October 09, 2023
2520 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2721 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

D&D Attack Wing / Marvel Dice Masters

More
09 Nov 2014 17:52 #190314 by QPCloudy
I went today to my flgs to get sleeves for my SmashUp and saw these two games. I remember Marvel being HOT a few months ago. Has it held up and still being supported? $15 isn't a bad entry price.

Also just learned about DnD Attack Wing. Looks super cool. What's the deal there?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2014 17:55 #190315 by Bull Nakano
Pretty sure everyone at FAT dumped their dice masters stuff. I know I did.

More
09 Nov 2014 20:03 #190319 by Josh Look
Not I. Dice Masters rules.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
09 Nov 2014 20:19 #190320 by QPCloudy

Josh Look wrote: Not I. Dice Masters rules.

Yeah at $15 it's easy to try in case I don't like it. They had about 5 starters and some boosters as well.

How about dnd attack wing? Any news about that? I could probably get my wife into it as well with the fantasy.

More
09 Nov 2014 23:47 #190327 by VonTush
Dice Masters has had a rough start for some because your average person off the street couldn't walk into a shop and buy product for the first six months. Now with product available I expect to see more players - In a way I consider Uncanny which is what you likely saw it's first real release because the average gamer off the street can buy one and didn't have to jump through hoops to get it. My local shop doesn't turn much WizKids product so he got maybe 6 starters of Avengers vs XMen...So one a month?

So for my shop there wasn't much of a player base, but the demand was there. Other shops had a bit better supply and one has been doing the OP events and averaging a dozen or so I believe (I haven't gone myself). Today though I went to game day, bought a pop, candy bar and bag of ships plus 7 packs of Dice Masters and was out $10. The game rocks, and I was tempted to drop but after pulling it out within the past week or so I decided to keep and continue with Uncanny.

The question is: Have you played Quarriors? Did you like Quarriors? Is a two player limit acceptable? Is collectible acceptable? You'll want to go beyond the starter set though...And if you do let me know and I'll give you a better idea of what to expect.

Keep in mind that this game will have a meta that develops. There are some cards that are just flat out better and there is a tend to gravitate towards those until the next wave comes out shifting the meta. For example in AvX it was either the Black Widow or Green Goblin Super Rare, they were potent cards so they appear a lot. Uncanny I see stuff that I expect to shift that though.

D&D:AW I have picked up the starter and the wizard booster and am only half way through the rules at this point. I have also played XWing and ST:AW from both product launches, so you can say I'm a big fan of the system. There is a lot more rule complexity than I expected. There's more actions, different elevations, melee vs ranged attacks, solo units and block troop formations and a good handful more subtleties compared to the prior iterations of the flight path system.

But that said, it looks very promising. It appears to be a full fledged ground based miniatures game complete with scenery and stuff like that. For example the wizard pack comes with two castle towers and walls and though I haven't read the scenario I assume there's some assault of said castle going on.

Also, all the expansions come with a scenario that ties into an overall story arc. As players progress there is an experience system which grants access to upgrades or extra build points to spend depending on the scenario's outcome.

My gut reaction at this point is that they've learned from ST:AW, incorporated some changes, added a lot more in terms of variety and really opened up the potential of the FlightPath system and incorporated it into something closer to a Warhammer style miniatures game. I am very excited though am going to take a more conservative approach to the purchases...And I am scoping out trying to find a way to run a shop's OP events for the sweet loot.

And again here is where I'll drop the keep in mind that a meta will develop and subsequent releases will shift that meta disclaimer. Casual play following the scenarios you likely won't see issues (at least that's how it is in ST:AW) but there are stuff that is better at performing certain tasks so when that task appears, like elimination of your opponent, you'll see trends develop.

Well...Hopefully that helped a bit? These games are the ones that are right in my wheelhouse right now though.

tl;dr: Beware the meta in competitive environments for both games as I've seen that drive more people away from the game with regret than to the game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brewmiester

More
10 Nov 2014 06:46 #190331 by Brewmiester
VT have you looked at the 2X2 rules for Dice Masters yet?

dicemasters.com/dicemastersdoubles.pdf

I'm new to the game so can't really comment too much. Just picked up a UXM starter and about 20 boosters so far. The local comic shop had some players that are supposedly moving to one of the FLGSs so I hope to hook up with them there.

I'm still reading through AWD&D as well. I like the look of the scenarios as well. The foot units can be different sizes which affects their stats and cost, with little overlays that go on the base card. Dragons basic attacks are range 2 but you can buy upgrade cards for spells or breath weapons. No bonus attack dice at close range and bonus defense at range 4.

We have another X-Wing game Sunday so I'm going to bring AWD&D along to try to drum up some business. And the same FLGS did order the OP kit so I hope to get in on that.

More
10 Nov 2014 07:26 #190332 by QPCloudy
I'll probably pick up the starter for Dicemasters today, and yes it is UXM. I play almost everything super casual, so a grind to get the best cards/units isn't as much a factor. My wife and I didn't really like Quarriors, but I understand LotR dicebuilder and Dicemasters improved the formula? I do still like the overall concept.

More
10 Nov 2014 08:28 #190333 by Josh Look
Dice Masters is quite a bit different from Quarriors. It's more akin to Magic than anything else. I absolutely love how combat works.

I'm a devout ST:AW fan, and the balance of the game was completely thrown out the window with Borg, so yeah, I'd have some reservations about D&D. I don't play competitively so it's not a deal breaker, but Isee where people would be pissed. Dice Masters has some OP stuff, too, but if your just doing kitchen table play, shouldn't be a problem.

More
10 Nov 2014 08:53 #190335 by Shellhead
I tried Marvel Dice Masters once and thought it was a highly over-rated piece of shit. The theme is so thin that it's nearly invisible. The gameplay is clumsy, arbitrary, and procedural. If it's a rip-off on Magic, it's a terrible one, and you are better off just playing Magic.

More
10 Nov 2014 09:36 #190337 by QPCloudy

Shellhead wrote: I tried Marvel Dice Masters once and thought it was a highly over-rated piece of shit. The theme is so thin that it's nearly invisible. The gameplay is clumsy, arbitrary, and procedural. If it's a rip-off on Magic, it's a terrible one, and you are better off just playing Magic.

My wife refuses to play Magic :( She says it's too dark :(

More
10 Nov 2014 10:17 #190339 by VonTush
No eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configurationIf you've played Quarriors the stats are all the same. Except instead of all the creatures being available you have your team and they have theirs - Up to 8 characters and you pick the number of dice on each usually from 1-4. Actions, which are similar to spells, both players bring two to the table and can select from the pool of four.

The process is draw from bag, roll dice, optional re-roll of any/all (not in Quarriors), pay for what you want to buy (no limit to your purchases), summon, attack if you want (unlike Quarriors must attack). A big difference is if you have a character that is Knocked Out from combat it goes into your hand to roll next turn where in Quarriors it goes to your discard and needs to cycle through your bag. The goal is to knock your opponent down from 20 life to 0. But like Josh says, the combat is a lot better with a lot more going on and more decisions to make.

It is built on the Quarrors chassis so I'd argue it is closer to that than Magic. Where it does come close to Magic though is in the team construction, deciding the synergies and strategy for your "deck" and all that deck-construction stuff.

And yes, the game, much like Quarriors isn't thematic outside of pictures and some abilities that I do think represent the characters (where others feel more like dice that happen to have an extra ability). But unlike Shellhead I do like the game.

If you don't want to chase Rares, you can find complete set of commons for really cheap online. Basically the people chasing the Rares and SuperRares unloading lots of stuff from the 2, 3 or 4 gravity feeds they open.

I.e.:

More
10 Nov 2014 10:37 #190343 by Msample
I played a half dozen matches of Uncanny yesterday. Overall, it seems like a better balanced set than AvX. The former had some cards that were insanely powerful for the cost that happened to be Super Rares ( Tsarina, Gobby Goblin ) . Thus the high prices. The Super Rares in Uncanny aren't nearly as dominant, and they've also made the cheaper cards less powerful, including a number of cards with no special powers. While I have my doubts about how useful the Heroic keyword is, we had a lot of fun.

The ludicrous scarcity of starter sets from AvX continues - I have had one on order from my FLGS for over two months now ( I need a second to get extra dice for starter characters ) . They got plenty of new Uncanny stuff, but AvX starters still seem to be scarce as hens teeth.

Its pretty easy and cheap to buy commons/uncommons online. For less than $50 you can get a starter, all commons/uncommons, and have a lot of gameplay in front of you.

More
10 Nov 2014 10:39 #190344 by Sagrilarus
I'm trying to figure out what the over and under is on when Wiz-Kids abandons the dice-building concept. It just isn't all that terribly interesting. It's not bad, but it's not terribly good either. Given that the audience they're marketing to likely has 20+ better titles on the shelf it's not a must-have kind of play.

Wiz Kids reminds me of AEG, where they have a "this is the kind of game we create" sort of view on their business from a mechanical perspective, and they stick with it whether it's working or not. It's like they scored a killer Groupon code for dice manufacturing and want to milk it until it dies.

S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scissors

More
10 Nov 2014 11:18 #190346 by Msample
If they can get their supply chain figured out, I think its got some legs, at least for a couple years. It has the attractiveness of a low price point, which assuming they can stock, retailers love. They've got several more franchises i the pipeline ( D&D, DC Heroes ) so they seem determined to milk it while they can.

When you throw in Attack Wing, they seem to be adopting the FFG tactic of more frequent franchise expansion versus standalone games. Some gaming purists may object, but from a business perspective its hard to find fault with.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
10 Nov 2014 11:42 #190349 by Sagrilarus

Msample wrote: Some gaming purists may object, but from a business perspective its hard to find fault with.

Provided they don't fracture the market too much. To some extent I'm seeing this from both ends of the deal (Marvel and Star Wars across multiple games and same game across multiple licenses), but I'm an old man that isn't as spry as I used to be.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.281 seconds