October 09, 2023
2546 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2744 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Buried Gems of the Ameritrash Rehabilitation Movement

More
02 Aug 2014 00:03 - 02 Aug 2014 00:05 #183734 by VonTush
I way overpaid for Space Crusade and the two expansions but it was so worth it - Sold a sizable Tyranid army to finance it though. I really need to finish my project of adding rare earth magnets to the weapons so they swap out easy. The only flaw from the copy I got was that one of the yellow marines had a weapon peg broke off. For being able to swap out weapons they made that thing tight as hell.

What were your gripes with Mutant Chronicles? I remember you going through them at one point...But don't remember them. I still love the game personally and really like the way the "one" in the all vs one rotates.

Anyone have experience with Blood Berets or Fury of the Clansmen? FotC is a bit of a step up from SotC. And then BB a step up from there and closer in mechanics to the full WarZone game. FotC really interested me but never have had the chance to play.

Also - Speaking of the GW/MB marriage...Does anyone have BattleMasters bits? My son got into my set and broke off a few weapons. I don't remember what off hand but if someone has bits I'll put together an inventory.
Last edit: 02 Aug 2014 00:05 by VonTush.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2014 00:05 #183735 by word_virus

Michael Barnes wrote: Man, they just don't make 'me like Alert Force anymore...that illustration...

Yeah, that's awesome. Reminds me of an Intellivision game cover or something.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
02 Aug 2014 00:45 - 02 Aug 2014 01:54 #183736 by Dogmatix
[q]The only flaw from the copy I got was that one of the yellow marines had a weapon peg broke off. For being able to swap out weapons they made that thing tight as hell.[/q]

VT: do you need a yellow weapon or a yellow marine? I've got a shitload of spare Space Crusade parts [it's amazing how often rare SC parts show up in cheap 40k Space Marine "bitz" job-lots on ebay. I managed to part together both the Dreadnought and Eldar expansions fairly cheaply by buying up those batch lots whenever I spotted primo SC bits mixed in.] so PM me with the part you need

I *think* I still have a Battle Master box. I found a single box with a really battered set mixed in with a nearly unpunched set of BM sprues at a thrift store a while back. Not sure what I still have, but I'll try to hunt that up, too...
Last edit: 02 Aug 2014 01:54 by Dogmatix.

More
02 Aug 2014 01:00 - 02 Aug 2014 01:01 #183738 by VonTush
I'm actually good at this point on the Space Marine, thank you though. He was my first to get magnets so I drilled out the broken off bit and drilled a hole in the weapon and greenstuffed in the magnets. I need to snap some photos of these. I'm very happy with the results and now swapping weapons and setting up a team is a breeze, for yellow at least.

That'd be awesome on BattleMasters. Just left it too long on the floor with little hands that were just starting to crawl so I have no one to blame but myself.
Last edit: 02 Aug 2014 01:01 by VonTush.

More
02 Aug 2014 05:14 #183746 by Erik Twice

Last Alchemist wrote: Escape from Colditz has this as the "Do or Die" cards, which is a mechanic every game should have.

If you haven't played Escape from Colditz do yourself a favor and find a copy to play ASAP. A Classic game that has stood the test of time.

LA

I can say some very good things about Escape from Colditz, but standing the test of time is not one of them. It was a radically innovative game when released but its design technology is 1950s mass market like and it shows.

You can tell that the designer was not much of a gamer because the most obvious strategies causes the game to break or run into difusse rules. Trading too much destroys the early game. Blocking is banned but it's clearly the best strategy so players try to get as close to blocking as possible without breaking the rules. The German player will never win and the "Do or Die" cards are an automatic victory because it's very easy to get a head start and then roll a good bunch of dice for the last section if needed.

An even then, it's a really long for a game with so little strategic depth, when it comes down to it it's a game about going from A to B by rolling 2D6 and that's not really interesting. The theme is amazing, the manual and art design is tremendously evocative and the ideas presented really put your imagination on overdrive but it's simply not a good game.

It's one of those games that really need a remake. A video game set in the castle would be so amazing...
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Ancient_of_MuMu, Colorcrayons, bomber

More
02 Aug 2014 11:10 #183768 by Columbob

Erik Twice wrote:

Last Alchemist wrote: Escape from Colditz has this as the "Do or Die" cards, which is a mechanic every game should have.

If you haven't played Escape from Colditz do yourself a favor and find a copy to play ASAP. A Classic game that has stood the test of time.

LA

I can say some very good things about Escape from Colditz, but standing the test of time is not one of them. It was a radically innovative game when released but its design technology is 1950s mass market like and it shows.

You can tell that the designer was not much of a gamer because the most obvious strategies causes the game to break or run into difusse rules. Trading too much destroys the early game. Blocking is banned but it's clearly the best strategy so players try to get as close to blocking as possible without breaking the rules. The German player will never win and the "Do or Die" cards are an automatic victory because it's very easy to get a head start and then roll a good bunch of dice for the last section if needed.

An even then, it's a really long for a game with so little strategic depth, when it comes down to it it's a game about going from A to B by rolling 2D6 and that's not really interesting. The theme is amazing, the manual and art design is tremendously evocative and the ideas presented really put your imagination on overdrive but it's simply not a good game.

It's one of those games that really need a remake. A video game set in the castle would be so amazing...

The one guy I know who has it always plays to a set time, say 60 or 90 minutes, with clear objectives: escape with 5 guys in 60 minutes or something. The game still works and the flaws you mention are just moot.

More
02 Aug 2014 14:52 #183772 by ChristopherMD
How difficult would a DIY copy of Thunder Road be to make?

More
02 Aug 2014 16:55 - 02 Aug 2014 16:56 #183782 by Gary Sax
I'd submit Conquest of Paradise here. It's a nice, short, compact Civ game. War is rewarded because it isn't very deadly---so you can try risky things that may not work because dudes only die on a 6 roll. It also has the fun hidden islands mechanic as well.

No one really played it because it is in truth a DOAM/AT game, I think, but it was published by GMT in a historical pacific islanders setting.
Last edit: 02 Aug 2014 16:56 by Gary Sax.

More
02 Aug 2014 17:03 #183784 by charlest

Mad Dog wrote: How difficult would a DIY copy of Thunder Road be to make?

I would think it'd be easier/cheaper just to pay $60-$70 for a copy unfortunately. Finding cars in the correct sizes, as well as helicopters will probably cost more than that.

More
02 Aug 2014 17:08 #183786 by VonTush
Rescale for Hotwheels/Matchbox cars...12 cars, they have helicopters, some junk ones for wrecks and some foamcore or posterboard, a box of markers and a straight edge is all you need. Then hit up yore gamestore and find a 40k player and raid their box of bits and do some converting/painting if you desire.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.236 seconds