At All is still 5 minutes long and pretty fantastic. It also has some of the best flavor text in the business.
Last edit: 01 Aug 2014 12:59 by wkover.

More
01 Aug 2014 13:02 - 01 Aug 2014 13:02 #183669 by scissors

SuperflyTNT wrote: I was going to add Micro Mutants, it's fun and very trashy.

superflycircus.com/2011/04/micro-mutants...icking-and-flicking/

I just thought everyone had played it so it wasn't a "hidden gem"

I haven't and couldn't buy it when FFG was flipping it for like 10 bucks at Xmas, cos I'm in Europe and shipping kills it. now it's OOP, no?
Last edit: 01 Aug 2014 13:02 by scissors.

More
01 Aug 2014 13:06 #183670 by wkover
I dunno. FFG has featured Micro Mutants in their last 5 winter blow-outs. Maybe there's still a warehouse overflowing with MM somewhere in Utah.

More
01 Aug 2014 13:26 #183672 by scissors
Well you can't get it where I am.

More
01 Aug 2014 13:27 #183673 by Michael Barnes
Quackshot rules!

Train Raider is really great...I think at one point Zev had his mitts on it but I don't know what happened there, that was years ago. It needs just a touch of development to smooth over some rough edges, but it's so bad ass. It really is a PU&D rail game, but then there are battle missions where you go shoot at other trains. And it has THE GREATEST RULE OF ALL TIME...if you're behind, you can literally stake the entire game on completing a mission. If you pull it off, you get a massive bonus and could win from being dead last. If you fail, the rail company you represent is left in shambles and shamed out of business. You're eliminated.

I actually just bought Micro _Monsters_ for the kids...it's a streamlined/simpler version of Micro Mutants designed for younger children. Just cost a cool $10. I was thinking about getting the full MM, but they're still too little to fool with much in the way of special powers, etc.

It's just shameful that Battle Beyond Space never got much traction.

Guerilla is horribly, horribly underrated...it kind of fell victim to the Greenwood Curse so the rules are ATROCIOUS but there's a good game in there with some really cool ideas.

More
01 Aug 2014 13:35 #183674 by Chaz
Did people hate Middle-Earth Quest? I thought it sounded cool, and remember reading some positive stuff about it, so I grabbed a copy, but haven't managed to play it yet. The endgame fight with the Nazgul always seemed a bit iffy from reading the rules, but I can live with that.

More
01 Aug 2014 13:37 #183675 by wadenels

Michael Barnes wrote: I actually just bought Micro _Monsters_ for the kids...it's a streamlined/simpler version of Micro Mutants designed for younger children. Just cost a cool $10. I was thinking about getting the full MM, but they're still too little to fool with much in the way of special powers, etc.

I had the full Micro Mutants and we never used all the special stuff anyway. It kind of detracts from the core of the game. We had a lot of fun with but eventually sold Micro Mutants; I've been eyeing Micro Monsters.

Battle Beyond Space is great. Leaping Lemmings is too, but I don't know that I'd call LL AT.

More
01 Aug 2014 13:52 - 01 Aug 2014 13:54 #183677 by Columbob

VonTush wrote: Funny you mention that the mechanics were lifted...Considering (from Wikipedia):
"Moorcock's conception of Chaos also heavily inspired, and in some cases was lifted verbatim by Games Workshop in the creation of its Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 fictional settings. Notably, however, they only briefly used Moorcock's conceptions of Order or the Balance. The descriptions of Chaos, of the eight-pointed star, of the Chaos Lords, the strange multicolored hues of energies, mutations and warping of matter and flesh, and so forth found in the Warhammer settings are all derived directly from Moorcock's works."

A lot of the Warhammer mythos is derived from Moorcock. For example, Ulthuan and the High/Dark Elves are literally lifted straight from Elric's Melniboné.

Colorcrayons wrote: and has an actual D&D theme instead of MB & GW's contrived attempt at ripping D&D off.

Right, as opposed to D&D ripping off every source of mythology and fantasy ever.

Warhammer came about because Rick Priestley et. al. wanted to fight big battles with all of their D&D minis. That is all.
Last edit: 01 Aug 2014 13:54 by Columbob.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds