October 09, 2023
2514 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2712 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Can you feel the fear?

More
22 Dec 2014 10:46 - 22 Dec 2014 10:47 #193181 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Re: Can you feel the fear?

VonTush wrote: Also, how come XWing gets a pass and gets to feel like "Star Wars" when it is a system inspired (loose use of the term) from a WW1/2 dogfighting game and has been transferred to the D&D fantasy setting and the Star Trek universe. To me it feels like I'm playing a game with highly agile remote controlled boats.

Well, SW space battles are WW1/2 dogfights.

Although with no elevation it does kind of feel like super agile RC boats.
Last edit: 22 Dec 2014 10:47 by OldHippy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Colorcrayons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Dec 2014 10:55 #193183 by Colorcrayons

More
22 Dec 2014 11:05 - 22 Dec 2014 11:06 #193185 by VonTush
Replied by VonTush on topic Re: Can you feel the fear?

JonJacob wrote:

VonTush wrote: Also, how come XWing gets a pass and gets to feel like "Star Wars" when it is a system inspired (loose use of the term) from a WW1/2 dogfighting game and has been transferred to the D&D fantasy setting and the Star Trek universe. To me it feels like I'm playing a game with highly agile remote controlled boats.

That is true that SW battles are WWW1/2 dogfights, but XWing is not a WW1/2 dogfight. It's a capital ship combat game, it's a fantasy dragons and wizards combat game, it's playing as a which flying around on the broom, it's driving around in a post-apocalyptic world in tricked out cars.

Point being, XWing gets a pass...Why?

D&D:AW uses largely the same mechanics, but it would never be confused with a WW1/2 dogfight. Same with Star Trek.
Last edit: 22 Dec 2014 11:06 by VonTush.

More
22 Dec 2014 11:06 #193186 by Sagrilarus

JonJacob wrote:

I think they missed a chance to make the movement more interesting. Then again, X-Wing really isn't about movement very much so I suppose it doesn't matter.

More
22 Dec 2014 11:22 #193189 by VonTush
Replied by VonTush on topic Re: Can you feel the fear?

You can play with the core set, no scenario, just two TIEs and an X-Wing dragons squirreling around and by jingo it feels like Star Wars Dungeons & Dragons. The way it moves, the way it resolves. The mechanics feel like Star Wars Dungeons & Dragons.

You can play with the core set, no scenario, just two TIEs and an X-Wing an Enterprise D and Vor'Cha squirreling around and by jingo it feels like Star Wars Star Trek. The way it moves, the way it resolves. The mechanics feel like Star Wars Star Trek.

Serioisly, play Descent 2nd XWing/Star Trek/D&D edition and just say Star Wars XWing/Star Trek/D&D names instead of Terrinoth XWing/Star Trek/D&D ones and it'll be about the same thing.

The problem is I'm arguing against people who are set that their view of what Star Wars should be trumps any other opinion.

More
22 Dec 2014 11:46 #193192 by Sagrilarus
Let's be frank, the best setting for this game is Mad Max. You know it's gonna happen, you may as well wait for that version to come out this Summer.

S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, VonTush, Colorcrayons, wadenels

More
22 Dec 2014 14:56 #193200 by Columbob
Replied by Columbob on topic Re: Can you feel the fear?

Sagrilarus wrote: Let's be frank, the best setting for this game is Mad Max. You know it's gonna happen, you may as well wait for that version to come out this Summer.

S.

Which one:

Attack Wheels;

or

Apocalypse Survival: Descent into scavenging for fuel and supplies?

More
22 Dec 2014 18:53 #193204 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Re: Can you feel the fear?

charlest wrote:

Sevej wrote: Easy. With so little rules, you have more room for imagination supporting your game. The detail of the mechanics doesn't matter. You move Vader up, make an attack, roll dice.

But how does imagining Yoda beat down Mace Windu feel like Star Wars?

If you put Mace Windu to your Star Wars games, then, hey, anything goes.

More
22 Dec 2014 18:58 - 22 Dec 2014 19:00 #193205 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Re: Can you feel the fear?

Colorcrayons wrote:

You could make this discussion a whole lot easier if you could tell me what factors would make a Star Wars tactical game instead of trying to appear smart by linking Youtube video discussing video games that are a whole different world when correlating theme and mechanics.

The same mechanics can be used for various "tones". The way you pace monsters & design scenario, for example, can make the exact same mechanics feel different. Don't get trapped in mechanics, start thinking dynamics.
Last edit: 22 Dec 2014 19:00 by Sevej.

More
22 Dec 2014 20:01 #193206 by Bull Nakano
I was initially very interested in IA, but then I examined what it is and my playing habits and decided it's probably not for me. The all vs. one , the campain play, the $10 single mini expansions, I don't want any of these things. Skirmish? I can already play the WotC game. I own descent 2, I like it but it barely gets played, this would just keep it company. That said I'd very much like to try this out sometime.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds