October 09, 2023
2614 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2810 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Talisman: Dungeon question

More
22 Apr 2009 23:18 #26659 by benny lava
So, I picked up Talisman (4th ed.) a couple of months ago. We've only played it once so far, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. What's the consensus among Talisman vets here about the Dungeon expansion? Worth picking up?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2009 01:01 #26669 by MattFantastic
I dunno, but it's on Amazon for preorder pretty cheap for those that are interested. I also can't decide if we REALLY need to pick it up now.

More
23 Apr 2009 02:05 #26675 by KingPut
A copy of Talisman: Dungeon just arrived at my house. I didn't order it, it just showed up. The Toady fairy must have just delivered it to me. When Uba arrives at my house next Wednesday I'll have to show it off to her. She'll be so jealous I have a copy of Dungeon before she does.

More
23 Apr 2009 04:01 #26680 by schlupp
We used to play all expansions at the same time (the more the better) in the classic GW Talisman. And Dungeons was the one nobody ever went into. You just walked around in a circle and lost time without gaining any significant advantages. Especially as there was the City (great jobs), Timescape (goofy gadgets) and a huge amount of Dragons (with really powerful equipment mixed in the normal adventure cards) as alternative. Once you were out of the dungeon other players often had gained an advantage on you, and you had to catch up.

But, that was classical Talisman: Dungeons. I have no idea what the FFG version will be like, but as it is the only expansion for now (in addition to the reaper), I would give it a try. Talisman just needs expansions. And I'm sure FFG will balance out the (future) expansions, more than GW did in the past.

More
23 Apr 2009 08:12 #26687 by Stephen Avery
We did just the opposite. The dungeon lets you skip right to the Crown of command without having to go through the inner region. If some one was close to getting the crown, the dungeon was often your only chance to catch up to them.

Steve"Talismonger"Avery

More
23 Apr 2009 08:19 #26689 by Aarontu
I haven't played the new one yet, but it looks good. If you don't have the Reaper expansion, you should definitely get that one, though. It adds a ton of adventure cards and spells.

More
23 Apr 2009 09:29 #26694 by Michael Barnes
One of the cool things about the new edition is that you can play JUST the Dungeon for a shorter game.

I'm in the "all expansions" boat on this one. Get 'em all. The Dungeon is fun, and it does add an alternate path to the Crown of Command.

More
23 Apr 2009 13:04 #26718 by Aarontu
Yeah, I'll definitely be getting it, too. It's actually the only boardgame thing I'm intent on buying right now. What's a fantasy quest game without the obligatory dungeon crawl?

More
23 Apr 2009 16:13 #26752 by ubarose
KingPut wrote:

A copy of Talisman: Dungeon just arrived at my house. I didn't order it, it just showed up. The Toady fairy must have just delivered it to me. When Uba arrives at my house next Wednesday I'll have to show it off to her. She'll be so jealous I have a copy of Dungeon before she does.

Don't you mess with my Dungeon you dickhead. If you open the box and let all the new game smell out I will bite you.

More
23 Apr 2009 21:23 #26787 by benny lava
Thanks all - ordered it today.

More
06 May 2009 00:42 #28017 by KingPut
Uba, A Strange Aeon and American Megafuna Dan played Talisman 4th with the Dungeon on Sunday. Personally, I was having the Talisman game from hell. It was fun playing with the gang but I had the worst luck in the world. I played the Dwarf on the 2nd turn I got fools gold and lost my gold. A couple turn later I was excited because I got the mighty Warhorse but the very next turn the horse thief stole my warhorse. Then I went a stretch where 8 out of 10 cards I drew were events. I finally got a friend and it was a poltergeist. With about 10 turns left in game I finally got a weapon. Uba didn't have much luck either. She played the Philosopher and died quickly but came back as a troll.

American Megafuna Dan on the other hand had incredible luck. He had like 8 items and 6 friends after about 15 turns and he was the magician so he could always have a spell ready to help him out. Our only hope was A Strange Aeon the Assassin who came close to killing Dan. Dan won fairly easily but Uba the troll did almost grab the crown of command in the end.

As for the Dungeon, it seems to work pretty well. There seems to be a lot of encounters that you need craft so it helped that AM Dan was a magician. Because there is a lot of creatures you have fight in the dungeon you can build up your strength and craft pretty quickly in dungeon.

The big question we had was "Should players be able to ride a horse (roll 2 dice) in dungeon?" It's not in the rules but we said no. You don't lose the horse but you speed is limited to 1 dice.

More
06 May 2009 04:39 #28023 by sydo
Replied by sydo on topic Re:Talisman: Dungeon question
If I remember correctly, in the 2nd edition, you had to leave the horse by the entrance to the dungeon.

More
06 May 2009 10:12 #28033 by ubarose
The new dungeon doesn't prohibit bringing mules and horses into the dungeon. We read the rules three times to confirm this. However, Talisman isn't a perfectly balanced mathmatical formula game, so you can create house rules without throwing off the game play. Personally, I prefer the ability to take horses and mules into the dungeon. Since Talisman is essentially a race game with a strong hand management aspect, and horses/mules typically increase your hand size, or give you movement options, requiring that you leave them at the entrance discourages players from going into the dungeon. You end up with an under used expansion. However, adding a little chrome, such as you can lead a riding or war horse into the dungeon, so you don't have to leave it behind, but can't use it while in the dungeon makes sense and adds a touch of flavor to the game. Really, you can lead a horse into tight spaces, like a stable or a trailer, but you certainly wouldn't ride it into a tight space at full speed.

More
06 May 2009 11:54 - 06 May 2009 14:29 #28039 by Aarontu
The magic carpet, warhorse, and riding horse seem to be allowed by the rules as-written, though they could be easily house ruled so that you can't use them in the dungeon. Not sure how I feel about the horse and cart.
Last edit: 06 May 2009 14:29 by Aarontu.

More
06 May 2009 13:09 #28052 by ubarose
I tried to argue that the war horse, riding horse, mule, and horse and cart should slow you down in the dungeon and that you should have to subtract 1 from your die roll, but I got shouted down. We just ended up playing the rules as written, so everything worked normally in the dungeon.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.289 seconds