October 09, 2023
2218 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2438 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Board gaming in prison

More
07 Feb 2016 13:21 - 07 Feb 2016 13:24 #221908 by MacDirk Diggler
Watched the HBO documentary last night about the American Journalist James Foley who was beheaded by ISIS. In it, the other international journalists who were in captivity with him (seventeen at one point) describe what those last months were like and how they tried to cope with the stress and boredom. One of the things they did is they figured out a way to make a game of Risk. Got a sheet of paper and a pencil and sketched out the map. Used fruit and vegetable seeds as tokens. They didn't have any dice, but took a can and put a circular piece of paper on the bottom with numbers 1-6 divided like pieces of pie. They would drop a seed from over the can and look down and see what number it landed on. The games got heated, when someone would alert them to roll up the board the guards are coming. Someone would say, "no wait, I am just about to capture all of Africa"

Anyhow I thought I should share this as it's likely some F:ATty may need this information to get through some future incarceration. I do not want to trivialize the documentary by sharing the boardgames stuff. James Foley was a courageous and inspirational man and it was truly a compelling documentary worth watching. Check it out.
Last edit: 07 Feb 2016 13:24 by MacDirk Diggler.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Columbob, OldHippy, Frohike, repoman, Erik Twice

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Feb 2016 15:35 #221915 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic Board gaming in prison
Dice made from toilet paper, by prisoners

The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob, OldHippy, Erik Twice

More
07 Feb 2016 15:40 #221917 by Hex Sinister
Replied by Hex Sinister on topic Board gaming in prison
I would pimp my game with those.

More
07 Feb 2016 15:52 #221919 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic Board gaming in prison

More
08 Feb 2016 10:07 #221953 by edulis
Replied by edulis on topic Board gaming in prison
I actually work as a prison librarian. I have two shelves of RPGs and recently added a chess board, a shogi board and a Duke set to for use in the library. And there are boardgames in the living units (scrabble, chess, checkers and stratego).

Dice are an issue and are not allowed because of gambling concerns, but I know that the hard-core RPGers have brought polyhedral dice in as 'divination cubes' and count them as a religious item (they are allowed 5 religious items), I've also seen Toilet paper dice and the use of random drawn playing cards as dice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Cranberries, Hex Sinister, ThirstyMan, Frohike

More
08 Feb 2016 10:17 #221955 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Board gaming in prison
I'm going to look for this documentary, thanks for the tip!

On a lighter note, back when I was reading KODT my favorite storyline was when they were playing in a bar and this ex-convict, Crutch...I think, joined their rpg session because from what he overheard he thought they were planning some sort of bank heist. I think the KODT crew were playing western rpg at the time. Anyway, Crutch's ex-con 'mate' calls the cops on them and the KODT crew get sent to jail til the authorities can sort out what they were planning. While in jail, the Knights (or was it the Blakhand group now that I think about it...) comment about how this jail/prison situation is great as they can game all day because they in the slammer they have no responsibilities, food is prepped for them, etc. They whittle dice out of soap. I have no idea what issues this was in, but it was the only storyline I reread over and over.

More
08 Feb 2016 13:26 #221989 by Hex Sinister
Edulis, are RPG's popular in prison? Is there a favorite?

More
09 Feb 2016 10:59 #222061 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic Board gaming in prison

edulis wrote: I actually work as a prison librarian. I have two shelves of RPGs and recently added a chess board, a shogi board and a Duke set to for use in the library. And there are boardgames in the living units (scrabble, chess, checkers and stratego).

Dice are an issue and are not allowed because of gambling concerns, but I know that the hard-core RPGers have brought polyhedral dice in as 'divination cubes' and count them as a religious item (they are allowed 5 religious items), I've also seen Toilet paper dice and the use of random drawn playing cards as dice.

So playing cards are fine re gambling but dice are not? That's fucking mental.

More
09 Feb 2016 12:16 #222068 by edulis
Replied by edulis on topic Board gaming in prison

Hex Sinister wrote: Edulis, are RPG's popular in prison? Is there a favorite?

They are really popular with a smallish crowd. It is a little surprising, the CSC guys tend to be nerdy and like to game (not surprising), but there is a crowd that is exposed to RPGs while in prison or re-find them from their youth and use them as an escape or time-filler. Yup - Big black guy with gold teeth, saggy pants and prison tattoos telling you about his 7th level halfling cleric is a bit stereo-type crushing. They are also popular for inspiring art works.

Pathfinder/ D&D 3.5 is by far the most popular. We have a small following for Shadowrun. I also have 5 Call of Cthulhu RPG books (because that's what I would want to play, but inmates apparently do not care for the mythos), some Palladium stuff, Song of Ice and Fire RPG, GURPS, FFG's Star Wars, I used to have Dark Heresy but it was stolen. So maybe its popular and being played in secret somewhere.

Also have D&D 4.0 and Legend of the Five Rings but they gets no love.

The theft rate for the role-playing books is so high I keep them behind the circulation desk, and they still get stolen! I also have my clerks count the pages each time they are return to make sure there is nothing has been ripped out.

Thirstyman- prison rules frequently fail to make sense. I guess craps is worse than poker??? They actually provide free decks of cards with cold cases on them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Hex Sinister, Columbob, OldHippy, ThirstyMan, Frohike, Sevej

More
09 Feb 2016 12:21 #222069 by ThirstyMan
What's CSC?

More
09 Feb 2016 13:18 #222076 by Hex Sinister
Guards don't want to be hit in the eye with a d12 covered in shit.

Anyway, very interesting, thank you.

More
09 Feb 2016 14:56 - 09 Feb 2016 14:59 #222085 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic Board gaming in prison

ThirstyMan wrote: What's CSC?

Carrying Secret Candy

Can't Stop Crying

Couldn't See the Cops

Canadians Sometimes Cackle

update (I finally was able to Google it): Criminal Sexual Conduct

"They actually provide free decks of cards with cold cases on them. " <---that is really interesting.
Last edit: 09 Feb 2016 14:59 by Cranberries. Reason: the truth was out there.

More
10 Feb 2016 10:27 #222175 by ThirstyMan
Christ, I feel like everyone is talking a fucking different language here. What the shit is a cold case?

More
10 Feb 2016 10:34 #222178 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Board gaming in prison

ThirstyMan wrote: Christ, I feel like everyone is talking a fucking different language here. What the shit is a cold case?

An open case that has absolutely no leads. They put them on playing cards in the hopes that a prisoner might know something.

More
10 Feb 2016 10:36 #222180 by bendgar
Replied by bendgar on topic Board gaming in prison
A criminal investigation that has gone "cold" (unsolved due to no new information)

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.244 seconds