October 09, 2023
2552 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2751 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Space Hulk Re-Release Imminent

More
09 Sep 2014 15:42 #186789 by Michael Barnes
It sounds like the additional content would amount to a counter sheet and maybe four pages of scenario material. Which won't be too hard to just, you know, get a scan of or something. Just sayin'.

It will be interesting to see how the game does in today's marketplace where there are TONS of fucking games like Space Hulk on the market (none of which are as good, mind). All of these Kickstarter miniature games/dudes in a hall titles may actually diminish the game's re-emergence. It's not like 2009 when the only real competition in that area was Descent and what, Tannhauser?

I was ballparking $150 myself, Msample.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Sep 2014 15:47 #186790 by Msample

Chaz wrote: I really hope they offer an upgrade kit for people with the original run of it. I don't know that I'd get it (I'd totally get it), but it'd be nice.

From the same company that publishes new rules sets that obsolete older miniatures on a regular basis ?

Riiiiight.

More
09 Sep 2014 15:57 #186791 by Chaz
A boy can dream!

More
09 Sep 2014 17:11 #186798 by DukeofChutney

Michael Barnes wrote: It sounds like the additional content would amount to a counter sheet and maybe four pages of scenario material. Which won't be too hard to just, you know, get a scan of or something. Just sayin'.

How long will it be for GW send you a cease and desist for this statement?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
09 Sep 2014 17:20 #186799 by Msample
BTW, if you ever have some time, here is a 7 part perspective on Games Workshop . Its a pretty balanced viewpoint and it does a good job explaining of their corporate strategies and why they've done what they've done.

masterminis.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-fut...-games-workshop.html

More
09 Sep 2014 17:26 #186800 by mads b.
I sold mine for more or less what I'd paid for it after it had been sitting in my basement for a couple of years. Sure, it's a great game (it really is), but I don't really play a lot of two player games, and it was a pain to set up. Also, let's not forget that the sculpts were not just bad for the acutual game, but terrible. I like cool minis as much as the next guy, but I also like a game that you can actually play without components toppling over, getting stuck in the ones next to it and whatnot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Cranberries

More
09 Sep 2014 17:51 #186802 by DukeofChutney

Msample wrote: BTW, if you ever have some time, here is a 7 part perspective on Games Workshop . Its a pretty balanced viewpoint and it does a good job explaining of their corporate strategies and why they've done what they've done.

masterminis.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-fut...-games-workshop.html

Thanks for this MS

very interesting. I hadn't gotten any updates on GWs sitrap since the late 00s when they were sprialing the plug hole. Interesting, but that surprising, to see how they turned it around.

More
09 Sep 2014 21:33 #186807 by Shellhead

mads b. wrote: I sold mine for more or less what I'd paid for it after it had been sitting in my basement for a couple of years. Sure, it's a great game (it really is), but I don't really play a lot of two player games, and it was a pain to set up. Also, let's not forget that the sculpts were not just bad for the acutual game, but terrible. I like cool minis as much as the next guy, but I also like a game that you can actually play without components toppling over, getting stuck in the ones next to it and whatnot.

The exact same things bother me about Space Hulk, but not to a great enough degree that I am likely to ever sell mine.

More
09 Sep 2014 22:10 - 09 Sep 2014 22:17 #186812 by Cranberries

Shellhead wrote:

mads b. wrote: I sold mine for more or less what I'd paid for it after it had been sitting in my basement for a couple of years. Sure, it's a great game (it really is), but I don't really play a lot of two player games, and it was a pain to set up. Also, let's not forget that the sculpts were not just bad for the acutual game, but terrible. I like cool minis as much as the next guy, but I also like a game that you can actually play without components toppling over, getting stuck in the ones next to it and whatnot.

The exact same things bother me about Space Hulk, but not to a great enough degree that I am likely to ever sell mine.

I thought Mads was talking about Space Hulk. Sorry, I slipped into English teacher grading-mode. I was bothered by the cluttered feeling of the minis too, but also by the pervasive feeling that I was sitting on this collector's item that I was risking damaging every time I took it out. I think that ideally I want the game with smaller metal monster minis.

I have Incursion, and although it does have a few card combos that get silly, I still like it.
Last edit: 09 Sep 2014 22:17 by Cranberries.

More
10 Sep 2014 09:42 #186823 by Josh Look
I love Space Hulk. It's in the three-way tie with Mage Knight and War of the Ring for my favorite game of all time. It really is the best game of its ilk. I found Incursion to be clumsy (too many diagonals without the ability to move diagonally results in spending your whole turn moving around a fucking corner). Earth Reborn is great, but requires a huge commitment. Forlorn Hope by Victory Point Games is cool, but it still can't touch SH. And Claustrophobia is excellent, but I think it's abstractions takes it out of the running. It really is it's own animal.

Where SH excels far past its many imitators is in how its mechanics supports its theme and vise versa. It's set in the 40k universe but lets not bullshit ourselves, it's Aliens and it's Aliens done as perfectly as it can be done on a tabletop. Yes, it's a puzzle, but it's every bit the toolkit as a Heroscape starter set was.

If SH wasn't the king shit of its genre, we wouldn't be comparing every new dungeon crawler to it whenever a new one comes along.

You know what, fuck it, it's my favorite game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, jay718, Black Barney, wadenels, DukeofChutney

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds