October 09, 2023
2532 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2730 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Study in Emerald Impressions?

More
03 Sep 2014 20:54 #186465 by Da Bid Dabid
Also when games don't have minis that just makes them ripe for amazing pimp jobs to make one of a kind versions.

A good game is a good game regardless of the bits, but its hard to not recognize the missed potential that amazing components could have added.

I would like to try this game as well but its pricey for a "I don't know", you folks can send it to me instead of Andy to save yourself the overseas shipping.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Sep 2014 21:08 #186467 by SuperflyPete
thats really my point here: for 50 quid, it seems like theres not enough in the box to command the price.

More
03 Sep 2014 21:18 #186470 by Ochobee
Cave Evil is $100 and I wouldn't say that the components are that stellar.

The previously mentioned Moongha reprint is what happens when small publishers get in over their heads trying to pimp out a game.

Da Bid Dabid wrote: A good game is a good game regardless of the bits...

Quoted for truth.

More
03 Sep 2014 21:36 #186472 by Chaz
I've bought enough war games to convince myself that I'm mostly paying for the design, and the components come along for the ride. Higher price for more plain components is the cost of liking shit that's kinda niche.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Sagrilarus, Msample, wadenels

More
03 Sep 2014 22:13 #186474 by Sagrilarus

Chaz wrote: I've bought enough war games to convince myself that I'm mostly paying for the design, and the components come along for the ride. Higher price for more plain components is the cost of liking shit that's kinda niche.

I heartily agree, but I don't think Study in Emerald has very much design in the box either. I'm not a big fan of the "secret roles" thing and that's very hot right now, so maybe I'm not the best guy to ask. But this critter goes for $80 at the discount houses, and felt like a plays-in-an-hour euro. Did I miss something profound in the works when I played?

More
03 Sep 2014 23:05 #186481 by Shellhead

Sagrilarus wrote:

Chaz wrote: I've bought enough war games to convince myself that I'm mostly paying for the design, and the components come along for the ride. Higher price for more plain components is the cost of liking shit that's kinda niche.

I heartily agree, but I don't think Study in Emerald has very much design in the box either. I'm not a big fan of the "secret roles" thing and that's very hot right now, so maybe I'm not the best guy to ask. But this critter goes for $80 at the discount houses, and felt like a plays-in-an-hour euro. Did I miss something profound in the works when I played?

You forgot to drink the special Kool-Aid.

More
04 Sep 2014 07:17 - 04 Sep 2014 07:18 #186491 by JEM

SuperflyTNT wrote: Like you said, personal tastes. You just can't stroll in and make the argument that cubes exude theme and setting as well as a lovely little miniature, and expect that many people (at least here) will agree.

Allow me to forward this link to people who would agree with your standpoint:
www.opinionatedgamers.com

Did I touch a nerve? I rarely expect anyone to agree with me, but I'm beginning to think you may not have actually played the game. It's just not feasible to remember what is on what card when dealing with agent abilities on the board, I also don't think you understand just how crowded the board gets even with chits and 8mm cubes, much less how much time it would take to keep all those figures standing upright. When you have five players moving all this stuff around, being able to clearly see what is happening where is vital to keeping the game moving.

I have no problem with minis, I miss my WH40K and WHFB armies, my Blood Bowl teams, my decades old "good" paints that were still good last I saw them. Minis are just no good for this game. The price is because it's a Treefrog game, and they all seem to be expensive now. I'm not going to defend it.

I also find your final comment smug, condescending, dismissive and basically insulting, and I don't appreciate it. So much for a polite conversation.
Last edit: 04 Sep 2014 07:18 by JEM.

More
04 Sep 2014 08:31 #186493 by ThirstyMan
Insulting comments are par for the course here.

I don't think you'll survive too long if you think that was insulting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
04 Sep 2014 10:17 #186498 by JEM
"Fuck off to a euro-gamer website" isn't a particularly useful contribution, is it? For the record, I don't need people to like the games I like. SuperflyTNT just doesn't understand the game in this topic enough to make any comment about how the components should be.

This is a confrontational euro-game with some thematic elements. The game with all the minis that looks epic is Cthulhu Wars, but that's a different game, and another $170.

BTW, saying that if someone finds insulting comments insulting then they won't last, makes no fucking sense.

More
04 Sep 2014 10:30 #186500 by charlest
This game has always looked interesting (and ugly) to me, and it caught on at a Meetup group I was attending but I never got to try it. I've been tempted a few times but it's one of the few games I find the price point appalling.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tin0men

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.219 seconds